• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Go on the record - your thoughts on Ebola

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Ebola incredibly seems to be a partisan issue? How that is possible I don't know. Democrats say Ebola isn't a big deal and Republicans are just causing fear by talking about it.

I don't personally see how ones opinion about Ebola whether you think its serious or not can possibly be based along partisan lines.

Go on the record here and tell us what you think will happen with the disease, how big or small it will get, and what you recommend doing about it.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I believe Ebola is and will continue to be a huge problem in Africa. I don't believe it will spread to more than 1,000 people in the USA or any country that has quality hospitals.

I don't believe anyone in the USA should fear it anymore than anything else that could kill them.

I am for closing off entry for anyone to the USA from those countries most affected.

connieb

Senator
Ebola incredibly seems to be a partisan issue? How that is possible I don't know. Democrats say Ebola isn't a big deal and Republicans are just causing fear by talking about it.

I don't personally see how ones opinion about Ebola whether you think its serious or not can possibly be based along partisan lines.

Go on the record here and tell us what you think will happen with the disease, how big or small it will get, and what you recommend doing about it.

I think that the Gov't is deliberately misrepresenting the ease with which you can contract this disease. If we do not at the very least start quarantining people identified at risk for the 21 day incubation period, we will likely end up with a serious problem.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

IMO Ebola is going to spread at a rate that is going to be a disaster and if it becomes Airborne, hell will visit USA.
2nd Dallas medical worker now has Ebola and unknown how many the 2 have had contact with.
The Doctor that treated Ebola just had to have a cup of coffee and went to coffee house, they now have cops making sure she stays home........

IMO-----it's going to be worse than many expect, Θ still allowing flights from Africa and borders wide open..........terrorist may bring it openly.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I think that the Gov't is deliberately misrepresenting the ease with which you can contract this disease. If we do not at the very least start quarantining people identified at risk for the 21 day incubation period, we will likely end up with a serious problem.
by the time detected, it will be impossible to know exact number of people that were in contact with Ebola patient...........especially if patient is active clubber/etc.

justoffal

Senator

I'll take Michael Savage's view on the matter...

He simply deals with it by renaming the POTUS " Barack Obola "

democrats are campaigning on "ebola epidemic caused by budget cuts", which is transparently/desperately false.

fox is over-hyping (for now) - the impact within our borders. what happens next is far from certain, however.

the CDC has so far been incorrect in every one of its predictions and analyses, including blaming nurse pham for her own infection (nurses unions took to the streets in her defense)

america's crowded urban environment (public transportation, homeless shelters, sports arenas) and prisons have the potential to rapidly advance the contagion, far faster than it is spreading in rural african villages.

i continue to await government sponsored public health announcements about the prudent steps citizens should take to protect themselves and families. until those begin airing, charges of government mismanagement seem to hit the mark.

connieb

Senator
democrats are campaigning on "ebola epidemic caused by budget cuts", which is transparently/desperately false.

fox is over-hyping (for now) - the impact within our borders. what happens next is far from certain, however.

the CDC has so far been incorrect in every one of its predictions and analyses, including blaming nurse pham for her own infection (nurses unions took to the streets in her defense)

america's crowded urban environment (public transportation, homeless shelters, sports arenas) and prisons have the potential to rapidly advance the contagion, far faster than it is spreading in rural african villages.

i continue to await government sponsored public health announcements about the prudent steps citizens should take to protect themselves and families. until those begin airing, charges of government mismanagement seem to hit the mark.

Our school district just sent out an email with their infectious disease protocols. I guess they were getting a lot of questions. Rightly so, really. It happened that this guy landed in Dallas, but there is nothing stopping another from landing turning up in the DC metro area. And, of course, MD is a pretty densely populated State. Maybe I will try to get my BJ's run in this weekend afterall.

connie

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
The latest to be infected, a 26 year old... recently took a flight from Ohio to Texas.

100+ people to be interviewed by CDC.

If we take as a baseline that the average of 'persons encountered' by each of those now identified with the illness..is 100. and each of those persons may encounter 100 other persons...

What is the likelihood that another person will contract the disease in Ohio? I say pretty good, given that the latest two who now have it, that cared for Duncan...even with the highest degree of protection....did contract the disease.

Fear mongering? no.

Damn proper to be concerned. yes.

It is a scam -

connieb

Senator
The latest to be infected, a 26 year old... recently took a flight from Ohio to Texas.

100+ people to be interviewed by CDC.

If we take as a baseline that the average of 'persons encountered' by each of those now identified with the illness..is 100. and each of those persons may encounter 100 other persons...

What is the likelihood that another person will contract the disease in Ohio? I say pretty good, given that the latest two who now have it, that cared for Duncan...even with the highest degree of protection....did contract the disease.

Fear mongering? no.

Damn proper to be concerned. yes.
The interesting thing is that these nurses have been infected, but his family members sharing the same small apartment with him for days while he was displaying symptoms so far have not come down with it. It seems to me should look at why that may be.

connie

Jen

Senator
The Democrats [who produced an ad with Paul Ryan throwing granny off a cliff in her wheel chair] HATE it when anyone [else] seems to be using anything to scare people.
That is a side issue and isn't even relevant to the problem with ebola.

To answer your question:
I believe that ebola in the US will be worse than it has to be due to our government's refusal to shut off flights from the affected nations and to find a way to quarantine anyone coming from those nations before allowing them into the general populace.

I don't think we will have a huge epidemic of ebola in the US,
but even now, we have more cases of it than we needed to have because our Leader(s) came out and told us we have nothing to fear - it won't come here - and many people still believe our leaders even with ebola cases popping up in our country.

And yes. The CDC is misleading us.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Since this is SW's thread.......off topic for a bit.......

everything was so fast this morning and now it's taking a while for post to open/load and this:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@politicaljack.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at www.politicaljack.com Port 80

Thought this would be the place to post it so SW can see it..........now back to Ebola....thx

Jen

Senator
Since this is SW's thread.......off topic for a bit.......

everything was so fast this morning and now it's taking a while for post to open/load and this:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@politicaljack.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at www.politicaljack.com Port 80

Thought this would be the place to post it so SW can see it..........now back to Ebola....thx
It's been deadly slow for me too, dawg. I had to open another tab to see if my post posted.... it was still saying it hadn't on the tab where I wrote it.

Klunker

Council Member
Ebola is a global crisis. Thousands more will die in Africa. Hundreds will die in the U.S. and Europe before the epidemic is controlled. Sad, but no one can wave a magic wand and make the reality go away.
In the past, the U.S. has weathered epidemics of the plague, small pox, and various other killer diseases. The U.S. has benefited from the American spirit pulling people together to find solutions and stop the spread of dreaded diseases. Today, we have half of our population wanting to see people die just to make the POTUS look bad. Some insane reasoning has the right wing talking heads telling their minions that the ebola outbreaks in the U.S. are the fault of this President and the more deaths the better it will weigh polticially. We are a different Country... a much more dividied Country that when we successfully fought off other epidemics.
We will meet and defeat, as Americans, all maladies that come our way. Lives will be lost until we find the correct and effective means of defeating this one. Sad that more lives than necessary will be lost, simply because some will not want to be part of the solution due to political stubborness.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I believe Ebola is and will continue to be a huge problem in Africa. I don't believe it will spread to more than 1,000 people in the USA or any country that has quality hospitals.

I don't believe anyone in the USA should fear it anymore than anything else that could kill them.

I am for closing off entry for anyone to the USA from those countries most affected.
1. Unless you get every other country on the planet to quarantine those countries then your efforts will be useless. The guy who came to die in Texas was traveling through Belgium. What if he simply didn't come to the US, but infected a Belgian while there?
How can it possibly work?
2. The best course is to attack the disease at the source, rather than attempt to track every traveler on earth to see who they have been in contact with.
3. I would agree that it is very unlikely that we'd see more than a few patients in the US, but I think it is a disease that should remain a priority for all health agencies and a focused research effort.