• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

GOP Sen. Flake compares Trump to Stalin

EatTheRich

President
How so? Seems stats have negative coverage of him at 90%.. what censorship.
Threatening to sue journalists ... encouraging violence against journalists ... who knows what other methods he'll use in the future.

The press has no obligation to cover the president positively.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Threatening to sue journalists ... encouraging violence against journalists ... who knows what other methods he'll use in the future.

Journalist have been sued long before Trump, soooooooooooooooooooooo
Journalist don't have a constitutional right to post known fraud......

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

Seems they're doing just fine

Bugsy McGurk

President

Don’t forget his threats to the broadcasting licenses of networks whose coverage displeases him.

Quite Stalinesque.

Bugsy McGurk

President
I see. So your position is that you know just as much as Flake does regarding his words and intent. That is all. You couldn't possibly entertain me anymore on this issue than you just did.

Carry on.
First, I would be remiss if I did not your customary dodge of my question, and I hate being remiss.

And as you know, I said nothing about his alleged “intent.” I spoke of his words, set forth in a written statement.

EatTheRich

President
They have an obligation to report the truth
False ... a Fox affiliate has gone to court to confirm a 1st Amendment right to lie on the air. They can't commit libel. But "libel" is not an honest mistake, much less factual information that reflects poorly on the president (the vast majority of what he is denouncing).

Emily

NSDAP Kanzler
You know it's all bluster, right? He's not going to actually do anything except talk trash. And if he did it would never be upheld in court.

EatTheRich

President
You know it's all bluster, right? He's not going to actually do anything except talk trash. And if he did it would never be upheld in court.
What makes you think he would respect a court ruling ... unless forced to do so by the strength of the resistance to totalitarianism ... which is what is holding him back now?

Emily

NSDAP Kanzler
What makes you think he would respect a court ruling ... unless forced to do so by the strength of the resistance to totalitarianism ... which is what is holding him back now?
He's not a dictator. We have a hardy system in America. The Executive can't simply ignore the Judiciary or the Legislature. He would abide by a court ruling whether he wants to or not; he'd have no choice. Witness the "travel ban."

U.S. Presidents have chaffed against the checks & balances system for a long time. We still have no totalitarian dictator. The Republic even survived FDR (though not unscathed). What the left screeches about Trump in this regard now, the right screeched about Obama before. It's not "the strength of the resistance to totalitarianism" that's holding back Trump; it's the American system of government, anti-totalitarian by design.

D

Deleted member 21794

First, I would be remiss if I did not your customary dodge of my question, and I hate being remiss.

And as you know, I said nothing about his alleged “intent.” I spoke of his words, set forth in a written statement.
So you concede Flake understands what he said more than you do. Noted.

You're halfway there.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
So it's OK for the president to use totalitarian methods if he isn't immediately successful? In Nazi Germany it took about 4 years for the opposition press to be muzzled.
which of these Totolitarian tactics do you feel exist today?

• Having a dictatorship
  • Employing only one ruling party
  • Rule through fear
  • Censorship of media
  • Propaganda in media, government speeches and through education
  • Criticism of the state is prohibited
  • Mandatory military sign up
  • Secret police forces
  • Controlling reproduction of the population (either in hopes to increase or to decrease)
  • Targeting of specific religious or political populations
  • Development of a nationalist party

Read more at http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-totalitarianism.html#vZ0WeVSd1Io65XiR.99

EatTheRich

President
He's not a dictator. We have a hardy system in America. The Executive can't simply ignore the Judiciary or the Legislature. He would abide by a court ruling whether he wants to or not; he'd have no choice. Witness the "travel ban."

U.S. Presidents have chaffed against the checks & balances system for a long time. We still have no totalitarian dictator. The Republic even survived FDR (though not unscathed). What the left screeches about Trump in this regard now, the right screeched about Obama before. It's not "the strength of the resistance to totalitarianism" that's holding back Trump; it's the American system of government, anti-totalitarian by design.
The Weimar Republic was anti-totalitarian by design too. What you are ignoring is that a Constitutional order depends on a balance of power among classes and when this balance is disrupted the constitutional norms are undermined.