• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is California trying to drive out all business?

ElGringo

Mayor
Maybe I read the story the wrong way? They're really trying to retroactively tax people who were obeying the law as it was written at the time? I didn't know you could do that.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Without government, there is no law; and without the law, there would be no rules for business and commerce to exist. Business does not operate in a vacuum; but only within the structure of organized society. You can't have one without the other.
View attachment 23114
Too much government has the uncanny ability to stifle and kill business and commerce.

You can have one without TOO MUCH of the other.

connieb

Senator
If so, it's doing a pretty good job.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/08/19/california-wants-small-business-owners-to-pay-back-120-million-in-tax-breaks/

How long until the only business in California is government?
I can not believe that this is legal... So it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court. Unfortunately, most of the business hit with it won't be around to see the end of the case years from now because they will probably get their credit ruined by tax liens filed on taxes they didn't legally owe, and collection attempts which will likely include things like seizing assets and bank accounts....

connie

Corruptbuddha

Governor
I can not believe that this is legal... So it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court. Unfortunately, most of the business hit with it won't be around to see the end of the case years from now because they will probably get their credit ruined by tax liens filed on taxes they didn't legally owe, and collection attempts which will likely include things like seizing assets and bank accounts....

connie
The FTB is as much a group of storm troopers as the IRS ever was. They will RUIN you if they can.

connieb

Senator
The FTB is as much a group of storm troopers as the IRS ever was. They will RUIN you if they can.
Yes... we have had the kinder gentler IRS for about a decade now but I expect that to change. Storm Troopers is definitely a good description of most revenue collection agents.

oicu812

"Trust, but Verify"
california is going bust...and this is one of many death spasms...is what they are doing legal?

what difference does it make?
anything is possible in california,,,except prosperity...

justoffal

Senator
Maybe I read the story the wrong way? They're really trying to retroactively tax people who were obeying the law as it was written at the time? I didn't know you could do that.

Here in Massachusetts in a small town North of Boston a Municipal engineer discovered that the water meters used in the town were not reading the flow corretly.
In response to this an audit was done to determine how much revenue was lost over the years. Many homeowners then recieved water bill demands of up to 30K dollars to be paid immediately or action would be taken.

Fortunately a local judge helped them to reach a middle ground that forced the city to take some responsiblity for its own error.

JO

Last edited:

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
California wil be an accelerated model of disaster that will be a fairly accurate forecaster of what will happen to the entire nation in time.

JO
At on point in time California had a vibrant economy now it's heading for the cellar and the spending habits of the State have not changed, the problem is that when, not if, California goes into the crapper completely there's a chance that it will drag others down too. That will be bad.