• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

How the US Tumbles Into a Constitutional Crisis

Here's the key word: "normal."

https://qz.com/1196020/donald-trump-robert-mueller-nunes-fbi-memo-us-constitutional-crisis-looms/

"Reasonable people are saying the US appears to be teetering on the edge of a constitutional crisis, as the system of checks and balances that has kept democracy humming in America for more than 240 years could be on the verge of breaking down.

"'We’re in absolutely uncharted waters,' Heather Richardson, a professor of American history at Boston College and the author of a history of the Republican party, told Quartz, adding 'I’m beside myself.'

"The framers of the constitution 'did not construct a system that was designed to withstand failing all at once,' she said. But the US is now in the throes of a 'rogue presidency, a rogue Congress, and packed courts.'

"'I think this is the most profound crisis the country has ever been in,' she said, “and we’re all acting as if this is normal.'

"The White House threat to release a controversial memo on the FBI’s Russia investigation marks the latest attempt by Donald Trump, his advisors, and a core group of Republican lawmakers to discredit the probe—despite the fact that US intelligence-agency heads, including those hand-picked by Trump, have confirmed Russia’s involvement meddling in the 2016 US presidential election."

connieb

Senator

https://qz.com/1196020/donald-trump-robert-mueller-nunes-fbi-memo-us-constitutional-crisis-looms/

"Reasonable people are saying the US appears to be teetering on the edge of a constitutional crisis, as the system of checks and balances that has kept democracy humming in America for more than 240 years could be on the verge of breaking down.

"'We’re in absolutely uncharted waters,' Heather Richardson, a professor of American history at Boston College and the author of a history of the Republican party, told Quartz, adding 'I’m beside myself.'

"The framers of the constitution 'did not construct a system that was designed to withstand failing all at once,' she said. But the US is now in the throes of a 'rogue presidency, a rogue Congress, and packed courts.'

"'I think this is the most profound crisis the country has ever been in,' she said, “and we’re all acting as if this is normal.'

"The White House threat to release a controversial memo on the FBI’s Russia investigation marks the latest attempt by Donald Trump, his advisors, and a core group of Republican lawmakers to discredit the probe—despite the fact that US intelligence-agency heads, including those hand-picked by Trump, have confirmed Russia’s involvement meddling in the 2016 US presidential election."
I call bullshit on her hyperbole... considering that you know.. 150 or so years ago we actually fighting a civil war....... This is hardly "the most profound crisis the country has ever been in".......

I call bullshit on her hyperbole... considering that you know.. 150 or so years ago we actually fighting a civil war....... This is hardly "the most profound crisis the country has ever been in".......
You would think a professor of US history would have remembered?

"The government is lurching from emergency to emergency

"Trump is scheduled to speak tonight (Feb. 1) at the winter conference of the Republican National Committee, at an event held at his Trump International hotel in Washington, DC—and one that will likely profit the president and his family.

"On Feb. 8, the Congress again is to convene in its next attempt to pass a budget to keep the government open for the next few weeks or months, the fifth time it has been forced to pass a short-term budget since Trump took office, and a sign of how dysfunctional Washington is right now."

connieb

Senator
You would think a professor of US history would have remembered?

"The government is lurching from emergency to emergency

"Trump is scheduled to speak tonight (Feb. 1) at the winter conference of the Republican National Committee, at an event held at his Trump International hotel in Washington, DC—and one that will likely profit the president and his family.

"On Feb. 8, the Congress again is to convene in its next attempt to pass a budget to keep the government open for the next few weeks or months, the fifth time it has been forced to pass a short-term budget since Trump took office, and a sign of how dysfunctional Washington is right now."
The swamp was always about career bureaucrats and their allegiances to their own politics and agendas. So far we are doing really well booting them. A bunch of career swampdwellers have left. MAGA!

The swamp was always about career bureaucrats and their allegiances to their own politics and agendas. So far we are doing really well booting them. A bunch of career swampdwellers have left. MAGA!
Are billionaire real estate speculators and Goldman Sachs part of the swamp?

"Yesterday we reported that the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Jay Clayton – the man ostensibly in charge of providing financial transparency to the American people – has tens of millions of dollars in family net worth tied to a Delaware company specializing in providing secrecy to corporate entities. (This actually makes sense for an administration packed with billionaires with lots of tax haven accounts.)"
http://wallstreetonparade.com/

connieb

Senator
Are billionaire real estate speculators and Goldman Sachs part of the swamp?

"Yesterday we reported that the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Jay Clayton – the man ostensibly in charge of providing financial transparency to the American people – has tens of millions of dollars in family net worth tied to a Delaware company specializing in providing secrecy to corporate entities. (This actually makes sense for an administration packed with billionaires with lots of tax haven accounts.)"
http://wallstreetonparade.com/
Nope. The swamp was all about cleaning house on the D.C.-crats.

connieb

Senator
Do you just mean a political purge of democrats? isn't that what Republicans really want?
I have no idea what the republicans want. What I want is to make sure there are no potentially subversive bureaucrats who are unable or unwilling to execute their duties in Accordance with the agenda of whatever administration is on power. I want to make sure our justice departments are cleaned of those with bias and advancing their own political agenda particularly where it comes to the activities we as taxpayers pay for done by the activist social justice warrior types. They need to understand they have no power.

I have no idea what the republicans want. What I want is to make sure there are no potentially subversive bureaucrats who are unable or unwilling to execute their duties in Accordance with the agenda of whatever administration is on power. I want to make sure our justice departments are cleaned of those with bias and advancing their own political agenda particularly where it comes to the activities we as taxpayers pay for done by the activist social justice warrior types. They need to understand they have no power.
So "activist social justice warrior types" are the only people with political agendas in the government? Or are those are the only political agendas you personally to remove from government?

sensible don

Governor
Supporting Member
Hey Trump is on vacation again - now at 138 days he has spent at a Trump Property of 357 days in office

When in doubt, spend millions in tax money on another "much needed" vacation, I guess having to read the 6 memo pages, if he read all 6 pages, wore him out.

EatTheRich

President
Don't forget the corrupt and unaccountable intelligence agencies and a military with an unusual degree of independence, a seemingly limitless credit card, and an officer corps more vocal about politics than for decades.

EatTheRich

President
In short, a strong unitary executive unhampered by a single iota of the law, insensitive to social justice, and thus able to crush all dissent ... as long as they cut taxes.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*

No crisis here. We have now proven how lefty abused his power under Obama who did nothing to stop it. have some respect and stop while you are only this far behind.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
In short, a strong unitary executive unhampered by a single iota of the law, insensitive to social justice, and thus able to crush all dissent ... as long as they cut taxes.
Since Blacks are working more under a Trump administration free from the democrat plantation owners you should be happy about that

EatTheRich

President
Black unemployment rate in successive Januaries:

2009 (Obama takes office, inheriting economy from Bush): 12.7%
2010: 16.5%
2011: 15.8%
2012: 13.6%
2013 (Obama begins 2nd term): 13.7%
2014: 12.1%
2015: 10.4%
2016: 8.9%
2017 (Trump takes office, inheriting Obama economy): 7.8%
2018: 7.7%

Under Obama Black unemployment dropped (measured not from its peak but from when he took office) by 4.9 points, or 39%. Under Trump it dropped by another 0.1 points, or 1%.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
Black unemployment rate in successive Januaries:

2009 (Obama takes office, inheriting economy from Bush): 12.7%
2010: 16.5%
2011: 15.8%
2012: 13.6%
2013 (Obama begins 2nd term): 13.7%
2014: 12.1%
2015: 10.4%
2016: 8.9%
2017 (Trump takes office, inheriting Obama economy): 7.8%
2018: 7.7%

Under Obama Black unemployment dropped (measured not from its peak but from when he took office) by 4.9 points, or 39%. Under Trump it dropped by another 0.1 points, or 1%.
lol spin away little ballerina
When Trump said Blacks unemployment historically down