• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

I need some suggestions...Should we put in a pool???

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
What a horrible experience! I've always thought above ground pools were safer, nobody can just FALL into it. And like you said...it can get pretty expensive to maintain.
We had a small aboveground pool many years ago, and the thing just collapsed, one day, carrying one of my grandsons right out into the yard, with the water.

LeilaniMP

Empress
It was tough, I bawled like a baby. I always had a dog, growing up, and I've always been a dog person, but I understand that people who have cats, are just as attached to them as I am to my dogs. It's hard to lose a pet.
I'm so sorry for you! That is so hard. They're our furry family members.

I love dogs, too. We always had them in our family and I occasionally think about getting one, again. We'll see.

Sending you hugs.

LeilaniMP

Empress
I didn't like the long flight to Europe either. But I only did it a half a dozen times.......not as much as you did. I don't get sick flying but I don't enjoy it much. Not looking forward to the long flight to Maui next month at all.
Maui....you lucky woman!

Caroljo

Senator
Maui....you lucky woman!
Never been to Maui, even though I lived 1 1/2 yrs on Oahu. I did make it to Kauai one weekend with a friend I worked with. So gorgeous! I hated living in Hawaii...Oahu was (and I'm sure still is) very touristy. We learned where to go out to dinner in the out of the way little villages that weren't so expensive as Honolulu. We only went there on special occasions. That was back in the 70's....so I would love to go back for a vacation, just to see how things have changed. We lived on Hickam AFB...many of the buildings still had the bullet holes in them from the Pearl Harbor attack.

LeilaniMP

Empress
Never been to Maui, even though I lived 1 1/2 yrs on Oahu. I did make it to Kauai one weekend with a friend I worked with. So gorgeous! I hated living in Hawaii...Oahu was (and I'm sure still is) very touristy. We learned where to go out to dinner in the out of the way little villages that weren't so expensive as Honolulu. We only went there on special occasions. That was back in the 70's....so I would love to go back for a vacation, just to see how things have changed. We lived on Hickam AFB...many of the buildings still had the bullet holes in them from the Pearl Harbor attack.
How cool! Hopefully you'll be able to get back there one of these days! My uncle and his family lived on Ford Island in the late 60's.

That's amazing that the buildings at Hickam AFB still had the bullet holes from the Pearl Harbor attack. Did they leave them that way as a remembrance?

I love Hawaii and have been to Oahu, Maui, The Big Island and Lanai. I love how you have such a diverse climate on Lanai...drive half an hour up into the mountains, and it's 20-30 degrees cooler. I try to get back to HI at least once a year, as it is my "happy place". The climate is perfect.

Caroljo

Senator
How cool! Hopefully you'll be able to get back there one of these days! My uncle and his family lived on Ford Island in the late 60's.

That's amazing that the buildings at Hickam AFB still had the bullet holes from the Pearl Harbor attack. Did they leave them that way as a remembrance?

I love Hawaii and have been to Oahu, Maui, The Big Island and Lanai. I love how you have such a diverse climate on Lanai...drive half an hour up into the mountains, and it's 20-30 degrees cooler. I try to get back to HI at least once a year, as it is my "happy place". The climate is perfect.
Yes, many of the old buildings are the same as back when Pearl Harbor happened, and they're still strong buildings, so they're still being used. Some are just riddled with bullet holes! I'm sure it was kept as a remembrance. My ex's mother was Hawaiian and she told stories of them running from the bombs. His dad was in the Navy and they met at that time. So when we moved there, we stayed with some of his cousins until we could get a house on base. So it was nice to have family there! A lot of awesome history!
Again...I'd have to get the hubby on a plane to go there, geesh! Lol!

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
LMAO..........craig has evidently been surfing and not even in the thread and just posted somewhere else you were going to HELL for showing off your new car...........LMAO whine whine whine

LeilaniMP

Empress
LMAO..........craig has evidently been surfing and not even in the thread and just posted somewhere else you were going to HELL for showing off your new car...........LMAO whine whine whine
Seriously?!? Oh, Lordy!

Hmmmm....I'm going car shopping soon...I better not post what I get! LOLOLOL

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Seriously?!? Oh, Lordy!

Hmmmm....I'm going car shopping soon...I better not post what I get! LOLOLOL
Oh yeah, I need find the thread.............did his usual whine BS about her new car and material things and God.........☺

Trolling

Actually, it is sweat off your back. Your life is watched just as you believe others lives are ewatched...and eternally judged. You just bragged about a brand new Cadillac. Is such pride in a material good the ideal Jesus sets forth for one who desires entance to Heaven? Not in my Bible.

BINGO....carol Wins

Last edited:

Jen

Senator
I lived on Oahu for a while (as a Navy wife) also, @Caroljo. When were you there? I was there in 1977-78. My husband was on the Subbase part of Pearl and I spent lots of time in that area. We lived in Salt Lake and we went to the Pearl Mall to the arkade. We had several good places to eat. One was a dive called Kelly's (not down in waikiki). Excellent eggs benedict. There was another chain restaurant we liked.......Marie's or something. It may have been a Marie Callender for all I know - they had delicious pies.

I've never been to Maui but my son and his family have been there on vacation once or twice. Looking forward to it. It's a destination wedding for one of our sons so our whole family will be there.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Time for us to car shop also. I'm glad to know not to talk about it here due to the jealousy of some posters.
New car will send ya to HELL, according to craig...........he must have drove used cabs☻

Caroljo

Senator
I lived on Oahu for a while (as a Navy wife) also, @Caroljo. When were you there? I was there in 1977-78. My husband was on the Subbase part of Pearl and I spent lots of time in that area. We lived in Salt Lake and we went to the Pearl Mall to the arkade. We had several good places to eat. One was a dive called Kelly's (not down in waikiki). Excellent eggs benedict. There was another chain restaurant we liked.......Marie's or something. It may have been a Marie Callender for all I know - they had delicious pies.

I've never been to Maui but my son and his family have been there on vacation once or twice. Looking forward to it. It's a destination wedding for one of our sons so our whole family will be there.
That's the same time we were there!! I don't remember the names of the restaurants we'd go to, we seldom went out to eat. He had relatives there so we'd spend time with the. His cousins daughter was married to a Japanese guy and we'd have all kinds of interesting meals! We only visited the tourist areas when we had family visiting. I worked at the Credit Union on Hickam...it served all of the Military on the Island.

Jen

Senator
That's the same time we were there!! I don't remember the names of the restaurants we'd go to, we seldom went out to eat. He had relatives there so we'd spend time with the. His cousins daughter was married to a Japanese guy and we'd have all kinds of interesting meals! We only visited the tourist areas when we had family visiting. I worked at the Credit Union on Hickam...it served all of the Military on the Island.
Wow! Small world. The Bonefish (diesel submarine) was a small community so I hung out with the wives and went all over the place with a couple of them (that I"m still friends with on FB). We didn't go to the touristy areas, but we did go across the island to Kailua and Kaneohe ...and one night had a flat tire at the top of the mountain and had to hitchhike back down to Honolulu to Hotel Street where we got a cab home. We checked out Hotel Street (called "S**t Street by the Navy guys) where the trannies hung out. And we frequently went to a tiny bar behind Don Ho's that was a submariner bar. My ex husband and I got married on Oahu. But that's another story.

Caroljo

Senator
Wow! Small world. The Bonefish (diesel submarine) was a small community so I hung out with the wives and went all over the place with a couple of them (that I"m still friends with on FB). We didn't go to the touristy areas, but we did go across the island to Kailua and Kaneohe ...and one night had a flat tire at the top of the mountain and had to hitchhike back down to Honolulu to Hotel Street where we got a cab home. We checked out Hotel Street (called "S**t Street by the Navy guys) where the trannies hung out. And we frequently went to a tiny bar behind Don Ho's that was a submariner bar. My ex husband and I got married on Oahu. But that's another story.
Oh...I remember Hotel St! A good friend I worked with was Portugese Hawaiian and was from Hawaii, so she knew her way around well (she's also the one I went to Kauai with). We took my 2 boys to a Halloween haunted house that was just off hotel street. The college kids put it on. I remember coming to a stop at a light, Joanne told me to have my door locked and window down just a little. There were 2 women standing there, all decked out but really pretty women....then one talked! They were guys! Lol! Hotel street was very well known! Oh...and speaking of Don Ho, my husbands cousin to me with her and a bunch of her co-workers to see his show one night....free champaign and all. That champaign didn't agree with me....I was sick for 2 days! I've never drank any of that crap again! Ha!

Jen

Senator
Oh...I remember Hotel St! A good friend I worked with was Portugese Hawaiian and was from Hawaii, so she knew her way around well (she's also the one I went to Kauai with). We took my 2 boys to a Halloween haunted house that was just off hotel street. The college kids put it on. I remember coming to a stop at a light, Joanne told me to have my door locked and window down just a little. There were 2 women standing there, all decked out but really pretty women....then one talked! They were guys! Lol! Hotel street was very well known! Oh...and speaking of Don Ho, my husbands cousin to me with her and a bunch of her co-workers to see his show one night....free champaign and all. That champaign didn't agree with me....I was sick for 2 days! I've never drank any of that crap again! Ha!
Hotel Street is one of the most interesting sights of Honolulu. I'm guessing most tourists might miss it though.

LeilaniMP

Empress
Hotel Street is one of the most interesting sights of Honolulu. I'm guessing most tourists might miss it though.
As many times as I've been there, this is the first I've ever heard of it....

I'm going back to HNL in July and will definitely have to check it out.

Do you remember the old International Market Place, in the center of Waikiki? It's gone now...they put up another mall. Yes, they saved the banyan tree and sign...but so what? :(

I keep toying with the idea of moving there, but it is so far away from "home". Plus, since the restoration from the flood last year, I'm inspired to redo the rest of my house, so now it's going to be "just right".

Caroljo

Senator
As many times as I've been there, this is the first I've ever heard of it....

I'm going back to HNL in July and will definitely have to check it out.

Do you remember the old International Market Place, in the center of Waikiki? It's gone now...they put up another mall. Yes, they saved the banyan tree and sign...but so what? :(

I keep toying with the idea of moving there, but it is so far away from "home". Plus, since the restoration from the flood last year, I'm inspired to redo the rest of my house, so now it's going to be "just right".
I loved the Market place! So many cool things there! Yes, you'll have to check out Hotel Street, but I wouldn't hang around. Mostly Trans and gay bars! It was very well known during WWII. My dad would joke around about it sometimes....lots of military guys would go there on leave! :) Back then it was mostly just whores and protitutes though.