• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

If you have a problem with me..............

MaryAnne

Governor
I'm gonna tell you something but if you tell I'll halfta kill ya! My hubby and I were on a cruise and the average age on that ship turned out to be 105. Wheelchair and walker races at 4 pm, dining at 5 pm, and ghostly silence at precisely 8:00 PM when all went to bed. Now I am not young but I am not dead so in the empty nightclub with rock music blasting and no witnesses, we began to do the funniest pole dance you can even imagine in tag team unsexy fashion until our laughter brought another lost soul through to see what the hell was disturbing the quiet! I have often wondered if they turned on the video and if we are now plastered on Youtube as the nutcase couple on an empty ship. ;)

See? I always knew we were kindred Spirits! Now every one knows why. They wonder why I have this pole in my Rec. Room. Many think it is to hold the house up. One in the garage,too.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
One of my favorite jokes, MaryAnne. 'Fort' is my comical spelling (and pronunciation) for 'forte'.

I stole that from Dan Dierdorf, who used it on a Monday night football game once, and cracked up his co-announcers.
Ha!

Fort is the formerly correct pronunciation. It's from the Old French word "fort".

Usage Note: The word forte, coming from French fort, should properly be pronounced with one syllable, like the English word fort. Common usage, however, prefers the two-syllable pronunciation, (fôraimg.tfd.com_hm_GIF_prime.giftaimg.tfd.com_hm_GIF_amacr.gifaimg.tfd.com_hm_GIF_lprime.gif), which has been influenced possibly by the music term forte borrowed from Italian. In a recent survey a strong majority of the Usage Panel, 74 percent, preferred the two-syllable pronunciation. The result is a delicate situation; speakers who are aware of the origin of the word may wish to continue to pronounce it as one syllable but at an increasing risk of puzzling their listeners.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forte

Ha!

Fort is the formerly correct pronunciation. It's from the Old French word "fort".

Usage Note: The word forte, coming from French fort, should properly be pronounced with one syllable, like the English word fort. Common usage, however, prefers the two-syllable pronunciation, (fôraimg.tfd.com_hm_GIF_prime.giftaimg.tfd.com_hm_GIF_amacr.gifaimg.tfd.com_hm_GIF_lprime.gif), which has been influenced possibly by the music term forte borrowed from Italian. In a recent survey a strong majority of the Usage Panel, 74 percent, preferred the two-syllable pronunciation. The result is a delicate situation; speakers who are aware of the origin of the word may wish to continue to pronounce it as one syllable but at an increasing risk of puzzling their listeners.

When I say "French is not my fort", I don't think my listeners are puzzled, because I am usually giggling when I say it.

fairsheet

Senator
Ha!

Yeah.....I always thought that at least as a general rule, the last letter in a French word is silent.

On that note.....how in the HELL did Favre turn into "Farv"?