• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Here’s What Happened When Maine Forced People to Actually Work for Welfare

Caroljo

Senator
WTH? They're actually making them WORK to get the help they want? We're told continuously by the left that there's not that many abusing the system. This seems to be calling them liars.................

Republican Gov. Paul LePage of Maine decided last year that he had to do something about the rampant, out of control welfare abuse in his state, specifically concerning the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

So late last year, LePage began enforcing new requirements stating that in order for non-disabled residents to receive SNAP benefits that they would be required to work at least twenty hours per week, volunteer or attend vocational training.

Guess what happened as a result? Out of the 12,000 non-disabled welfare recipients without children who were on the rolls last year, only 2,680 remain as of now, according to David Sorensen, spokesman for the Department of Health and Services.
http://conservativetribune.com/maine-work-for-welfare/

EatTheRich

President
The majority of people nationwide receiving SNAP benefits get them for less than one year. Maine's nothing special, and the short-term nature of most people's use of SNAP benefits is nothing new.

fairsheet

Senator
The majority of people nationwide receiving SNAP benefits get them for less than one year. Maine's nothing special, and the short-term nature of most people's use of SNAP benefits is nothing new.
As you note, the top parroted deposit from the "conservative whatever", is a baldfaced lie. Oh sure....it's leaver will insist that "technically", it is true. But of course, this "truth" is not the one its originator intends.

The cut 'n paster SHOULD be embarrassed at being so duped. I doubt she will be.

gigi

Mayor
Caroljo you really can't trust a source that uses terms like "welfare leeches" and makes the bold claims "refused to better themselves" without any interviews with the actual subjects to back that claim up.

WTH? They're actually making them WORK to get the help they want? We're told continuously by the left that there's not that many abusing the system. This seems to be calling them liars.................

Republican Gov. Paul LePage of Maine decided last year that he had to do something about the rampant, out of control welfare abuse in his state, specifically concerning the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

So late last year, LePage began enforcing new requirements stating that in order for non-disabled residents to receive SNAP benefits that they would be required to work at least twenty hours per week, volunteer or attend vocational training.

Guess what happened as a result? Out of the 12,000 non-disabled welfare recipients without children who were on the rolls last year, only 2,680 remain as of now, according to David Sorensen, spokesman for the Department of Health and Services.
They have done the same sort of thing here ---- Slave labour and who profits? Corporate and big business does especially Supermarkets who now have unpaid shelf stackers........ also they are not allowed to chose what they do -- one example was a History grad who was doing voluntary work in a Museum with the possibility that it would lead to a 'proper job' there --- she was taken off the SS because she refused to stop her work there to stack shelves in Tescos.
Work experience - apprenticeships - ect are all cons leading nowhere but hopeless-ville.

If it were proper training that would lead somewhere that would be cool --- but it never is.

They also have Zero hrs contracts here, which I am sure you have to look forward too, People have to sign a contract which does not give them any work or pay, as in, they work when they are needed only which can be and often is never --- they have no income ---- I suppose they do get 'Tax Credits' which is another New Speak for the SS=benefits.

Oh and they chuck people off unless they become 'self employed' too --- so now self employed is another term for 'on benefits' too.

Orwells World.

Cal

Council Member

I've heard of other states considering this too and I think it's a great idea. There's no such thing as a free ride. If you have time and you are able you should give something for what you recieve. If that's time spent looking for work or something as simple as volunteering...then so be it.

Mind you I work 40 hours a week and volunteer at least 24 hours a week on an ambulance. I don't have much sympathy for those too lazy to volunteer.

fairsheet

Senator
I've heard of other states considering this too and I think it's a great idea. There's no such thing as a free ride. If you have time and you are able you should give something for what you recieve. If that's time spent looking for work or something as simple as volunteering...then so be it.

Mind you I work 40 hours a week and volunteer at least 24 hours a week on an ambulance. I don't have much sympathy for those too lazy to volunteer.
Functioning free markets don't force anyone to work. Soviet-type economies do (did).

Caroljo

Senator
Functioning free markets don't force anyone to work. Soviet-type economies do (did).
That's just about the dumbest thing I've heard. What's wrong with someone (that is able to) doing SOME kind of work to earn what's given them?? I have to work to pay the taxes so people on aid can get paid. How about they do something to earn it?

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
Mr. Rich,

LOL, So how do you explain new people not applying for SNAP to replace those coming off? A sudden impulse of wealth in Maine?

Cal

Council Member
\
Then don't work. Volunteer. It's so simple a dog could do it. There's no free ride. It simply does not exist. Not a free market, not a restricted market, not even in an imaginary market. If you can't give back to your community then why should your community bother with you? Volunteering isn't working and I suspect those who consider volunteering to be "work" are those who probably never even tried to volunteer.

EatTheRich

President
That's just about the dumbest thing I've heard. What's wrong with someone (that is able to) doing SOME kind of work to earn what's given them?? I have to work to pay the taxes so people on aid can get paid. How about they do something to earn it?
The issue in this case isn't whether people should be required to do some kind of work for a living (which, provided there are jobs paying living wages for all, and the rich are equally liable to the requirement to earn their keep, I would wholeheartedly support). It is whether children (the large majority of those receiving SNAP benefits and other welfare programs) are to be starved because their parents won't take dead-end jobs with no benefits that won't pay enough to cover the costs of child care and transportation to and from work, all to undercut the wages of workers who are in a better bargaining position.

EatTheRich

President
Mr. Rich,

You. You just said it. Damn, dude, that short term memory is the second thing to go, if you know what I mean...;)
Where did I say it? What I said is that the majority of people on benefits are on them for less than one year, in Maine or anywhere else in the U.S.

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
Where did I say it? What I said is that the majority of people on benefits are on them for less than one year, in Maine or anywhere else in the U.S.
Mr. Rich,

When you said:

"...the majority of people on benefits are on them for less than one year..."

Damn, you said it again.

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
That doesn't mean that new short-term users of those benefits aren't replacing them.
Mr. Rich,

Exactly, it means the program is working like a charm. Make a bum work for their pervious free money, they either get a real job or find some other way to sit on their asses.

EatTheRich

President
Mr. Rich,

Exactly, it means the program is working like a charm. Make a bum work for their pervious free money, they either get a real job or find some other way to sit on their asses.
Again, it's not that Maine has eliminated long-term dependence on the program; it's that long-term dependence on the program has always been extremely rare, nationwide.

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
Again, it's not that Maine has eliminated long-term dependence on the program; it's that long-term dependence on the program has always been extremely rare, nationwide.
Mr. Rich,

Exactly, and like I said, the program works. Make someone work for their free money, they find some other way of being lazy.