• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

In your opinion,

NightSwimmer

Senator
is inversion a good and ethical business practice that should be encouraged by our government?

Pfizer Pharmaceuticals desires to merge with AstraZeneca in order to avoid paying corporate taxes to the United States government.

They would still operate within the US and they would still profit from our infrastructure and economy. They would simply have exempted themselves from paying corporate taxes.

Fair enough?

NightSwimmer

Senator
No, it's not right but that's what we have to deal with right now. I think a better question is why isn't Congress addressing this?

Well, yes... That's why the first sentence of my post asks whether PJ readers believe that our government should be promoting such behavior.

ElGringo

Mayor
Well, yes... That's why the first sentence of my post asks whether PJ readers believe that our government should be promoting such behavior.
I think the government is passive right now, I wish they would become active and nip this shit in the bud before it can take root.

connieb

Senator
No, it is not a good business practice and an obvious loophole. I disagree with the characterization of the taxing of revue based on where it is earned - as a loophole though. There is nothing strange or unique about that.

Of course such practices leave the company open to being able to strategize to recognize the allocations between,. The problem is they are far more sophisticated than those who investigate them or will potentially audit them. The thing is - it takes teams of CPA auditors just to produce the audited financial statement. And, that by standards is not anywhere near as through an audit as you would have to perform to find any tax compliance issues. It would easily cost a million dollars to audit Pfizer's USA operations and determine if they allocated USA revenues and expenses correctly. The IRS tends not not invest those kinds of resources though and are known to go for the low hanging fruit instead.

Theoretically though, if you were actually doing it honestly, taxing revenues based on where you earn the oney and not where you are incorporated, is actually the most fair taxation standards. The lack of honesty though, certainly complicates that.

I am curious about one thing though... the US doesn't restrict the amount fo R&D recoverable from the cost of prescriptions. Many other countries do - thus why the same drug is available in Canada for less. So, if Pfizer inverts to a foreign company - will it then be held to that country's law on the recoverable R&D - or is it based simply on where the sale is made? I am guessing it is based on where the sale is made.

So, IF they invert - can we essentially get them back by writing a law saying the R&D associated with prescription drugs manufactured by a company which is part of a control group who is incorporated in a foreign country - is capped, but leave open the no cap on whole owned and incorporated US companies?

That way we could promote competition here - while giving our US companies a price preference. AND - we can perhaps save the equivalent in tax dollars we loose through this inversion - by the savings on the cost of the prescrption drugs paid for through various Gov't insurance and Gov't health care plans. I would be curious to see the data on that and if we could actually make out better under such a scenario.

connie

fairsheet

Senator
is inversion a good and ethical business practice that should be encouraged by our government?

Pfizer Pharmaceuticals desires to merge with AstraZeneca in order to avoid paying corporate taxes to the United States government.

They would still operate within the US and they would still profit from our infrastructure and economy. They would simply have exempted themselves from paying corporate taxes.

Fair enough?
Stanley Tool tried pulling this one some time back and ended up having to back down. It had to do with Stanley being so close to invidual consumers and their having lots of alternative choices. Pfizer might be able to get away with it because their market isn't necessarily in a position to request or demand alternatives.

Maybe the Brits will block it though. They should. Evidently AstraZenica represents some 6,000 very good jobs in Britain. Pfizer has made not commitment whatsoever, to saving a damned one of those jobs.