• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is access to water a human right?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

connieb

Senator
Quite simply. No. We can simply not have a right to anything that is provided via someone else's labor. Now. We do have the right to direct someone to not contaminate water we rely on. We have a right to not bar someone from accessing an open space available source of water. But, we do not have the right to demand that clean water be provided to us on demand.

connie

Hmmmm

Mayor
No.

But, a society as advanced as the U.S. should provide something as basic as clean drinking water for those that can't afford it. "Can't" being subjective.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
No.

But, a society as advanced as the U.S. should provide something as basic as clean drinking water for those that can't afford it. "Can't" being subjective.
so, is extened provision, absent remuneration to be construed as basic provision? to what point should this provision continue?

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Yes..I hate to see anyone deprived of water, hard to manage/live without it.
I gave some poster a like early this week on a post, re this subject. Later I regretted it to a certain extent. There can be many reasons why some can't pay their water bills... Some are very legitimate reasons, illness, unemployed, disabled, etc.

Not sure but I thought I read.. some thought they were being charged too much for water usage. I could be mistaken.

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
It's your right as long as you can pay for it. If I don't pay my water bill my water will be shut off.

In the context of the recently highlighted issues in Detroit (that is, the water departments shut off of delinquent customers...)

Is access to water a right?

http://enewspf.com/latest-news/latest-national/latest-national-news/56169-from-dublin-to-detroit-water-is-a-human-right.html

Is access to clean water a right?

Who cleans the water? and is so doing, are they entitled to compensation for the service they provide?
One of my parish priests growing up had a sermon that asserted that a starving person was not committing a sin if they stole food. I would say the same for water.

I suppose a thirsty person could collect rainwater, or carry water from the nearest public waterway if they had to but then they'd be susceptible to diseases ala third world countries.

Is that what we've come to?

Who cleans the water? Generally municipalities are responsible for providing water / waster water services, but sometimes private companies have taken over that function. Cleaning the water to make it potable is fairly inexpensive; maintaining the delivery infrastructure is what's expensive.

BobbyT

Governor
In the context of the recently highlighted issues in Detroit (that is, the water departments shut off of delinquent customers...)

http://enewspf.com/latest-news/latest-national/latest-national-news/56169-from-dublin-to-detroit-water-is-a-human-right.html

Who cleans the water? and is so doing, are they entitled to compensation for the service they provide?
Yes. Without water, people die. Even children. Do we want to be a country that allows children to die of thirst? According to the Declaration of Independence, Life is one of those inalienable rights.

Bugsy McGurk

President

Isn't there a right to life?

Or does that apply only to fetuses?

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
One of my parish priests growing up had a sermon that asserted that a starving person was not committing a sin if they stole food. I would say the same for water.

I suppose a thirsty person could collect rainwater, or carry water from the nearest public waterway if they had to but then they'd be susceptible to diseases ala third world countries.

Who cleans the water? Generally municipalities are responsible for providing water / waster water services, but sometimes private companies have taken over that function. Cleaning the water to make it potable is fairly inexpensive; maintaining the delivery infrastructure is what's expensive.
I know that my water company can turn off the water for non-payment--EXCEPT if there are children in the home (not sure about elderly). Is that the case in Detroit? Seriously asking, I haven't read that much about this.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Without water, people die. Even children. Do we want to be a country that allows children to die of thirst? According to the Declaration of Independence, Life is one of those inalienable rights.
how would they die of thirst?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

we act as though there is no alternative. they sit in a parched desert? no. food, beverage... fruits, bottled water, soda, milk, vegetables, etc and etc..

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
You asked if water were a human right. I said yes. I further said you die without water. Even children. Children will die of thirst without water.

they will, as would anyone without water. who is depriving children of water?

afella

Mayor
Isn't there a right to life?

Or does that apply only to fetuses?
It depends on who has to pay for it, you know the conservative motto it's all about the $$$$. If the money isn't there, abortion, there is no right. If there is enough money to be had, through basic necessity, then there is a right but limited to those who can pay, it is a strictly for profit business.