• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Glad I've got a private well for my water.

400 feet deep and the only thing it cost me is the electricity to run the pump. Pure mountain water.

You city folks though, get ready.

More bad news: U.S. water bills to triple....

First high gas prices, now water. A shocking new report about the nation's crumbling drinking water system says that Americans should expect their bills to double or triple to cover repairs just to keep their faucets pouring. That means adding up to $900 a year more for water, nearly equal the amount of the newly extended payroll tax cut.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/02/more-bad-news-us-water-bills-triple/317086

degsme

Council Member
400 feet deep and the only thing it cost me is the electricity to run the pump. Pure mountain water.

You city folks though, get ready.

More bad news: U.S. water bills to triple....

First high gas prices, now water. A shocking new report about the nation's crumbling drinking water system says that Americans should expect their bills to double or triple to cover repairs just to keep their faucets pouring. That means adding up to $900 a year more for water, nearly equal the amount of the newly extended payroll tax cut.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/02/more-bad-news-us-water-bills-triple/317086
And again innumeracy on display. Water prices tripling still makes them cheaper than operating your own well. And no it does not mean ading $900/yr more for water.
Try again.

And again innumeracy on display. Water prices tripling still makes them cheaper than operating your own well. And no it does not mean ading $900/yr more for water.
Try again.
Not true Degs,

I too have my own well and my electric runs me 69$ a month and if the electric fails I have a backup generator. Drink up Sarge, we're in better shape than those city slickers.

Bo-4

Senator
Ever had that well water tested Sarge? I used to be in the industrial and well water treatment biz. It was insane the garbage in some of the private wells we tested. If you grow gils, a 3rd arm or something strange that'll be your sign.

Better get a 5 gallon a day reverse osmosis system for drinking (cost = around $300) I'd trust the wells around Boise about as far as i could throw 'em.

Try again.
It costs me an average of $250 a year in electricity and maintenance.

When I went to school $250 was LESS than $900.

Has that changed?

Ever had that well water tested Sarge? I used to be in the industrial and well water treatment biz. It was insane the garbage in some of the private wells we tested. If you grow gils, a 3rd arm or something strange that'll be your sign.
Yes I have had it tested when we drilled it, and since my wife and I have been drinking it for over 20 years, and are healthy, I believe the test was correct.

By the way, my water has zero grains of hardness, but has a rather low PH of 5.0 (high acidity.) I have a neutralizer to bring the PH up to 7.5 which uses about $150.00 worth of medium every two years.

Other than that, it's cool, clear, tastes good and is plentiful.

That assumes no failure. My bro just had a failure. $10k to dig a new well...
Unless he lives in a state run by Liberal, I think your bro. got ripped off. The only reason he'd have to drill a new well is if his existing well went dry or was polluted.

It shouldn't cost over $10 a foot for drilling a well. That's the going rate.

degsme

Council Member
Yes I have had it tested when we drilled it, and since my wife and I have been drinking it for over 20 years, and are healthy, I believe the test was correct.
but you have no control over the water table or what happens "up-plume". Wells collapse, fail etc. You are not including in your costs the Amortized cost of drilling the well, the associated "opportunity cost" - and the risk premium associated with failure (you have to multiply the cost of a new well, times the likelhood of it needing to be drilled).

So your costs are significanlty HIGHER than the $250 run time maintenance aka OpEx (Operational Expense) costs.

So your costs are already higher than "city water" - but because you don't actually account for it accurately, just like most conservatives don't actually account full COGS - you don't actually compare apples to apples in your cost analysis.

No wonder GOP Economics are so scrwed up

Bo-4

Senator

By the way, my water has zero grains of hardness, but has a rather low PH of 5.0 (high acidity.) I have a neutralizer to bring the PH up to 7.5 which uses about $150.00 worth of medium every two years.

Other than that, it's cool, clear, tastes good and is plentiful.
Wow.. zero grains is pretty rare man. We had 1 grain water over in Portland and a TDS (Total Dissolved Solid) count under 15.. when i moved there and tested it, i realized i'd need to find a new profession.

SoCal had some serious junk wells pushing 50 grains of hardness and 1500 TDS counts. Had to put a softener in front of an RO so's not to clog the filters and membrane. 20 years is a long time between tests. Even a good well like yours should probably be tested every few years. All kinds of bad things can seep in over time, but if your out in the country with no industry around then you're likely good.

Wow.. zero grains is pretty rare man. We had 1 grain water over in Portland and a TDS (Total Dissolved Solid) count under 15.. when i moved there and tested it, i realized i'd need to find a new profession.

SoCal had some serious junk wells pushing 50 grains of hardness and 1500 TDS counts. Had to put a softener in front of an RO so's not to clog the filters and membrane. 20 years is a long time between tests. Even a good well like yours should probably be tested every few years. All kinds of bad things can seep in over time, but if your out in the country with no industry around then you're likely good.

When we lived in Illinois, we had a rather shallow 70 foot well with extremely hard water and a very high iron content that would actually turn your clothes red when you washed them. We had a softener and a device which took care of the iron.

Here our well is 400 ft deep and the water will actually frost a glass on a hot day, and is perfectly clear. The county health department tests wells for free if you bring them the sample. Other than the high acidity, which can damage plumbing fixtures over a period of time if not corrected, the water here is far superior to what we had in Illinois.

but you have no control over the water table or what happens "up-plume". Wells collapse, fail etc. You are not including in your costs the Amortized cost of drilling the well, the associated "opportunity cost" - and the risk premium associated with failure (you have to multiply the cost of a new well, times the likelhood of it needing to be drilled).
With the highest annual rainfall in the nation of 55 inches of average annual rainfall, we don't have to worry about wells going dry. In fact, I've never heard of one going dry down here.

As far as collapsing, our well has a corrosion proof liner all the way down the shaft to prevent that from happening.

Now if we had an earth quake large enough, I suppose it's possible for the well to collapse. But if that happened we'd have far bigger problems.

degsme

Council Member
With the highest annual rainfall in the nation of 55 inches of average annual rainfall, we don't have to worry about wells going dry. In fact, I've never heard of one going dry down here.
Rainfall is surface water. Well water better not be surface water or you are in a heck of a lot of potential trouble. Wells go dry, climate shifts, water tables shift. All it takes is for someone to build a development "up-plume" that you had not antiicipated. Again, you are not including in your costs any of the amortized "black swan" effects that a shared "public" water system amortizes.

BP thought it too had a very good liner in their Ociean Horizon well.

Again, you are simply failiing to cost in the full Cost Of Operations. Its like the guy I know who leased a Porsche the moment he got a job paying $50k. And had to sell the lease after 9 mos because he couldn't afford to pay for the tires out of his monthly budget and had not allocated contingency funds on a month by month basis.

Its bad economic analaysis on your part.

degsme

Council Member
Unless he lives in a state run by Liberal, I think your bro. got ripped off. The only reason he'd have to drill a new well is if his existing well went dry or was polluted.
And its going dry. And it is over 100' deep through granite bedrock. $10/foot doesn't cover the cost of drilling through solid rock

Rainfall is surface water. Well water better not be surface water or you are in a heck of a lot of potential trouble. Wells go dry, climate shifts, water tables shift. All it takes is for someone to build a development "up-plume" that you had not antiicipated. Again, you are not including in your costs any of the amortized "black swan" effects that a shared "public" water system amortizes
You are free to compare an oil well which is over five thousand feet deep with a water well that is 400 feet deep; who can argue with such logic?

And where do you think ground water comes from: it comes from underground streams, tributaries, and cavities that collect water from the surface.

Why do you keep trying to cram ten pounds of bullcrap in a five pound bag?

Oh, I forgot, you are a liberal progressive Marxist. and the ideology that you practice is based on lies, and has caused more human suffering and misery than any other single fact of history.

Any one who cares to study world history realizes that.

degsme

Council Member
You are free to compare an oil well which is over five thousand feet deep with a water well that is 400 feet deep; who can argue with such logic?
You presented your well as representative. a 400' deep well is at serious danger from surface water contamination. And again the issue here is your Risk Weighted Cost... something you did not include in your analysis.

In your case its AT LEAST $4,000 since a replacement well would be at least as deep.

You presented your well as representative. a 400' deep well is at serious danger from surface water contamination. And again the issue here is your Risk Weighted Cost... something you did not include in your analysis.

In your case its AT LEAST $4,000 since a replacement well would be at least as deep.
Yeah, and I'm at danger from CO2, transfats, cancer, lead and mercury poisoning, Fritos, and Potato chips. At least according to the Obamunists.

The fact is that when you live in a community of 1500 people at an elevation of 4,000 feet, the most serious danger we face is from low flying aircraft, of which there aren't many.

So excuse me if I don't pay attention to your nonsense.

Amazing that I've been around for 65 years and that my parents and grandparents all lived into their 90's.

Where do you get your ignorance from?