• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Gopher problem

fairsheet

Senator
Well, two of my hyacinth bulbs mysteriously made it to the surface and then few hours later were gone completely. Read last night that mice and some insects are deterred by peppermint. And since voles are called sometimes called field mice, I'm hoping that if I spray some peppermint oil, they'll move on.
I know I'm carrying on too much. A couple of pests in the garden should be the worst thing that happens to anybody, but it's sure not. I just....ugh...cant' explain it. Don't mess with my children or my flowers.
Meanwhile, my husband has been reciting Caddyshack at me for days now. What is it with men and that movie?
Hah! Although I've heard about it many times over, I've never actually seen "Caddyshack".

Anyway....if voles are field mice, here's what you can do.....if you choose to. You can put out a regular old-fashioned mouse trap. Peanut butter is better than cheese for bait. You'll catch one in very short order. But then, just leave the trap with the deceased mouse in it, out there for a few days. The others will get the hint.

One gives up his life in order to save his family and friends.

gigi

Mayor
Hah! Although I've heard about it many times over, I've never actually seen "Caddyshack".

Anyway....if voles are field mice, here's what you can do.....if you choose to. You can put out a regular old-fashioned mouse trap. Peanut butter is better than cheese for bait. You'll catch one in very short order. But then, just leave the trap with the deceased mouse in it, out there for a few days. The others will get the hint.

One gives up his life in order to save his family and friends.
I won't kill them. But I do have to admit, a mousetrap full of vole guts and peanut butter would add an interesting accent to my garden.
I admit, I have left the occasional spider or housefly corpse on the wall for an hour or two just to warn off others.

An American male who's never seen Caddyshack....Almost tempted to ask for your autograph. I am convinced that if it weren't for Caddyshack, Animal House and stripes, most men in this country would be mute.

fairsheet

Senator
I won't kill them. But I do have to admit, a mousetrap full of vole guts and peanut butter would add an interesting accent to my garden.
I admit, I have left the occasional spider or housefly corpse on the wall for an hour or two just to warn off others.

An American male who's never seen Caddyshack....Almost tempted to ask for your autograph. I am convinced that if it weren't for Caddyshack, Animal House and stripes, most men in this country would be mute.
I didn't see "The Godfather" until some 25 years after it came out. Now THAT one was worth the wait!

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
I know this is from out of left field for the environment page. But here goes: I am having a problem with gophers on my lawn. I have tried everything I've heard of so far---Juicy Fruit gum, repellants, poisons, flooding their holes with water. Nothing works. No matter what I do, I see new fresh mounds of dirt every morning( their calling card). Do any of you have any ideas?
I would caution you not to use rodenticides and consider putting up an owl box instead:

http://www.hungryowl.org/nesting-boxes.html

Once a family of owls moves in, it will solve your problem, guaranteed.

Last edited:

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I would caution you not to use rodenticides and consider putting up an owl box instead:

http://www.hungryowl.org/nesting-boxes.html

Once a family of owls moves in, it will solve your problem, guaranteed.
I have not seen any gophers in about 3 weeks. I kept using the repellent every day and I think it finally worked. Also, I put a little of our dog's poop in a few of their holes. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't return. :)

Caroljo

Senator
I have not seen any gophers in about 3 weeks. I kept using the repellent every day and I think it finally worked. Also, I put a little of our dog's poop in a few of their holes. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't return. :)
Dog poop??? Really? Hadn't heard of using that! We moved almost a year ago, but our other place had a HUGE mole problem, drove my husband crazy!! Let me know if that works :)

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Dog poop??? Really? Hadn't heard of using that! We moved almost a year ago, but our other place had a HUGE mole problem, drove my husband crazy!! Let me know if that works :)
Yes, dog poop helps a lot. I tried several things and it was the repellent and dog poop that made them go away.