• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

I'm feelin' mighty low..

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday's debate was not only uncomfortable, but really distasteful. Candidates, moderators..all contributed to one hell of an embarrassment.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
it could be worse................flooding is destroying Southeast NC and probably more of these folks helping businesses clean up

upload_2016-10-10_20-45-40.pngYo, for school clothes

connieb

Senator
Yesterday's debate was not only uncomfortable, but really distasteful. Candidates, moderators..all contributed to one hell of an embarrassment.
Yes. Pathetic. Honestly, I think Trump would have been better served by simply saying, "Hillary, I understand that you want to take the campaign that way - to avoid talking about your dismal record. And, we can compare who is the bigger defiler of women, me, or your husband, or even you, for dismissing the myriad of claims against him and attempting to smear the women making the accusations. But, really, I don't think the American people want to talk about who I think is attractive and who your husband has sexually assaulted. So, please.. do us all a favor and climb out of the gutter, and focus on the issues. "

MrMike

Bless you all
Yes. Pathetic. Honestly, I think Trump would have been better served by simply saying, "Hillary, I understand that you want to take the campaign that way - to avoid talking about your dismal record. And, we can compare who is the bigger defiler of women, me, or your husband, or even you, for dismissing the myriad of claims against him and attempting to smear the women making the accusations. But, really, I don't think the American people want to talk about who I think is attractive and who your husband has sexually assaulted. So, please.. do us all a favor and climb out of the gutter, and focus on the issues. "
Problem is the American people do want to know. Character and integrity in our leadership was supposed to matter back in the day. These days not so much. Maybe it never did and we just fooled ourselves? I dunno...but we sure have sunk low though.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Problem is the American people do want to know. Character and integrity in our leadership was supposed to matter back in the day. These days not so much. Maybe it never did and we just fooled ourselves? I dunno...but we sure have sunk low though.
low. real low.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
It's really the people and the media to blame.

They've plastered and trumpeted this human interest, non-policy story about a leaked video for days and days as front page news, all conjoined, arm-in-arm, like a solid foundation to attack Trump.

The truth is, while the left suddenly chooses to become offended by filthy language, some of the greatest leaders in America had foul language and said awful things, and yet their policy didn't reflect any of it. Truman, Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton are all well-known to have said horrible things about people. This is nothing new.

However, you wouldn't think that given the orchestrated reaction by the mainstream media.

Thus, the media pumped this thing full of tension, clearly.

However, I can't stop snoring through it. The moment Donald proposes policy that devalues women and makes it legal to grope them, let me know.

Until then, this ridiculous hysteria should be labeled as such.

connieb

Senator
Didn't everyone know Trump's character before this? I vividly remember the tabloid fodder his first divorce was, and I was just a kid. he was a womanizing pig 30 years ago, and nothing has changed.. that was never up for debate.

I think people who posses that charisma necessary to be a good leader, have also often been very very flawed people, PARTICULARLY when it comes to sexual exploits. I think that unfortunately, it goes hand and hand. The power is an aphrodisiac to the women around that men, and to the man himself. Besides, what character and integrity of these leaders of old? FDR hid the nature of his disability from the people, going so far as to have an elaborate ruse in the only places he would go to give speeches, JKF fvcked anything that moved and had a pill addiction. Washington and Jefferson fvcked their slaves. We make people out to be better than they are - all the time.

The thing is - you can be a total pig in your personal life, and still ACTUALLY be a good decision maker, or a good leader, or be able to accomplish things.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Didn't everyone know Trump's character before this? I vividly remember the tabloid fodder his first divorce was, and I was just a kid. he was a womanizing pig 30 years ago, and nothing has changed.. that was never up for debate.

I think people who posses that charisma necessary to be a good leader, have also often been very very flawed people, PARTICULARLY when it comes to sexual exploits. I think that unfortunately, it goes hand and hand. The power is an aphrodisiac to the women around that men, and to the man himself. Besides, what character and integrity of these leaders of old? FDR hid the nature of his disability from the people, going so far as to have an elaborate ruse in the only places he would go to give speeches, JKF fvcked anything that moved and had a pill addiction. Washington and Jefferson fvcked their slaves. We make people out to be better than they are - all the time.

The thing is - you can be a total pig in your personal life, and still ACTUALLY be a good decision maker, or a good leader, or be able to accomplish things.
Well, remember.

Trump WAS a Democrat in 2005.

Hell, he was probably regularly talking to Bill about it.

;)

RickWA

Snagglesooth

Good folks need to sack up and acknowledge that BOTH Trump and Clinton are completely UNSUITABLE for office.

Our problem is that partisans will suck up whether the home team offers -- every bloody year.

Of course Hillary Clinton is a remarkably corrupt, criminal candidate. Definitely Trump is a self-absorbed opportunist megalomaniacal lunatic. Our moron population always decides to elect one of the two big party maggots.

As Lukey would say, "Enjoy the decline".

connieb

Senator
Good folks need to sack up and acknowledge that BOTH Trump and Clinton are completely UNSUITABLE for office.

Our problem is that partisans will suck up whether the home team offers -- every bloody year.

Of course Hillary Clinton is a remarkably corrupt, criminal candidate. Definitely Trump is a self-absorbed opportunist megalomaniacal lunatic. Our moron population always decides to elect one of the two big party maggots.

As Lukey would say, "Enjoy the decline".
They are both unsuited for office. But, to that end, I think that the 4 that are running all are as well. I lean pretty libertarian, but I can't vote for a pothead. And, actually think that is more disqualifying than saying piggish things to get laughs out of Howard Stern or Billy Bush.
It is really a shame the Libertarians had their own clown car and couldn't come up with someone better than Johnson. This could have been the year to really get on the map.

connie

RickWA

Snagglesooth
They are both unsuited for office. But, to that end, I think that the 4 that are running all are as well. I lean pretty libertarian, but I can't vote for a pothead. And, actually think that is more disqualifying than saying piggish things to get laughs out of Howard Stern or Billy Bush.
It is really a shame the Libertarians had their own clown car and couldn't come up with someone better than Johnson. This could have been the year to really get on the map.

connie
As far as I'm concerned, they are ALL "potheads". You think any of them don't suck up weed? Hillary is clearly a lifelong hippie. Trump could hardly be more self-indulgent. Gary and Jill are doubtless tokemeisters.

Our pols are shame-factories.

I just can't vote GOP or Democrat.

Wahbooz

Governor
As far as I'm concerned, they are ALL "potheads". You think any of them don't suck up weed? Hillary is clearly a lifelong hippie. Trump could hardly be more self-indulgent. Gary and Jill are doubtless tokemeisters.

Our pols are shame-factories.

I just can't vote GOP or Democrat.
Gary makes a business of his pot though, legally.

Boltlady

Mayor

Don't forget that FDR had a mistress too.

If you go back a few more years some of the most powerful leaders in history had harems. Maybe it's the extra testosterone.

Don't forget that FDR had a mistress too.

If you go back a few more years some of the most powerful leaders in history had harems. Maybe it's the extra testosterone.
The Americans and British are so bloody puritanical - can you imagine the French or the Italians giving a damn about who was sleeping with whom? The French wouldn't even bother talking about it.

Honestly, outside some forms of perversion, is it not better that any in a high power jobs are emotionally and or sexually satisfied than that their sexuality should come out in other ways = ie aggression.

W

Wolfert Webber

It's really the people and the media to blame.

They've plastered and trumpeted this human interest, non-policy story about a leaked video for days and days as front page news, all conjoined, arm-in-arm, like a solid foundation to attack Trump.

The truth is, while the left suddenly chooses to become offended by filthy language, some of the greatest leaders in America had foul language and said awful things, and yet their policy didn't reflect any of it. Truman, Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton are all well-known to have said horrible things about people. This is nothing new.

However, you wouldn't think that given the orchestrated reaction by the mainstream media.

Thus, the media pumped this thing full of tension, clearly.

However, I can't stop snoring through it. The moment Donald proposes policy that devalues women and makes it legal to grope them, let me know.

Until then, this ridiculous hysteria should be labeled as such.
We created a republic, and a successful republic needs an educated electorate.

We do not have an educated electorate and the republic is doomed to failure.

The Obamas and Clintons are prime examples of the failure of the electorate to do its job.

Progressive education created this climate.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I think in this era of instant internet, instant news..etc..there's little hiding of anything. I would hazard a guess that if we had same back in the day..many characters of integrity would be viewed less so..

Arkady

President
My take on it was a bit different. Yes, Trump behavior was deeply shameful. That this nation is capable of making such a monster the nominee of one of the major parties for our presidency is a national embarrassment, the stink of which will pass down through the generations. But Clinton represents a ray of hope there. Despite every attempt Trump made to use vile personal attacks and physical intimidation to try to bait her down to his level, she couldn't be flustered. She delivered smart policy discussion in a poised and dignified manner. Just as Trump reflects the dark side of the American soul that's always been there, Clinton represents the national resilience that has, to this point, never fully given into those baser attributes. We've had our share of terrible demagogues in our history, including Joseph McCarthy, Bull Connor, George Wallace, Father Charles Coughlin, Strom Thurmond, Barry Goldwater, David Duke, etc. But, while we've had a dark history of such figures popping up over and over again and getting considerable traction, we haven't gone the road of Italy, Germany, Spain, and so many other nations that flirted a bit too seriously with their darker natures and were consumed by them. Always in the past, the better angels of our natures pulled us back from the brink.

For example, during the dark depths of the McCarthy era, there was a woman named Margaret Chase Smith, who'd originally risen to political prominence on the heels of her husband, who'd had the same seat. But she gradually grew to be a formidable political figure in her own right. With the rest of the Congress too intimidated by McCarthy's bluster to speak up, Smith was the first to find the courage to do so, with an eloquent and dignified speech called a "Declaration of Conscience" in which she called out the thuggish behavior of HUAC. She characterized the approach being taken by the Republican leadership as "the four horsemen of calumny: fear, ignorance, bigotry, and smear." Six other senators from liberal states signed off on the speech as well, and although it didn't end McCarthyism overnight, it started the process of the nation coming to its senses.

Today we have another woman, a former Senator who originally rose to prominence on the heels of her husband, who has found her voice. Like Smith before her, she is facing off a demagogue who traffics in fear, ignorance, bigotry, and smear. Like Smith, she has support from liberal-state leaders. Has it again started the process of the nation coming to its senses?

Always before in history, when a monster like Trump oozed out of the diseased parts of the national id, there have been good people like Clinton there to fight back. And, unlike in other major nations, always before in our history the good people won. I'm hopeful that will play out again this year.

Last edited:

Arkady

President
It's like you're operating on some other plane of existence from the rest of us. Clinton would be happy to discuss policies. Trump is the one who is desperately trying to pull this race down into the gutter with him. He's the one who invited reporters to what he promised was debate-prep, only to turn it into a PR event with a bunch of people gossiping about Clinton's spouse. Trump is the one who invited people who'd accused her spouse sexual improprieties to the debate, and had them sit in the front row, in a failed attempt to rattle Clinton.

This isn't an accident. Trump knows that if the debates are about policy questions, the combination of his ignorance, the incoherence of his positions, and his inability to formulate a complex thought to save his life will mean a Clinton blowout. He knows, however, that if this is a sewer fight, then he's on his home turf. He's a reality TV star who has spent many decades as a figure in the low media. He's a veteran of countless Access Hollywood and Howard Stern vulgarity festivals. If he can lure Clinton onto his home field, he has a fighting chance. Fortunately for the nation, she's too smart and dignified to take the bait.

Arkady

President
They've plastered and trumpeted this human interest, non-policy story about a leaked video for days and days as front page news
A major political figure was caught on tape bragging about sexually assaulting women. If you don't think that's front -page news, you've really lost your way. We're not talking about mere rumors, like those that have spent so much time on the front page against Hillary Clinton's husband (as if he were running for office). We're talking about something we know Trump actually did, and something that dovetails with accusations that have made against him in legal cases. I get that right-wingers wish that news didn't exist, but it's very clearly a huge story, and right-wingers would get that if the shoe were on the other foot. If it were Hillary Clinton on tape bragging about grabbing people's genitals without permission, right-wingers would be apoplectic.

The truth is, while the left suddenly chooses to become offended by filthy language
Stay on topic. This isn't about being offended by filthy language. If all that had happened is some politician got caught on a hot mic using dirty words, it would have made hardly a ripple. Remember when GW Bush called a NYT reporter a "major league [Unwelcome language removed]"? Maybe. Maybe not, because it simply wasn't a big story. Such crap happens all the time. Cheney was caught telling a fellow politician to go [Unwelcome language removed] himself, Biden called the passage of Obamacare a big [Unwelcome language removed] deal, etc. These things get a few chuckles, but other than a little fake pearl-clutching by the fringes, it never leaves any political damage, and it certainly never dominates the news cycle. What Trump did was different. He's a man who has been sued for sexually assaulting women, and he was caught bragging on tape that when you are famous you can get away with anything, including grabbing women's pussies. Bragging about sexual assault is bad enough, but when you've been formally accused of doing exactly that in real life, it looks even worse.