• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

How old were you when you learned...

Boltlady

Mayor
that living off of a credit card was not a good idea? If you go and get cash advances to pay the bills that come due, the day comes when you get maxed out. Then what happens?

This is exactly what our country keeps doing. We're being told that if our credit limit is not raised, we will be in default. So that would mean that we cannot pay the bills that we already have if we don't borrow more money.

Since this is already the case why in the world do we keep going around and giving more money away or using it place of diplomacy? As soon as steps are taken to extend our debt limit to hold us until something can be worked out, we're right there pouring as much more money down a rathole as we can find a way to do. We keep opening more military bases in spite of the fact that nobody is even threatening us, and ordering incredibly expensive planes, ships and weapons, some of which we already know don't even work. It's not as though we're increasing that debt limit to do the things that we need here at home.

We're just all supposed to pay for it until we're all maxed out.

Obama to ask business leaders to push Congress to raise debt limit - Yahoo News Canada

Caroljo

Senator
Nobody is even threatening us??? We need to keep a strong military so we're not vulnerable. However....we COULD maybe stop sending billions of dollars to other countries that hate our guts, that would be a huge start! We could stop arming the "rebels". We could start keeping our money in our own country, help out only ally's if needed...but stop just handing out the taxpayers money.

Bluedog

Mayor
I learned the hard way. Ran up too much debt and spent a long time paying it off. My credit card sits in a drawer and only because Enterprise rent a car won't accept a debit card with a Visa logo. Our government is borrowing and spending with an extension on the credit limit. Just because our country can borrow, maybe its not the smartest thing to do. Want proof, look at how high the debt is.

IMHO

S

squareshot

that living off of a credit card was not a good idea? If you go and get cash advances to pay the bills that come due, the day comes when you get maxed out. Then what happens?

This is exactly what our country keeps doing. We're being told that if our credit limit is not raised, we will be in default. So that would mean that we cannot pay the bills that we already have if we don't borrow more money.

Since this is already the case why in the world do we keep going around and giving more money away or using it place of diplomacy? As soon as steps are taken to extend our debt limit to hold us until something can be worked out, we're right there pouring as much more money down a rathole as we can find a way to do. We keep opening more military bases in spite of the fact that nobody is even threatening us, and ordering incredibly expensive planes, ships and weapons, some of which we already know don't even work. It's not as though we're increasing that debt limit to do the things that we need here at home.

We're just all supposed to pay for it until we're all maxed out.

Obama to ask business leaders to push Congress to raise debt limit - Yahoo News Canada

S

squareshot

We can not live off debt. But we need to figure out how to pay for the money we have already spent. Cutting spending on many of the of the programs that will not pay for themselves either in goods and services, or in humane value should be reduced or removed altogether. The interstate highways have to be fixed. The idea that we can allow a U.S. citizen to drive off into a river, is just not an option. We need the fraud and incompetence in Social Security ended. And in all other government programs the IRS should be put to work figuring out where we are wasting funds, and their investigations should go through all government functions . The military has had a blank check with black ops and that needs to change. We must become very austere, if Washington is to ever become solvent. As a nation, and as a world leader, we need to temper our policies to the idea of trying to win a few friends, and ending subsidies. I don't think we can afford to give away funds that we have to borrow.

MaryAnne

Governor
I learned the hard way. Ran up too much debt and spent a long time paying it off. My credit card sits in a drawer and only because Enterprise rent a car won't accept a debit card with a Visa logo. Our government is borrowing and spending with an extension on the credit limit. Just because our country can borrow, maybe its not the smartest thing to do. Want proof, look at how high the debt is.

IMHO
I have never carried a credit card balance. If I do not have the money I do not buy. I use a card so I can write one check at the end of the month,and some have perks,too.

I only bought houses and cars on credit. But fretted until they were paid off.

Obama has brought the debt down faster than any President,ever. But we are still paying for 2 wars,fought off budget, and trying to get the economy back on track.

S

squareshot

I have never carried a credit card balance. If I do not have the money I do not buy. I use a card so I can write one check at the end of the month,and some have perks,too.

I only bought houses and cars on credit. But fretted until they were paid off.

Obama has brought the debt down faster than any President,ever. But we are still paying for 2 wars,fought off budget, and trying to get the economy back on track.
Hi MA, If we could get that idea to take hold in Washington, maybe some day we can look back , and say remember when, we owed more money than we thought we could ever pay off.

MaryAnne

Governor
Hi MA, If we could get that idea to take hold in Washington, maybe some day we can look back , and say remember when, we owed more money than we thought we could ever pay off.
Clinton was trying. Then the USSC installed Bush.

Those doing the complaining now are the ones who ran up the debt.

Caroljo

Senator

And Bush also had 9/11, yes 2 wars that was approved by many of the Dems and Congress, then there was Katrina, then Bush tried to warn us about the housing bubble....which Barney Frank said nothing was wrong with it (and happened because of Clinton deregulating the banks and pushing to get low income people into homes), then the Dems took over the spending in Congress in 2007. Not too many Presidents have had this many problems......and it's not all Bush's fault. Just my 2 cents :)

S

squareshot

Yes, and that kills my soul. I have never seen a group of people try to blame others for things they helped to create. We need people in Washington who go there and fix things, not do their damnedest to throw a monkey wrench into things. We need people who will think before they cause more damage, than they have already visited on us,

S

squareshot

And Bush also had 9/11, yes 2 wars that was approved by many of the Dems and Congress, then there was Katrina, then Bush tried to warn us about the housing bubble....which Barney Frank said nothing was wrong with it (and happened because of Clinton deregulating the banks and pushing to get low income people into homes), then the Dems took over the spending in Congress in 2007. Not too many Presidents have had this many problems......and it's not all Bush's fault. Just my 2 cents :)
OK CJ, I have admitted that both parties are responsible for getting us here. The next question is what do we do now. Are we going to fight the next three year because we don't like the current president. Absolutely no progress has been made over the last five years. Will you let the next three years go to waste. Do the Republicans try to be helpful, or continually stand in the road to progress. If they want to return to Washington as government employees, I know what the answer better be, and so do you.

fairsheet

Senator
That post deserves a prize for, "Most Fox/GOPian Shouting Points, Crammed Into One Paragraph"!

MaryAnne

Governor
Yes, and that kills my soul. I have never seen a group of people try to blame others for things they helped to create. We need people in Washington who go there and fix things, not do their damnedest to throw a monkey wrench into things. We need people who will think before they cause more damage, than they have already visited on us,
I often wonder where Rehnquist is right now and what the other 4 think about in the dead of night.

Wahbooz

Governor
Let me remind you..... again.

Now pay attention to how bush got Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to front the housing bubble.

And our debt.

Clinton signed the Gramm/Leach/Bliley Act which repealed Glass/Steagall. He should have vetoed it, but it would have passed again with a veto proof majority.

Those are the facts.