• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

If Trump were innocent....

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
This is not a criminal prosecution. It’s an impeachment proceeding. Numerous statutory crimes are supported by the text of the Articles, but a president should be impeached for abuse of presidential powers regardless. For this proposition I rely upon GOP Senator Lindsey Graham...

It's not a "criminal prosecution" but the Constitution clearly calls out the "high crimes and misdemeanors" standard (misdemeanors of course, in the 1776 sense and not today's) which would seem to require some sort of criminal statute violation by the impeached. It was not designed to go after a POTUS for technical violations of Congressional spending legislation. Which is, of course, why this impeachment effort has been met with yawns by the American people.

Bugsy McGurk

President
It's not a "criminal prosecution" but the Constitution clearly calls out the "high crimes and misdemeanors" standard (misdemeanors of course, in the 1776 sense and not today's) which would seem to require some sort of criminal statute violation by the impeached. It was not designed to go after a POTUS for technical violations of Congressional spending legislation. Which is, of course, why this impeachment effort has been met with yawns by the American people.
You seem to disagree with Lindsey Graham and legal scholars who agree that abuse of the presidential powers is at the root of impeachment proceedings. Criminal prosecutions of violating statutes are to follow. And I’m sure you know this, but it is abuse of presidential power that is at issue, not just “technical violations of Congressional spending legislation.“

Bugsy McGurk

President
BTW, do you think presidents should be permitted to remain in office after shaking down a vulnerable foreign nation into accusing his political opponent of wrongdoing?

Bronwyn

Unapoligetically Republican
Maybe you should read the Articles of Impeachment. Trump is accused of abuse of power and his favorite crime - obstruction.

Let’s start with the first Article...

Do you think presidents should be permitted to remain in office after shaking down a vulnerable foreign nation into accusing his political opponent of wrongdoing?
Do you think a vice president should be allowed to hold foreign aid hostage because he wants someone from a foreign government fired and then openly brag about it?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
It is not up to him to prove his "innocence". That is not the way this works..
Actually, it does. When the scam came to light, Trump could've explained what happened and how he "didn't do anything wrong." Instead, he turned around and asked China to give him dirt on Biden, too. It's all there on tape.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
So a technical (and temporary) violation of the Impoundment Control Act is an impeachable offense? That is ridiculous. That is so obviously NOT what the founders had in mind regarding "high crimes and misdemeanors" that it borders on the preposterous.

I have news for you, many of us think sending hundreds of millions of borrowed money to the notoriously corrupt officials in Ukraine is stupid. So we don't care if he technically violated this stupid "law."
It wasn't technical at all. The law spells out the requirements. Trump violated the requirement and ignored the advice from DOD and OMB when they told him.
Temporary? Bending over backwards now, aren't you?

Yes officer, I was speeding, but it was only temporary....as soon as I saw your lights I slowed down.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
No, Trump is protecting the constitution and the separation of powers. If he allows this, future presidents will lose power. Trump is following the law and doing the right thing, but the loony left has no clue.
If Hillary had refused to testify about Benghazi or if the IRS people involved in that pretend scandal had refused to appear you and your ilk would have gone ballistic.

Hillary testified for 11 hours. Where is Pompeo? Shouldn't he be willing to do the same?
If the IRS can appear why can't DoD and OMB federal employees appear?

Colorforms

Senator

That explains it all.
Actually, Trump did want a full trial. McConnell didn't want to justify the house's subversion of the law, however. So you can blame McConnell on there not being a trial. Trump will get his hearing when he sues the house for false impeachment. :)

TBLee

Governor
Actually, it does. When the scam came to light, Trump could've explained what happened and how he "didn't do anything wrong." Instead, he turned around and asked China to give him dirt on Biden, too. It's all there on tape.
You need to spend some time reading up my dear.....lol

Bugsy McGurk

President
Bugs you are so predictable. DODGE is your go to word. Its code for..damn I am on the losing end of this discussion. ;)
Of course it’s predictable. You and your fellow wingers always dodge questions, and you know I’ll call you out on it.

Watch....I’ll make you do it again...

Do you think presidents should be permitted to remain in office after shaking down a vulnerable foreign nation into accusing his political opponent of wrongdoing?

Raoul_Luke

BTW, do you think presidents should be permitted to remain in office after shaking down a vulnerable foreign nation into accusing his political opponent of wrongdoing?
As far as I can tell, his motive for delaying the payment was rooted in his distrust of the corrupt Ukrainians as well as concern over what other nations were supporting the effort. Asking them to look into an obvious appearance of impropriety involving the Bidens (remember, the Obama state department confirmed that it looked fishy at the time) was a separate matter.

Raoul_Luke

It wasn't technical at all. The law spells out the requirements. Trump violated the requirement and ignored the advice from DOD and OMB when they told him.
Temporary? Bending over backwards now, aren't you?

Yes officer, I was speeding, but it was only temporary....as soon as I saw your lights I slowed down.
If you are suggesting Trump's "offense" was the Presidential equivalent of a speeding ticket, then I certainly agree!

Bugsy McGurk

President
As far as I can tell, his motive for delaying the payment was rooted in his distrust of the corrupt Ukrainians as well as concern over what other nations were supporting the effort. Asking them to look into an obvious appearance of impropriety involving the Bidens (remember, the Obama state department confirmed that it looked fishy at the time) was a separate matter.
I didn’t ask you to engage in more pro-Trump hackery.

I asked you a question. Which you dodged.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Imagine …...Bugsy using the word dodge. Such a surprise. LOL
Speaking of dodging, you dodged my post to you above, again.

Here it is...

Of course it’s predictable. You and your fellow wingers always dodge questions, and you know I’ll call you out on it.

TBLee

Governor
Speaking of dodging, you dodged my post to you above, again.

Here it is...

Bugsy...I gave up on you a while ago. Your main concern is how many people reply to your comments. Its like you might be getting perks for it...LOL Imagine that. ;)