• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Groubert traffic stop

Arkady

President
For a horrifying eye-opener, check out the September 4 dashboard cam of a traffic stop where a trooper shoots a motorist during a stop for a seatbelt violation. It gives you a sense of just how quick some cops are to reach for their guns for no reason.

Good thing for the camera. Otherwise, I'm sure we would've heard about how the person assaulted the officer, etc.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
For a horrifying eye-opener, check out the September 4 dashboard cam of a traffic stop where a trooper shoots a motorist during a stop for a seatbelt violation. It gives you a sense of just how quick some cops are to reach for their guns for no reason.

Good thing for the camera. Otherwise, I'm sure we would've heard about how the person assaulted the officer, etc.
Yes Mr. Arkady.. because you showed this abusive video, it means every single WHITE police officer who shoots at a BLACK person is guilty of some sort of racially-motivated quickdraw, and every black person never did anything.

Suggesting an absolute.. my goodness Arkady, it's a ridiculous notion.

A crazy shocking video? Yep. Telling of all police officers? I'll need a bit more evidence...

Arkady

President
Jeez, it's almost as if there's a trend or something.
In defense of the police, in this case, everything is proceeding the way you would expect it should. The trooper was fired, and now he's going to be up on serious charges, probably with some jail time. But, if that video didn't exist, I feel pretty confident that his statement after the incident, which wrongly said the victim had acted aggressively, would have been believed by his colleagues, and much of the public, especially the conservatives. With the existence of the video, there was no real question, and no real choice for the police force, but to act against one of their own.

Just a side point here: this also shows how racism can victimize white people too. Think about it: not only did this result in a black man being shot for no reason, it will also end the career of a white man, and possibly result in him being behind bars. Presumably, he really did panic, and assumed his life was in danger, or he wouldn't have shot. But how could he perceive anything here as a threat? If it had been a fellow white person who had reached back in the car for his license, especially a rich, well-dressed white person, I'm betting he wouldn't panic that way. So, in that sense, he may well be the victim of his own racial prejudices. He saw a threat where one did not exist, overreacted, and ruined his own life. This is one of the ways in which white people, too, have a real stake in trying to combat these negative racial stereotypes and irrational reactions. They hurt us all, though obviously they hurt people of color far more directly and severely.

Last edited:

Bugsy McGurk

President
Betcha it's a lot LESS than it used to be.

I mean, if we want to talk facts. Oh wait, I should know better.
It's not as bad as it used to be - not too long ago blacks were routinely lynched.

But the point is not that it's as bad as ever - the point is that racist police stops and shootings occur, despite the denials of their fellow racists.

Last edited:

Arkady

President
Yes Mr. Arkady.. because you showed this abusive video, it means every single WHITE police officer who shoots at a BLACK person is guilty of some sort of racially-motivated quickdraw, and every black person never did anything.

A crazy shocking video? Yep. Telling of all police officers? I'll need a bit more evidence...
I don't mean to assert it is indicative of the behavior of all white people, or all police, or anything of that sort. I am certain it is not. However, I'm also pretty confident that if the video didn't exist, and there were no witnesses, most if not all of the conservatives here would strongly assume the police officer was telling the truth when he said that the motorist had acted aggressively. We'd probably be getting stories about him having suffered fractured orbital bones, and we'd be shown photographs identified as him that were somebody else, and so on.

I only mean this to make people think twice about that reflexive assumption that the cop must be telling the truth, and that if somebody got shot by a cop he must've done something to deserve it.

Bugsy McGurk

President
In defense of the police, in this case, everything is proceeding the way you would expect it should. The trooper was fired, and now he's going to be up on serious charges, probably with some jail time. But, if that video didn't exist, I feel pretty confident that his statement after the incident, which wrongly said the victim had acted aggressively, would have been believed by his colleagues, and much of the public, especially the conservatives. With the existence of the video, there was no real question, and no real choice for the police force, but to act against one of their own.

Just a side point here: this also shows how racism can victimize white people too. Think about it: not only did this result in a black man being shot for no reason, it will also end the career of a white man, and possibly result in him being behind bars. Presumably, he really did panic, and assumed his life was in danger, or he wouldn't have shot. But how could he perceive anything here as a threat? If it had been a fellow white person who had reached back in the car for his license, especially a rich, well-dressed white person, I'm betting he wouldn't panic that way. So, in that sense, he may well be the victim of his own racial prejudices. He saw a threat where one did not exist, overreacted, and ruined his own life. This is one of the ways in which white people, too, have a real stake in trying to combat these negative racial stereotypes and irrational reactions. They hurt us all, no obviously they heard people of color far more directly and severely.
No doubt the police force quickly did the right thing in firing him, and no doubt they would not have done so without the video being so damning.

But I have a hard time with the concept of the cop being "the victim of his own racial prejudices." He is in no way a victim - he is a wrongdoer, both for being racist, and for acting on his racism.

Dino

Russian Asset

Just a side point here: this also shows how racism can victimize white people too. Think about it: not only did this result in a black man being shot for no reason, it will also end the career of a white man, and possibly result in him being behind bars. Presumably, he really did panic, and assumed his life was in danger, or he wouldn't have shot. But how could he perceive anything here as a threat? If it had been a fellow white person who had reached back in the car for his license, especially a rich, well-dressed white person, I'm betting he wouldn't panic that way. So, in that sense, he may well be the victim of his own racial prejudices. He saw a threat where one did not exist, overreacted, and ruined his own life. This is one of the ways in which white people, too, have a real stake in trying to combat these negative racial stereotypes and irrational reactions. They hurt us all, no obviously they heard people of color far more directly and severely.
Two points:
I think you're entirely wrong on the presumptions of conservatives. It comes off as simplistic, generalizing and desperate- beating to death a well-worn liberal projecting stereotype.
Second, I think your presumptions of this particular officer are entirely right. I think his own perceived biases caught up with him and made him act rashly. I see both a racial and training flaw in his methods. This could have worked out with more experience.
Shame for him and the victim. Dumb and unnecessary misunderstanding.

Spamature

President

Where did he say all ?

Dino

Russian Asset
It's not as bad as it used to be - not too long ago blacks were routinely lynched.

But the point is not that it's as bad as ever - the point is that racist police stops and shootings occur, despite the denials of their fellow racists.
I know you THINK you have so many recent examples to back up your point. But you know what, you don't.

You thought you knew a lot with the Zimmerman case. Learn from your mistakes.

Bugsy McGurk

President
I know you THINK you have so many recent examples to back up your point. But you know what, you don't.

You thought you knew a lot with the Zimmerman case. Learn from your mistakes.
They are a dime a dozen, as you know.

When there is no video proving the criminal gunning down of the black man, racists circle the wagons and defend the shooter. Michael Brown is the most recent example. When there is a video, racists thrown up their hands and throw the racist shooter to the wolves. So goes the pattern.

Dino

Russian Asset
They are a dime a dozen, as you know.

When there is no video proving the criminal gunning down of the black man, racists circle the wagons and defend the shooter. Michael Brown is the most recent example. When there is a video, racists thrown up their hands and throw the racist shooter to the wolves. So goes the pattern.
Lol, of course, one contrived episode makes a "pattern". So says the insane and consistently wrong liberal screwhead.
You "know" the facts of the brown case as much you did the zimmerman case.
And everyone realizes it.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Lol, of course, one contrived episode makes a "pattern". So says the insane and consistently wrong liberal screwhead.
You "know" the facts of the brown case as much you did the zimmerman case.
And everyone realizes it.
Yes, just one.

There are no other recent incidents of young black men being shot or otherwise harassed by white cops or other whites.

This case is a first!

;-)

Dino

Russian Asset
Yes, just one.

There are no other recent incidents of young black men being shot or otherwise harassed by white cops or other whites.

This case is a first!

;-)
Lessee, you took two swings, got two misses.
That's called being behind in the count.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mean to assert it is indicative of the behavior of all white people, or all police, or anything of that sort. I am certain it is not. However, I'm also pretty confident that if the video didn't exist, and there were no witnesses, most if not all of the conservatives here would strongly assume the police officer was telling the truth when he said that the motorist had acted aggressively. We'd probably be getting stories about him having suffered fractured orbital bones, and we'd be shown photographs identified as him that were somebody else, and so on.

I only mean this to make people think twice about that reflexive assumption that the cop must be telling the truth, and that if somebody got shot by a cop he must've done something to deserve it.

not indicative of behavior....except and absolutely for conservative behavior?

that blows.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Two points:
I think you're entirely wrong on the presumptions of conservatives. It comes off as simplistic, generalizing and desperate- beating to death a well-worn liberal projecting stereotype.
Agreed. Ark was very simplistic here. It's interesting to see him want to delve into the intricacies of things when on defense, but then simplify so much when on attack.

Thankfully, I have far more freedom than Ark can ever have.. I'm not a member of a major party.

Second, I think your presumptions of this particular officer are entirely right. I think his own perceived biases caught up with him and made him act rashly. I see both a racial and training flaw in his methods. This could have worked out with more experience.
Shame for him and the victim. Dumb and unnecessary misunderstanding.
Very well stated post, my thoughts exactly.

Dino

Russian Asset
You Pugs think you can ump your own game. Crooked pitchers umping their own pitches? Calling homers strikes? Corrupt to the core.

;-)
You made a blatantly bullshit allegation and I called you out to back it up.
You dodged and dissembled becuase you know you can't sanely back up your own statement.

Now go take your seat on the bench there Dodger.

Bugsy McGurk

President
You made a blatantly bullshit allegation and I called you out to back it up.
You dodged and dissembled becuase you know you can't sanely back up your own statement.

Now go take your seat on the bench there Dodger.
Huh?

What "blatantly bullshit allegation" did I make?

You're getting hysterical.