• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

How can we stop gun violence?

write on

Senator
I have a plan. It will take time and won't be popular and seem communistic, etc, but....

With America's love affair with guns(me included), in my opinion, the only way to stop this is to temporarily shut down legal gun sales.

It will take time, but in the end, only those that have guns will be law abiding citizens.

I know that there are a few kinks in this plan that need to be worked out, but what other solution is there?

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
I have a plan. It will take time and won't be popular and seem communistic, etc, but....

With America's love affair with guns(me included), in my opinion, the only way to stop this is to temporarily shut down legal gun sales.

It will take time, but in the end, only those that have guns will be law abiding citizens.

I know that there are a few kinks in this plan that need to be worked out, but what other solution is there?
Are you totally nuts? Only the law abiding citizens will have guns? Where would they get them?And you don't think dangerous people would be able to get a gun?

You're right.....there are a few kinks in your plan. LOLOLOLOL

write on

Senator
Are you totally nuts? Only the law abiding citizens will have guns? Where would they get them?And you don't think dangerous people would be able to get a gun?

You're right.....there are a few kinks in your plan. LOLOLOLOL
You can also ask where will criminal get their guns?

Criminals will eventually be caught and their guns confiscated, leaving law abiding citizens armed.

I realize that it will take time, but what other solution do we have?

I'm open to yours.

D

Deleted member 21794

Yes, stopping gun sales to people who don't commit crimes is a brilliant solution! I can see why you're a leftist given such awesome *logic*, Mr. Defender of the Second Amendment!

write on

Senator
Yes, stopping gun sales to people who don't commit crimes is a brilliant solution! I can see why you're a leftist given such awesome *logic*, Mr. Defender of the Second Amendment!
What's your solution, besides making love to whatever firearms you might own?

Last edited:

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
There IS no solution to stopping gun violence.

One thing that might help, is adding a 5-year mandatory prison sentence for the unlawful use of a firearm in any crime (including gang violence). That would be an added 5 years to any other sentence given for the crime, and there would be no exceptions.

As far as stopping someone from randomly doing a mass killing, there simply is no law that would stop it. The mentally ill have rights to protect them from being committed by a relative without a costly legal hearing....which puts that solution out of reach of many people.

Taking away guns from those that are law abiding and only want guns for reasons of self defense, hunting or gun collecting would only add to the homicide numbers--only the non-law-abiding would have arms.

write on

Senator
There IS no solution to stopping gun violence.

One thing that might help, is adding a 5-year mandatory prison sentence for the unlawful use of a firearm in any crime (including gang violence). That would be an added 5 years to any other sentence given for the crime, and there would be no exceptions.

As far as stopping someone from randomly doing a mass killing, there simply is no law that would stop it. The mentally ill have rights to protect them from being committed by a relative without a costly legal hearing....which puts that solution out of reach of many people.

Taking away guns from those that are law abiding and only want guns for reasons of self defense, hunting or gun collecting would only add to the homicide numbers--only the non-law-abiding would have arms.
Where did I advocate taking away your guns? I didn't. So you can quit with that straw man.

I like the mandatory sentencing for gun possession or sale.

But, how will you fund the massive incarceration of those that that are caught with an unregistered firearm? What about releasing those in prison that are there for, say, marijuana drug sales, opening up more cells for those that are connected to any kind of illegal firearm?

It will take time.

write on

Senator
I'm still looking for solutions other than "everyone pack and good luck walking down the streets".

I put forward what I thought was what we could do.

Are you people so brainwashed by the NRA that you can't even talk about it?

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
Where did I advocate taking away your guns? I didn't. So you can quit with that straw man.

I like the mandatory sentencing for gun possession or sale.

But, how will you fund the massive incarceration of those that that are caught with an unregistered firearm? What about releasing those in prison that are there for, say, marijuana drug sales, opening up more cells for those that are connected to any kind of illegal firearm?

It will take time.
1. I never said mandatory sentencing for gun possession or sale.
2. I never said incarceration of those with unregistered firearms (many law-abiding people have firearms they owned before registration was mandatory, and it still isn't mandatory in some places).
3. I don't think drug sellers should be released--they contribute to the illegal gun problem.
4. Not selling guns at all is akin to taking guns away from the law-abiding.

write on

Senator
1. I never said mandatory sentencing for gun possession or sale.
2. I never said incarceration of those with unregistered firearms (many law-abiding people have firearms they owned before registration was mandatory, and it still isn't mandatory in some places).
3. I don't think drug sellers should be released--they contribute to the illegal gun problem.
4. Not selling guns at all is akin to taking guns away from the law-abiding.
Then you are useless in this discussion.

D

Deleted member 21794

I'm still looking for solutions other than "everyone pack and good luck walking down the streets".

I put forward what I thought was what we could do.

Are you people so brainwashed by the NRA that you can't even talk about it?
Who is suggesting "everyone pack"? Are you so brainwashed by your fellow anti-gun zealots that you actually think anyone is proposing such a thing?

And as far as "good luck walking down the street", that's dishonest as well. Rational Americans want safe streets and police patrolling them.

Please calm down and take a deep breath. There.... now think it through rationally and try again.

D

Deleted member 21794

No, it isn't.

My point is to try, among liberals and conservatives, to figure out how to stop gun violence.
Limiting the freedom of law-abiding citizens? Only an idiot would think that would work.

write on

Senator
Again, there IS no way to stop it...at least not without sacrificing rights.
How would temporarily prohibiting the sales of firearms sacrifice your rights?

If you are not a lawbreaker, and buy your gun from a friend, and commit no crime, how are your 2nd Amendment rights taken from you?

It seems to me that the 2nd Amendment right is being taken away from criminals.

write on

Senator
Who is suggesting "everyone pack"? Are you so brainwashed by your fellow anti-gun zealots that you actually think anyone is proposing such a thing?

And as far as "good luck walking down the street", that's dishonest as well. Rational Americans want safe streets and police patrolling them.

Please calm down and take a deep breath. There.... now think it through rationally and try again.
I guess you missed where I said that I am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment. I own several guns.

I'm just trying to find a solution to gun violence.

You don't want to. You'd rather make love to your AR-15.

You're part of the problem.