• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Icehouse...Texas trivia

I knew it was Texas slang for "bar" but it's very regional. I have a recording by a band called "The Austin Lounge Lizards" that was recorded live at the Waterloo Icehouse.
It's more than a bar it's more like a culture the original ice houses were actually ice houses that evolved into neighborhood gathering places to unwind they were open air places in an era when most folks did not have air conditioners and they would gather there chill, unwind, and socialize on hot evenings

trapdoor

Governor
It's more than a bar it's more like a culture the original ice houses were actually ice houses that evolved into neighborhood gathering places to unwind they were open air places in an era when most folks did not have air conditioners and they would gather there chill, unwind, and socialize on hot evenings
Thanks for the information. Like I said, it's pretty regional -- I think nearly specific to Texas. I grew up in Missouri and never heard the term icehouse used to refer to anything except the few remaining structures that had been used to store ice in the days before refrigeration.