• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

I think this whole Russia collusion thing could be turned on a dime...

For example, one could just as easily ask...

why did the Obama Administration attempt to collude with the Russians in order to have Hillary Clinton elected, and then the Russians double-cross them?

Or

why did the Obama Administration do nothing with the information that Russians were attempting to hack the US electoral system? Was it collusion?

I'll give everyone there Trump collusion accusation but I'll stick to my standard... Prove it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/21/587614043/fact-check-why-didnt-obama-stop-russia-s-election-interference-in-2016
Benedict Donald asked Russia for help and got it that night

Any questions?

regards

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Numerous.

But Obama knew that Russia had it's fingers in our election before the election of 2016 and he did nothing. NOW......... somehow..........it's on Trump.

I thought that had been explained in numerous posts. Odd that you didn't see it. And if you want more specifics, just look it up.
numerous, but you have not one single example?

Zam-Zam

Senator

why did the Obama Administration attempt to collude with the Russians in order to have Hillary Clinton elected, and then the Russians double-cross them?

Or

why did the Obama Administration do nothing with the information that Russians were attempting to hack the US electoral system? Was it collusion?

I'll give everyone there Trump collusion accusation but I'll stick to my standard... Prove it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/21/587614043/fact-check-why-didnt-obama-stop-russia-s-election-interference-in-2016

I found this portion of the NPR piece you cited particularly compelling:

So why didn't Obama's administration do more?
That isn't clear. Some former administration officials who have talked about it publicly have reproached themselves for not acting more aggressively. There also was a long-standing criticism of Obama that his foreign-policy making amounted to endless process with no outcomes — hours of meetings that yielded more meetings but no ultimate action.

Plus, the relationship between the United States and Russia is multifaceted and often intensely complicated:

• Obama scaled back missile defense plans in Europe to placate Moscow.
  • Obama wanted Russia to play a role in the international agreement under which Iran agreed to restrict its nuclear program — and Putin went along.
  • Obama spent the end of his presidency trying to bring Russia into a multilateral agreement to end the Syrian civil war, but Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov ultimately never committed.
So Obama's team had to manage many spinning plates in addition to the active measures campaign it detected by the middle of 2016. One question Obama may address in his book is why he calibrated his choices in the way he did — whether he looked the other way on election interference to keep open other options elsewhere.

"Looking the other way"...…..This would indicate the President had full knowledge, and did nothing, for whatever reason.

That's significant, no?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

That isn't clear. Some former administration officials who have talked about it publicly have reproached themselves for not acting more aggressively. There also was a long-standing criticism of Obama that his foreign-policy making amounted to endless process with no outcomes — hours of meetings that yielded more meetings but no ultimate action.

Plus, the relationship between the United States and Russia is multifaceted and often intensely complicated:

• Obama wanted Russia to play a role in the international agreement under which Iran agreed to restrict its nuclear program — and Putin went along.
  • Obama spent the end of his presidency trying to bring Russia into a multilateral agreement to end the Syrian civil war, but Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov ultimately never committed.
So Obama's team had to manage many spinning plates in addition to the active measures campaign it detected by the middle of 2016. One question Obama may address in his book is why he calibrated his choices in the way he did — whether he looked the other way on election interference to keep open other options elsewhere.

"Looking the other way"...…..This would indicate the President had full knowledge, and did nothing, for whatever reason.

That's significant, no?

Seems so

middleview

President
Supporting Member

That's significant, no?
The link provided shows a number of steps taken in an attempt to halt the interference. Both campaigns were informed. Election officials around the country were warned.
How do you think you halt the kind of hacks attempted...how do you stop emails from a number of sources that are trying to get passwords. You seem to think there is some "port of entry" into the US that we could simply scan incoming digital transmissions and stop the bad guys. Should we have bombed the site in Moscow where the hackers worked?

Many alternatives might have appeared as though Obama was interfering in the election if he'd gone public with an accusation that the Russians were helping Trump...and they were.

Zam-Zam

Senator
The link provided shows a number of steps taken in an attempt to halt the interference. Both campaigns were informed. Election officials around the country were warned.
How do you think you halt the kind of hacks attempted...how do you stop emails from a number of sources that are trying to get passwords. You seem to think there is some "port of entry" into the US that we could simply scan incoming digital transmissions and stop the bad guys. Should we have bombed the site in Moscow where the hackers worked?

Many alternatives might have appeared as though Obama was interfering in the election if he'd gone public with an accusation that the Russians were helping Trump...and they were.
There's this:

There also was a long-standing criticism of Obama that his foreign-policy making amounted to endless process with no outcomes — hours of meetings that yielded more meetings but no ultimate action.

Meetings.

Ugh.

Zam-Zam

Senator
oh look..a bird!

Your post said nothing was accomplished after endless meetings. We did smash ISIS, we did cripple Al Qaeda. We did build alliances against terrorism.
I can understand the desperation to change subjects, but if you check the subject line of the thread, you'll see clearly that I'm on point, and that you're not.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Perhaps for the same reason Obama didn't stop it, no?
It wasn't until January, 2017 that it was confirmed that Putin actually did direct this attack, a couple of weeks before Obama was out and Trump was in. Why hasn't Trump done anything? Why is Trump giving Putin a pass?

Zam-Zam

Senator
It wasn't until January, 2017 that it was confirmed that Putin actually did direct this attack, a couple of weeks before Obama was out and Trump was in. Why hasn't Trump done anything? Why is Trump giving Putin a pass?
If an election was meddled with, it happened on Obama's watch, no?

And if you've been following the thread, you already know that President Obama.....was aware:

So, are you giving President Obama a pass?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
If an election was meddled with, it happened on Obama's watch, no?

And if you've been following the thread, you already know that President Obama.....was aware:

So, are you giving President Obama a pass?
Obama sat back and let Trump win the election illegally....so he'd eventually end up impeached, in jail, or forced to resign.

MrMike

Bless you all

Or

Man....that's absolutely brilliantly evil!

(I like a little evil every now and then)