• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Gopher problem

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I know this is from out of left field for the environment page. But here goes: I am having a problem with gophers on my lawn. I have tried everything I've heard of so far---Juicy Fruit gum, repellants, poisons, flooding their holes with water. Nothing works. No matter what I do, I see new fresh mounds of dirt every morning( their calling card). Do any of you have any ideas?

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
I know this is from out of left field for the environment page. But here goes: I am having a problem with gophers on my lawn. I have tried everything I've heard of so far---Juicy Fruit gum, repellants, poisons, flooding their holes with water. Nothing works. No matter what I do, I see new fresh mounds of dirt every morning( their calling card). Do any of you have any ideas?
Ms. Sunset,

You didn't mention traps. They generally work. Poisons don't tend to work too well because they don't go for the bait. You might also try finding the end a hole, digging it up until you find the tunnel, then drop a big chunk of dry ice in.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
I have heard that hooking a hose to the gas pipe of the car and putting it down the hole works, but I don't have conformation that works.
As a kid I used to hire out to people to rid them of gophers. I used a bow and error. I doubt kids do those things any more.
Good luck.

Jen

Senator
My neighbor says dog poop keeps them away. She has two big dogs and lines the back her lawn (our yards have a forested area at the back ends) with their poop and there are no gophers. When we first moved here, we had a few mounds but since the dogs came..........none. This isn't scientific, but maybe you can research and see if there's anything to it.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I have heard that hooking a hose to the gas pipe of the car and putting it down the hole works, but I don't have conformation that works.
As a kid I used to hire out to people to rid them of gophers. I used a bow and error. I doubt kids do those things any more.
Good luck.
Thanks, Fast Eddy. I'll ask my son about the gas pipe idea; maybe he can do it. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I appreciate your response.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
My neighbor says dog poop keeps them away. She has two big dogs and lines the back her lawn (our yards have a forested area at the back ends) with their poop and there are no gophers. When we first moved here, we had a few mounds but since the dogs came..........none. This isn't scientific, but maybe you can research and see if there's anything to it.
My daughter keeps her dog in my back yard, so I have access to lots of dog poop. I'm going to try that one today, Jen. Thank you.

Jen

Senator
My daughter keeps her dog in my back yard, so I have access to lots of dog poop. I'm going to try that one today, Jen. Thank you.
I just googled it and it said to put the poop down the gopher holes. I don't think my neighbor did that. But maybe near the holes would help. I see lots of gopher holes as I drive down the street but we have none in the yard and we've been here almost 10 years.......... so maybe the dog poop thing has worked.

Not sure where you live, but are you sure they're gophers and not voles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vole

Voles are pretty destructive and notoriously hard to get rid of. They breed fast and I don't know how well gopher remedies will work if you have voles.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
The war on Gophers: (Or why we left San Diego in a hurry)

So, you’ve tilled and turned and planted your flowers and veggies, now you think you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors right?

You go out one morning and find to your dismay that things are starting to disappear or die and there are ugly piles of dirt pushed up all over the area and realize you have gophers!

Now the war starts, you head to the nearest garden center and ask how do I get rid of them? The fun also begins here as well, if you ask five different people how to defeat gophers you will get at least ten different answers.

So you head home with the latest humane gopher deterrents such as a guaranteed ultrasonic noisemaker that will drive them out of the yard and the County, as well as a concoction that smells bad to them just in case they’re deaf. You spend the afternoon repairing the damage, installing the deterrents, and replanting the lost plants and retire thinking all is well.

Next morning you arise to a disaster! The sonic deterrents have been pushed out of the ground, and the smell bad concoction seems to have attracted more of the gophers and the plants you replaced yesterday are gone. Back to the garden center, attempt to return the sonic deterrents with no luck (no refund policy on electronics) so you pick out some different guaranteed to work items; more plants and head back to the battleground.

You place the cute little wind driven pinwheel doodad that makes a clicking sound that gophers don’t like and plant the gopher bane plants that you were assured would cure the gopher problem but were still environmentally friendly, and fail again.

At this point you’re starting to figure out that if you’ve killed any gophers it was because they’d laughed themselves to death or died from over eating all the plants you’ve planted for them.

Ok, time to regroup, so you head back to the garden center and get a few more items and a lot of free advice from the friendly folks down there. So you try chewing gum on them, it doesn’t get rid of the gophers but the dog likes it and gets to go to the vet.

Next you try running the hose down the hole for a while, yard gets soaked and you flood the neighbor down the hill out, and your insurance company gets to settle up with him. After things dry out you try laundry soap and the hose, now you and the neighbor have soapsuds everywhere. Insurance company informs you of a rate increase.

Next you try placing a lit highway flare in the hole to smoke them out, the neighbor calls the fire department, and they write you a warning about uncontrolled burning.

Then your other neighbor who is still on speaking terms with you suggests pouring some gasoline down an open hole and lighting it, says it works for him.

So you give it a try and it causes the gophers to just dig in other places, the friendly neighbor suggests that you take the shopvac and blow the fumes further down the hole and then light it.

When you do this several things happen in short order, your yard sort of turns itself over, your downstream neighbors patio slab decides to move to the other neighbors yard and you decide to go with a pool, lots of concrete and learn to garden in containers.

During this time your insurance company has dropped your coverage, you have made the fire departments most wanted list, your yard looks like the aftermath of hurricane Andrew and…. you still have gophers.

Gardening is a great thing, just never weaken.

fairsheet

Senator
The war on Gophers: (Or why we left San Diego in a hurry)

So, you’ve tilled and turned and planted your flowers and veggies, now you think you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors right?

You go out one morning and find to your dismay that things are starting to disappear or die and there are ugly piles of dirt pushed up all over the area and realize you have gophers!

Now the war starts, you head to the nearest garden center and ask how do I get rid of them? The fun also begins here as well, if you ask five different people how to defeat gophers you will get at least ten different answers.

So you head home with the latest humane gopher deterrents such as a guaranteed ultrasonic noisemaker that will drive them out of the yard and the County, as well as a concoction that smells bad to them just in case they’re deaf. You spend the afternoon repairing the damage, installing the deterrents, and replanting the lost plants and retire thinking all is well.

Next morning you arise to a disaster! The sonic deterrents have been pushed out of the ground, and the smell bad concoction seems to have attracted more of the gophers and the plants you replaced yesterday are gone. Back to the garden center, attempt to return the sonic deterrents with no luck (no refund policy on electronics) so you pick out some different guaranteed to work items; more plants and head back to the battleground.

You place the cute little wind driven pinwheel doodad that makes a clicking sound that gophers don’t like and plant the gopher bane plants that you were assured would cure the gopher problem but were still environmentally friendly, and fail again.

At this point you’re starting to figure out that if you’ve killed any gophers it was because they’d laughed themselves to death or died from over eating all the plants you’ve planted for them.

Ok, time to regroup, so you head back to the garden center and get a few more items and a lot of free advice from the friendly folks down there. So you try chewing gum on them, it doesn’t get rid of the gophers but the dog likes it and gets to go to the vet.

Next you try running the hose down the hole for a while, yard gets soaked and you flood the neighbor down the hill out, and your insurance company gets to settle up with him. After things dry out you try laundry soap and the hose, now you and the neighbor have soapsuds everywhere. Insurance company informs you of a rate increase.

Next you try placing a lit highway flare in the hole to smoke them out, the neighbor calls the fire department, and they write you a warning about uncontrolled burning.

Then your other neighbor who is still on speaking terms with you suggests pouring some gasoline down an open hole and lighting it, says it works for him.

So you give it a try and it causes the gophers to just dig in other places, the friendly neighbor suggests that you take the shopvac and blow the fumes further down the hole and then light it.

When you do this several things happen in short order, your yard sort of turns itself over, your downstream neighbors patio slab decides to move to the other neighbors yard and you decide to go with a pool, lots of concrete and learn to garden in containers.

During this time your insurance company has dropped your coverage, you have made the fire departments most wanted list, your yard looks like the aftermath of hurricane Andrew and…. you still have gophers.

Gardening is a great thing, just never weaken.
I don't suffer gophers, but I DO have moles. For whatever reason, I'd rather deter them than kill them. Part of it goes to the fact that I don't want my dogs gnawing on poisoned moles. Anyway...there's a variety of deterrents on the market, based on castor oil. They come in various forms - spray, granular, and whatever. I'm here to say that they actually do work. I deter all the moles over to my neighbor's yard - wherein, he's got no problem killing them.

oicu812

"Trust, but Verify"
get a jack russell terrorist....

they can outdig anything and will not stop until they reach china our the rodent...

the're the "special ops" arm of the canine world...:)

gigi

Mayor
God help me, I have voles. I have a small flower garden, which I normally love to plant.This spring, noticed it looked like they were testing missiles in there. Last year's mulch looked especially nasty and almost everyday I found big chunks of earth turned over. Then I started seeing these little holes here and there and I didn't know what was causing them until the little bastards started terrorizing me when I went out on the patio. Every so often a little grey blur runs past me and I end up wearing my tea. I don't want to kill them. But I just want them to leave. I remulched and every morning there are fresh holes in the fresh mulch. I bought one of those owl statues that moves and the eyes blink and it whooos when it detects motion, and all it did was scare the neighbor's four year old. The voles were running right past it, laughing and pointing, much like the people on line at Kmart were when I was buying the thing.
Every morning I go out there and shove dirt into the new holes and yell at them.
I think we're going to buy a couple of those Hav-a-Heart traps this weekend.

fairsheet

Senator
God help me, I have voles. I have a small flower garden, which I normally love to plant.This spring, noticed it looked like they were testing missiles in there. Last year's mulch looked especially nasty and almost everyday I found big chunks of earth turned over. Then I started seeing these little holes here and there and I didn't know what was causing them until the little bastards started terrorizing me when I went out on the patio. Every so often a little grey blur runs past me and I end up wearing my tea. I don't want to kill them. But I just want them to leave. I remulched and every morning there are fresh holes in the fresh mulch. I bought one of those owl statues that moves and the eyes blink and it whooos when it detects motion, and all it did was scare the neighbor's four year old. The voles were running right past it, laughing and pointing, much like the people on line at Kmart were when I was buying the thing.
Every morning I go out there and shove dirt into the new holes and yell at them.
I think we're going to buy a couple of those Hav-a-Heart traps this weekend.
All I know about voles is that they have some fundamental differences from moles. I just don't know what those differences are! As to moles, they're actually not 100% bad. Unlike Bernard's gophers, they do not eat plant matter - just worms and grubs. So..eating grubs is all good and at least if they're eating worms, you know you HAVE worms, which is good.

Anyway, if the moles are anyplace but in your lawn, it's best to just consider them "nature's roto-tillers".

Caroljo

Senator
get a jack russell terrorist....

they can outdig anything and will not stop until they reach china our the rodent...

the're the "special ops" arm of the canine world...:)
We had a dog for years, part dachshund, part wired haired terrior...and he could find moles and wouldn't quit until he caught them. Then he'd prance around for a while before finally burying them. Then we got a Jack Russell/Papalon mix...and she's the same way! Or she was...we moved into town last august and not a very big yard (we had almost 3 acres before...and lots of moles!!). I think she misses it :(

gigi

Mayor
All I know about voles is that they have some fundamental differences from moles. I just don't know what those differences are! As to moles, they're actually not 100% bad. Unlike Bernard's gophers, they do not eat plant matter - just worms and grubs. So..eating grubs is all good and at least if they're eating worms, you know you HAVE worms, which is good.

Anyway, if the moles are anyplace but in your lawn, it's best to just consider them "nature's roto-tillers".
Nature's roto-tillers are gross and they scare the heck out of me. I want them to leave.

fairsheet

Senator
We had a dog for years, part dachshund, part wired haired terrior...and he could find moles and wouldn't quit until he caught them. Then he'd prance around for a while before finally burying them. Then we got a Jack Russell/Papalon mix...and she's the same way! Or she was...we moved into town last august and not a very big yard (we had almost 3 acres before...and lots of moles!!). I think she misses it :(
When my rat terrier was about 6 months old, she was rippin' through the yard in one of her typical "frenzies". She stepped in a molehole and snapped her leg at the "elbow". It cost us $3500, a pin, a screw, and a washer to fix that one.

This argues for Dachshunds because when THEY step in a hole, they just execute a harmless barrel-roll.

Caroljo

Senator
When my rat terrier was about 6 months old, she was rippin' through the yard in one of her typical "frenzies". She stepped in a molehole and snapped her leg at the "elbow". It cost us $3500, a pin, a screw, and a washer to fix that one.

This argues for Dachshunds because when THEY step in a hole, they just execute a harmless barrel-roll.
Terriers are so hyper!! Man...I love my dog, but $3500 ???? Yikes!! Our dog Sam ( the wire haired) loved to hunt. We had a small area of woods and he would go out there for hours. I just hated when he'd bring baby bunnies up to the house to show off! That dog would practically bury himself trying to dig into the mole holes!

fairsheet

Senator
Terriers are so hyper!! Man...I love my dog, but $3500 ???? Yikes!! Our dog Sam ( the wire haired) loved to hunt. We had a small area of woods and he would go out there for hours. I just hated when he'd bring baby bunnies up to the house to show off! That dog would practically bury himself trying to dig into the mole holes!
My rat terrier and the toy fox terrier that preceded her, aren't/weren't diggers. I think maybe they don't want to get their "hands" dirty.

I'll never forget though, when my li'l miniature Dachshund Bonney, presented me with a dead juvenile possum...only, it wasn't dead. I set it out in the bushes and heard it scurry away a coupla minutes later.

gigi

Mayor
Note that I made a specific distinction between moles and voles. If I'm not mistaken, voles eat plant matter where moles do not.
Well, two of my hyacinth bulbs mysteriously made it to the surface and then few hours later were gone completely. Read last night that mice and some insects are deterred by peppermint. And since voles are called sometimes called field mice, I'm hoping that if I spray some peppermint oil, they'll move on.
I know I'm carrying on too much. A couple of pests in the garden should be the worst thing that happens to anybody, but it's sure not. I just....ugh...cant' explain it. Don't mess with my children or my flowers.
Meanwhile, my husband has been reciting Caddyshack at me for days now. What is it with men and that movie?