• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

How do you put someone on ignore?

NightSwimmer

Senator
HAH! You think it bothers me one iota that NCMucusMan labels me as a 'liar'? I'll have you know that I am a proud, card-carrying member of the Liars' Club of America!!

Interesting... I happen to be the President of that club, and my wife, Morgan Fairchild (Yeah... that's the ticket!), is the Vice President.

I always lie. Honest.

The Liars' Club Of America

Something you folks may not know about me is that I am a card-carrying member of the Liars' Club of America. We get together about once a year, to see who can tell the biggest whoppers, the ones that elicit the loudest groans, and the winners get prizes.

Actually, of course, that's not true. It's a lie. I am NOT a card-carrying member of the Liars' Club of America. But there IS such a club. At least, I'm pretty sure there is, and that's NOT a lie. At any rate, there definitely USED to be a Liars' Club of America, and I have heard some of the whoppers they told, and they were pretty damned funny. If the Liars' Club of America still exists, I think I should like to join it, because I am not above telling a whopper from time to time. Just to see how people react, you know.

Here's a story I tell my students, and I tell it with a straight face, right up to the end, because I want to see, you know, their reaction.

I tell them that way back when, when I was still in college---we're talking ancient history, here---I was so poor that I lived out in a country farmhouse that used to be a barn, with five other guys, who were mostly ne'er-do-wells. I was the only college student, and we all chipped in on the rent, which was (I think) only $125 per month. For all of us. And we had a cat. A great cat, named Felix. Felix was a great cat because he was a great mouser, and we had a lot of mice in that old converted barn.

Well, one day, and this is sad to tell, Felix was involved in an accident. A kid with a bicycle ran over Felix's right front leg. Mangled it. Pretty sure it was an accident; the kid was pretty torn up about it. Since it was really my cat, I took Felix to the vet, and the vet said the kindest thing to do would be to put the cat down. No way, I said. I loved that cat. And the doc said, well, have you ever seen a cat trying to get around on three legs? It ain't a pretty sight, he said. So I said, isn't there anything else you can do? Can't you give him an artificial leg, like some kind of wooden peg leg?

And the vet kind of scratched his chin, thinking about it, and said, well, I suppose I could do that, but it wouldn't be cheap. Well, I was poor, and so were the guys I was living with, who mostly had minimum wage jobs, see, but we managed to scrape up about $400 between us, and the doc did amputate Felix's mangled right leg, and he did put a wooden peg leg on, in its place. Said it would take Felix a few weeks to heal and to 'get used to' his new leg.

So I took Felix home and, sure enough, it took Felix a few weeks before he really understood how to get around on his three natcheral legs and his wooden peg leg. But then he started moving around. And he seemed OK, and I was glad that we had saved Felix's life, you know.

Didn't figure Felix would be much of a mouser anymore, and didn't really expect that. Was just glad to have his company. Imagine our surprise when, after a few weeks, it seemed like Felix was catching more mice than ever. He'd bring the dead mice to us, as though he was showing off. So we was all kinda scratchin' our heads, tryin' to figger out how Felix could be a better mouser with an artificial leg than when he had four of his natcheral-born legs.

It really started to bug me, tryin' to figure this out, so I decided one night that I was going to have to SPY on Felix, to see how he was accomplishin' this feat. So I positioned myself around one corner of our old barn, and saw Felix patiently waiting by a mouse hole. Felix didn't notice me; he had his back to me.

I had a long wait. I was waitin' probly two or three hours, and was about ready to give up and go to bed, when I suddenly noticed Felix's ears kinda perk up. He had definitely heard a mouse! And, I swear to you this is true, that mouse came out of his mouse hole, and I saw Felix WHAP that mouse across the head with his wooden leg! Killed him clean dead! THAT'S how Felix was catchin' even more mice than before!

[OK, OK. That's not MY story. I lied. It was a story told at a Liars' Club convention, by some fellow from Denver, way back in like 1933. And he won the prize! You can imagine the guffaws at the end of that whopper! And, usually, when I tell it to my students, they sit there for a moment, in stunned silence, before they start groaning and guffawing. I just thought some of you folks might enjoy it.]

Jen

Senator
There is only one Lead Mod but I was happy to give the instruction even though I am just an ex-lead mod. Does it really matter how he asked? Nah.

Is there anyone on here worth ignoring???

Why yes, but still why do a thread to announce you're trying to ignore someone unless you want attention to the fact you are upset with someone and their words...

the question could have been dealt with a message to a lead mod, and I am sure both of them would be more than happy to show the person how to ignore someone unless they have that person on ignore...

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
The Liars' Club Of America

Something you folks may not know about me is that I am a card-carrying member of the Liars' Club of America. We get together about once a year, to see who can tell the biggest whoppers, the ones that elicit the loudest groans, and the winners get prizes.

Actually, of course, that's not true. It's a lie. I am NOT a card-carrying member of the Liars' Club of America. But there IS such a club. At least, I'm pretty sure there is, and that's NOT a lie. At any rate, there definitely USED to be a Liars' Club of America, and I have heard some of the whoppers they told, and they were pretty damned funny. If the Liars' Club of America still exists, I think I should like to join it, because I am not above telling a whopper from time to time. Just to see how people react, you know.

Here's a story I tell my students, and I tell it with a straight face, right up to the end, because I want to see, you know, their reaction.

I tell them that way back when, when I was still in college---we're talking ancient history, here---I was so poor that I lived out in a country farmhouse that used to be a barn, with five other guys, who were mostly ne'er-do-wells. I was the only college student, and we all chipped in on the rent, which was (I think) only $125 per month. For all of us. And we had a cat. A great cat, named Felix. Felix was a great cat because he was a great mouser, and we had a lot of mice in that old converted barn.

Well, one day, and this is sad to tell, Felix was involved in an accident. A kid with a bicycle ran over Felix's right front leg. Mangled it. Pretty sure it was an accident; the kid was pretty torn up about it. Since it was really my cat, I took Felix to the vet, and the vet said the kindest thing to do would be to put the cat down. No way, I said. I loved that cat. And the doc said, well, have you ever seen a cat trying to get around on three legs? It ain't a pretty sight, he said. So I said, isn't there anything else you can do? Can't you give him an artificial leg, like some kind of wooden peg leg?

And the vet kind of scratched his chin, thinking about it, and said, well, I suppose I could do that, but it wouldn't be cheap. Well, I was poor, and so were the guys I was living with, who mostly had minimum wage jobs, see, but we managed to scrape up about $400 between us, and the doc did amputate Felix's mangled right leg, and he did put a wooden peg leg on, in its place. Said it would take Felix a few weeks to heal and to 'get used to' his new leg.

So I took Felix home and, sure enough, it took Felix a few weeks before he really understood how to get around on his three natcheral legs and his wooden peg leg. But then he started moving around. And he seemed OK, and I was glad that we had saved Felix's life, you know.

Didn't figure Felix would be much of a mouser anymore, and didn't really expect that. Was just glad to have his company. Imagine our surprise when, after a few weeks, it seemed like Felix was catching more mice than ever. He'd bring the dead mice to us, as though he was showing off. So we was all kinda scratchin' our heads, tryin' to figger out how Felix could be a better mouser with an artificial leg than when he had four of his natcheral-born legs.

It really started to bug me, tryin' to figure this out, so I decided one night that I was going to have to SPY on Felix, to see how he was accomplishin' this feat. So I positioned myself around one corner of our old barn, and saw Felix patiently waiting by a mouse hole. Felix didn't notice me; he had his back to me.

I had a long wait. I was waitin' probly two or three hours, and was about ready to give up and go to bed, when I suddenly noticed Felix's ears kinda perk up. He had definitely heard a mouse! And, I swear to you this is true, that mouse came out of his mouse hole, and I saw Felix WHAP that mouse across the head with his wooden leg! Killed him clean dead! THAT'S how Felix was catchin' even more mice than before!

[OK, OK. That's not MY story. I lied. It was a story told at a Liars' Club convention, by some fellow from Denver, way back in like 1933. And he won the prize! You can imagine the guffaws at the end of that whopper! And, usually, when I tell it to my students, they sit there for a moment, in stunned silence, before they start groaning and guffawing. I just thought some of you folks might enjoy it.]
Thanks for the tale. Good stuff.