• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

I commute 100 miles per day.....just looked at a Nissan leaf

justoffal

Senator
It has a promised range of 80 miles per charge so I would have to find a quick charging station out near where I work to make it feasible. There is one nearby BTW.......However As large and wealthy as my employers are and as green as they pretend to be they still won't agree to install charging stations at the campus. But I digress.

So I took the dealer's word for the gas equivalent numbers.... 102 mpg they say is the cost conversion. That's probably about correct I guess.... too lazy to write out the math right now but I'm guessing they have their stuff in order.

Currently I drive a 2000 dodge stratus back and forth. I spend roughly 100 bucks a month on up keep .... brakes, bearings, front end stuff...... the occasionally under the hood fix..... buy one set of tires about every 8 months.... It gets about 32 mpg. Not bad.

The leaf even with the tax break comes it at about $450.00 bucks a month with a thousand down.

My schedule has me working 43 out of 56 days in an 8 week rotation. at $3.75 per gallon I spend roughly 100/32 *3.75 per day or roughly 12 bucks. 12 bucks multiplied by 43 is 516 dollars for gas every eight weeks. Now then.... if the conversion equivalent is 102 mpg then my total savings is equal to 516- ( 516 * (32/102) ) or 516-161.8 ....... or about 354 bucks every two months.... right now I have no payment but I do spend regularly on maintenance. Also my excise tax bill is very low and so is my auto coverage.

The 354 bucks doesn't even make one monthly payment stretched out over two months add to that increased excise fees, higher insurance and a net loss out of pocket of approximately ( 900-354 ) $546.00 every 8 weeks and I have little to no incentive to make such a move.

I'm not sure how they're going to sell these things but the salesman was pretty flustered when I did the numbers for him.

JO

connieb

Senator
It has a promised range of 80 miles per charge so I would have to find a quick charging station out near where I work to make it feasible. There is one nearby BTW.......However As large and wealthy as my employers are and as green as they pretend to be they still won't agree to install charging stations at the campus. But I digress.

So I took the dealer's word for the gas equivalent numbers.... 102 mpg they say is the cost conversion. That's probably about correct I guess.... too lazy to write out the math right now but I'm guessing they have their stuff in order.

Currently I drive a 2000 dodge stratus back and forth. I spend roughly 100 bucks a month on up keep .... brakes, bearings, front end stuff...... the occasionally under the hood fix..... buy one set of tires about every 8 months.... It gets about 32 mpg. Not bad.

The leaf even with the tax break comes it at about $450.00 bucks a month with a thousand down.

My schedule has me working 43 out of 56 days in an 8 week rotation. at $3.75 per gallon I spend roughly 100/32 *3.75 per day or roughly 12 bucks. 12 bucks multiplied by 43 is 516 dollars for gas every eight weeks. Now then.... if the conversion equivalent is 102 mpg then my total savings is equal to 516- ( 516 * (32/102) ) or 516-161.8 ....... or about 354 bucks every two months.... right now I have no payment but I do spend regularly on maintenance. Also my excise tax bill is very low and so is my auto coverage.

The 354 bucks doesn't even make one monthly payment stretched out over two months add to that increased excise fees, higher insurance and a net loss out of pocket of approximately ( 900-354 ) $546.00 every 8 weeks and I have little to no incentive to make such a move.

I'm not sure how they're going to sell these things but the salesman was pretty flustered when I did the numbers for him.

JO

I too commute about 100 miles a day. We have also done the math and it doesn't pan out for use either. Now, I must admit, that I didn't even want to do the math because I don't like cars - I want SUV's or a truck sized vehicle. I know it KILLS me on gas, but I want to feel safe. And, I do not feel safe when I can turn my head and the tire of a tractor trailer is higher than my head. But, I had to let DH have his fun. Even hybrids don't work out dollar wise for us. We do need to replace my car - but I can't find anything I like, so I'll probably end up driving it until it dies and and I am completely forced to do something.

I just got hit on my motorcycle a few weeks ago and it (and me) was totaled. I was getting 55-60 mpg on it for my 50 mile roundtrip commute. I'd go with another bike, but the wife says no way, she came too close to losing me. Now I'm looking for a gas-saver car to commute to work. I like the Honda Prius C, the Honda Fit and the Chevy Sonic. I used to have a Mini Cooper, thinking about maybe getting another one. My other car is a 3/4 ton pickup that gets 10 mpg. No way I'm driving it to work. Let me know what you end up with and how you like it. There are a lot of options out there these days.

I just got hit on my motorcycle a few weeks ago and it (and me) was totaled. I was getting 55-60 mpg on it for my 50 mile roundtrip commute. I'd go with another bike, but the wife says no way, she came too close to losing me. Now I'm looking for a gas-saver car to commute to work. I like the Honda Prius C, the Honda Fit and the Chevy Sonic. I used to have a Mini Cooper, thinking about maybe getting another one. My other car is a 3/4 ton pickup that gets 10 mpg. No way I'm driving it to work. Let me know what you end up with and how you like it. There are a lot of options out there these days.
Look at the Fusion hybrid if your commute is mostly city streets its a nice car and can save fuel. If my commute was mostly highway miles. I would look at all the high mileage cars no hybrid. The one that pops out is the Volkswagen TDI but I have seen too many regrets from Volkswagen owners and besides that diesel costs more

Look at the Fusion hybrid if your commute is mostly city streets its a nice car and can save fuel. If my commute was mostly highway miles. I would look at all the high mileage cars no hybrid. The one that pops out is the Volkswagen TDI but I have seen too many regrets from Volkswagen owners and besides that diesel costs more
My commute is almost all highway. I owned a VW Passat in the early 2000s and would never buy another VW product. I bought that car brand new and had it in the shop five times in the first three months. I actually got a "check engine" light on the way home from the dealership on the day I bought it. Worst case of buyer's remorse I ever had, probably worse than some Obama voters had...;)

I'll check out the Fusion, but I'm a bit skeptical of the long-term ownership costs of hybrids.

Jen

Senator

JO
The big questions are (for any commuter thinking about the Leaf) are [1] how long does it take to charge; and [2] how long is your walk from the charging station to where you spend your day.

If that charge station at the other end is pretty far from work, then it might not be worth it time-wise. And it is obvious that you can't go to work and home on one charge.

They are going to have to get lots of charging stations going, AND lengthen the drive per charge on those cars before they are going to be able to sell them - at least to people who do the math.

Jen

Senator
My commute is almost all highway. I owned a VW Passat in the early 2000s and would never buy another VW product. I bought that car brand new and had it in the shop five times in the first three months. I actually got a "check engine" light on the way home from the dealership on the day I bought it. Worst case of buyer's remorse I ever had, probably worse than some Obama voters had...;)

I'll check out the Fusion, but I'm a bit skeptical of the long-term ownership costs of hybrids.
We have owned Chrysler/Dodge cars and Toyotas and I have always been happy with the Toyotas. We have a 2007 Sienna (lots of miles and paid for) and a 2012 Highlander. While I like the feel and zip of a small car, I feel better in a taller car. The Sienna is going on 200,000 miles and we have had absolutely no problems with it. The Highlander has had some little quick-fix things go wrong. I am sure other cars are good but my good experience with Toyota keeps me there.

One more regret to add to the list as far as VW goes

connieb

Senator
Geeze, Marv, glad you are ok. I was glad when my DH gave up his motorcycle.

Geeze, Marv, glad you are ok. I was glad when my DH gave up his motorcycle.
Thanks Connie. I got pretty jacked up, but I'll be ok long term. Broke a few ribs, my pelvis, a vertebra. Got a concussion and some serious road rash on my arms (I'll never ride without sleeves again!). I was lucky though, and thanks to God I was spared serious permanent injury. Thankfully, I have good insurance, because the person who hit me didn't.

connieb

Senator
Thanks Connie. I got pretty jacked up, but I'll be ok long term. Broke a few ribs, my pelvis, a vertebra. Got a concussion and some serious road rash on my arms (I'll never ride without sleeves again!). I was lucky though, and thanks to God I was spared serious permanent injury. Thankfully, I have good insurance, because the person who hit me didn't.
Dag gone. No wonder the wife said no way. That sounds horrible. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dag gone. No wonder the wife said no way. That sounds horrible. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Thank you. I keep trying to tell her that this kind of thing won't faze a tough Russian like me, but she's adamant NO more motorcycles. Happy wife, happy life, right?

fairsheet

Senator

JO
"Consumer Reports" had a worthwhile little piece on this one a month or two ago. It rarely makes sense (dollars and cents) to replace a car solely for the purpose of increased efficiency. But, I suppose the calculation might be different if your current car was completely shot and was in need of replacement no matter what.

A few more factoids:

-"Motor Trend" (or a magazine of that ilk) ran a piece comparing a Leaf, with a Volt, with a Prius to compare both their relative efficiency AND "green-ness". It turns out there were dramatic differences depending on where you live. For instance, a Leaf makes most sense where I live because electricity is relatively inexpensive and most all of it comes from wind or hydro. But, the "story" changes dramatically if you live in a state with more expensive power made from coal.

-This one is more of a math puzzle than anything, but do the math on how much you'd save going from a 17mpg car to a 25mpg car, as opposed to going from a 30mpg one to a 45mpg one. The outcome might surprise you.

justoffal

Senator
"Consumer Reports" had a worthwhile little piece on this one a month or two ago. It rarely makes sense (dollars and cents) to replace a car solely for the purpose of increased efficiency. But, I suppose the calculation might be different if your current car was completely shot and was in need of replacement no matter what.

A few more factoids:

-"Motor Trend" (or a magazine of that ilk) ran a piece comparing a Leaf, with a Volt, with a Prius to compare both their relative efficiency AND "green-ness". It turns out there were dramatic differences depending on where you live. For instance, a Leaf makes most sense where I live because electricity is relatively inexpensive and most all of it comes from wind or hydro. But, the "story" changes dramatically if you live in a state with more expensive power made from coal.

-This one is more of a math puzzle than anything, but do the math on how much you'd save going from a 17mpg car to a 25mpg car, as opposed to going from a 30mpg one to a 45mpg one. The outcome might surprise you.

Well if I had to buy new... and mind you I try to avoid that because of the excise fees and the increased insurance coverage costs.... I would probably go with something like this:

1. The Pop hactch back can be bought locally for as little as 12K new and gets 42 mpg all day long.
So let's compare. 25K at 60 months for about 450/ month
As opposed to 12K at 60 months for about 220/month.

I dunno..... still not movitivated.

justoffal

Senator

A few more factoids:

lemme Guess.... you live in the north west...probably washington or oregon.

Your power won't be cheap much longer....subsidies will run away and the price of the megawatt will increase drastically when the coal grid shuts down. A megawatt is a meagwatt is a meagwatt and it is a commodity.

JO

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
lemme Guess.... you live in the north west...probably washington or oregon.

Your power won't be cheap much longer....subsidies will run away and the price of the megawatt will increase drastically when the coal grid shuts down. A megawatt is a meagwatt is a meagwatt and it is a commodity.

JO

Why guess? Fair has it right in his profile...

Roll on Columbia...