• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

“I got epilepsy, you motherfucker”

This, of course, is the reason Sandra Bland served up for not putting out her cigarette, and not exiting her vehicle when asked to do so during a routine traffic stop.

I welcome the inclusion of the Department of Justice, FBI, and other qualified agencies to conduct an autopsy and review the circumstances of Ms. Bland’s arrest and death.

I’m extremely troubled by the death of anyone in a jail cell. But here are some things I’m also troubled by in this incident

· Let’s start with Ms. Bland’s claim that she has “epilepsy”. There does not appear to be any truth to this. But even if it were true, it’s not a reason to disobey an officer’s instructions during a traffic stop. You turn off the radio, stop texting, extinguish your cigarette, produce your license and registration, and exit your car if told to do so. This is the law in Texas, and most other states as well, despite the outrage from other traffic violators who feel such procedures are unwarranted. How many instances of “police officer shot by man after traffic stop” do I need to link to?

· The dashcam video is a matter of dispute. Ms. Bland’s family and their attorney say it was “edited” to conceal the officer abusing Ms. Bland. Experts say the “jitters” are not edits, but common signal variations with this sort of technology. The audio is uninterrupted, and contains no evidence of officer abuse. However, the refusal to accept dash cam video is bad news for anyone who thought that “vest cams” were going to provide positive proof what went on during an arrest.

· We do see Ms. Bland protesting “do you even care that you slammed my head into the ground? I can’t hear”. After the false epilepsy claim, I leave it to your own conclusion whether her head was “slammed” with no provocation, or whether she was forced to the ground because she was resisting arrest.

· Her social media presence/friends say she was “depressed”. Her immediate family says the exact opposite. She does have an extensive social media presence dedicated to criticizing police.

· It stretches credulity that a local police department would murder someone in custody over a traffic violation. This city has quite a high population of blacks, and continuous traffic violations – and resisting arrest charges – from all races. What would be the motive in killing an unarmed black woman already in custody? That said, this police department has been to court several times on investigation of disparate treatment of blacks during arrest/detention.

· Why was she still in jail, 3 days after her arrest? Did she reach out to a bondman or family for bail assistance? Wasn't she staying with friends or relatives in town? This seems extremely odd for a traffic violation and resisting arrest escalation. Usually when someone calms down, they get a quick trip to the judge, and are turned loose on “unsecured bail” (no cash needed – just a promise to return on your court date). Jails usually don’t want the expense of misdemeanor felons behind bars for little reason. Did her family refuse bail assistance? Did Sandra refuse to promise to return on the court date?

· I find it odd that there is a camera in the jail hallway, but not where it can view the cell doors. Who dreamed up THAT layout?

Ms. Bland should still be alive. She should have followed the officer’s instructions instead of making hysterical medical claims and calling him a “motherfucker” at the outset. Whatever transpired after that point is not completely certain.

My vote is “not a homicide”, but I reserve the right to amend this if new evidence comes to light.

I welcome the inclusion of the Department of Justice, FBI, and other qualified agencies to conduct an autopsy and review the circumstances of Ms. Bland’s arrest and death.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
She missed Smokey's poem

evidently all white guilt liberals as well..........

Jen

Senator
She made quite a few videos as an activist claiming depression and other issues. While it's a shame she committed suicide it was a decision she herself made.
Yep. Suicide is a personal decision. No one else is at fault if someone does that.

She made quite a few videos as an activist claiming depression and other issues. While it's a shame she committed suicide it was a decision she herself made.
i completely buy into the meme that "artists" (van gogh, hemingway, sylvia plath) find depression to be a creative muse, and are more likely to attempt suicide.

that said, i don't think Ms. Bland's depression drove her so much to art as it did to irrationality.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
Once again they will riot...burn their own houses and once again divide the nation because of race!

Once again they will riot...burn their own houses and once again divide the nation because of race!
we're at the stage that black mistrust of police is so great, they are always assumed to be at fault, even when the officers themselves are black.

here in baltimore, of the 6 officers charged with Freddy Gray's death, only the black one is facing actual homicide charges. the white ones face lesser charges. and the black police chief was dismissed from his job for failing to prevent shootings and riots in a city that has a culture of drugs and crime.

connieb

Senator

This, of course, is the reason Sandra Bland served up for not putting out her cigarette, and not exiting her vehicle when asked to do so during a routine traffic stop.

I’m extremely troubled by the death of anyone in a jail cell. But here are some things I’m also troubled by in this incident

· Let’s start with Ms. Bland’s claim that she has “epilepsy”. There does not appear to be any truth to this. But even if it were true, it’s not a reason to disobey an officer’s instructions during a traffic stop. You turn off the radio, stop texting, extinguish your cigarette, produce your license and registration, and exit your car if told to do so. This is the law in Texas, and most other states as well, despite the outrage from other traffic violators who feel such procedures are unwarranted. How many instances of “police officer shot by man after traffic stop” do I need to link to?

· The dashcam video is a matter of dispute. Ms. Bland’s family and their attorney say it was “edited” to conceal the officer abusing Ms. Bland. Experts say the “jitters” are not edits, but common signal variations with this sort of technology. The audio is uninterrupted, and contains no evidence of officer abuse. However, the refusal to accept dash cam video is bad news for anyone who thought that “vest cams” were going to provide positive proof what went on during an arrest.

· We do see Ms. Bland protesting “do you even care that you slammed my head into the ground? I can’t hear”. After the false epilepsy claim, I leave it to your own conclusion whether her head was “slammed” with no provocation, or whether she was forced to the ground because she was resisting arrest.

· Her social media presence/friends say she was “depressed”. Her immediate family says the exact opposite. She does have an extensive social media presence dedicated to criticizing police.

· It stretches credulity that a local police department would murder someone in custody over a traffic violation. This city has quite a high population of blacks, and continuous traffic violations – and resisting arrest charges – from all races. What would be the motive in killing an unarmed black woman already in custody? That said, this police department has been to court several times on investigation of disparate treatment of blacks during arrest/detention.

· Why was she still in jail, 3 days after her arrest? Did she reach out to a bondman or family for bail assistance? Wasn't she staying with friends or relatives in town? This seems extremely odd for a traffic violation and resisting arrest escalation. Usually when someone calms down, they get a quick trip to the judge, and are turned loose on “unsecured bail” (no cash needed – just a promise to return on your court date). Jails usually don’t want the expense of misdemeanor felons behind bars for little reason. Did her family refuse bail assistance? Did Sandra refuse to promise to return on the court date?

· I find it odd that there is a camera in the jail hallway, but not where it can view the cell doors. Who dreamed up THAT layout?

Ms. Bland should still be alive. She should have followed the officer’s instructions instead of making hysterical medical claims and calling him a “motherfucker” at the outset. Whatever transpired after that point is not completely certain.

My vote is “not a homicide”, but I reserve the right to amend this if new evidence comes to light.

I too was wondering how she was still in jail three days later for what amounted to a pretty bogus resisting charge. I mean - she did resist. But, we all know this is the kind of thing that gets tossed every day. So, if continuing to lock her up contributed to her declining mental condition and they did not transfer her to a hospital, etc... I do think there is some blame there.

But, as usual... these things go so much better when you don't give lip and attitude to the cops. Take your ticket, bitch about it on social media... and to your friends, contest it in court if you want... but as many have before lamented... when you fight the law, the law often wins. And discretion is often the better part of valor... do you want to make apoint by mouthing off and potentially creating headaches for yourself, or do you leave the field of battle so you are ready to fight another day? Methinks the latter is most often the better choice.

connie

I too was wondering how she was still in jail three days later for what amounted to a pretty bogus resisting charge. I mean - she did resist. But, we all know this is the kind of thing that gets tossed every day. So, if continuing to lock her up contributed to her declining mental condition and they did not transfer her to a hospital, etc... I do think there is some blame there.

But, as usual... these things go so much better when you don't give lip and attitude to the cops. Take your ticket, bitch about it on social media... and to your friends, contest it in court if you want... but as many have before lamented... when you fight the law, the law often wins. And discretion is often the better part of valor... do you want to make apoint by mouthing off and potentially creating headaches for yourself, or do you leave the field of battle so you are ready to fight another day? Methinks the latter is most often the better choice.

connie
she was staying with friends or family - not a motel. why did no one come to get her? local bail bondsmen are apprised of all people newly incarcerated as well, and routinely reach out to people they believe at 'low risk' for bail jumping and a loss.

either Ms. Bland was being held incommunicado (which is unlikely, since there was a phone in her cell) or in conversations between Ms. Bland and her family, she deliberately elected to remain behind bars, in order to "make a statement" or win some sort of punitive damages award for wrongful arrest.

Drumcollie

connie
Thank GOD it wasn't a state run by Democrats. Can you imagine Alabama 1963...it's a non issue and makes no headlines.

Drumcollie

she was staying with friends or family - not a motel. why did no one come to get her? local bail bondsmen are apprised of all people newly incarcerated as well, and routinely reach out to people they believe at 'low risk' for bail jumping and a loss.

either Ms. Bland was being held incommunicado (which is unlikely, since there was a phone in her cell) or in conversations between Ms. Bland and her family, she deliberately elected to remain behind bars, in order to "make a statement" or win some sort of punitive damages award for wrongful arrest.
It's gonna not add up and the more it's protested the worse it will get for the case of those who protest.

Is her family selling the t-shirt yet?

That's the sad part. But it's what our current administration and its minions are hoping for.

if president obama was up for relection, he'd probably be hoping it happened closer to election day.

not sure hillary or bernie feel that way. they're not connecting with black voters

MrMike

Bless you all
Obama will likely make a statement on Blands behalf.... meanwhile for that gal killed by an illegal in SF = zilch

Obama will likely make a statement on Blands behalf.... meanwhile for that gal killed by an illegal in SF = zilch
i think the white house "message of the day" is going to be Iran Treaty for the forseeable future.

obama is personally calling "uncertain democrats" in an attempt to ensure that republicans don't amass a veto proof majority when the reject the treaty.

schumer is especially a target in this battle. he's very suspicious of the treaty.