• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is Liberalism a "Theology" as Santorum says it is?

A Theology is a belief system in an entity superior to the individual human being, be it in a god or some other power.

Since Liberals believe in government, the good of the collective and wealth redistribution, it can accurately be depicted as a type of belief system or theology.

Therefore I propose that the dictionary contain the following additional definition of Neo- Liberalism or Progressivism.

Liberalism (Progressivism): A collective belief or theology who's main Sacrament is Abortion.

OldGaffer

Governor
Nope, many Liberals are Christians, in fact one of your Wingers went into a Unitarian Church in Knoxville and murdered several.

Pogue Mahone

Legalize it.
Leftism is their religion and government funded scientific studies(which almost always come to the conclusion that more government is needed) are their scriptures.

And just to parry the usual leftist retort, I do believe in the physical reality that science attempts to explain and describe, however I also believe that the scientific method is corruptible, especially when it is mixed with politics. In some cultures a scripture or religious edict is used to justify a new law, and therefore religious leaders have an incentive to make sure those scriptures and edicts support their agenda. In secular western culture government funded scientific studies serve the same purpose and share the same motivation for manipulation.

There is a spiritual reality in the universe and there is a physical reality. In order to explain either, we have to put them through a human filter, and that is where they get distorted by ideology and agenda.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
Leftism is their religion and government funded scientific studies(which almost always come to the conclusion that more government is needed) are their scriptures.

And just to parry the usual leftist retort, I do believe in the physical reality that science attempts to explain and describe, however I also believe that the scientific method is corruptible, especially when it is mixed with politics. In some cultures a scripture or religious edict is used to justify a new law, and therefore religious leaders have an incentive to make sure those scriptures and edicts support their agenda. In secular western culture government funded scientific studies serve the same purpose and share the same motivation for manipulation.

There is a spiritual reality in the universe and there is a physical reality. In order to explain either, we have to put them through a human filter, and that is where they get distorted by ideology and agenda.
Is the individual mandate in the new health care law an example of the theology of leftism? What about cap-and-trade?

Pogue Mahone

Legalize it.
The individual mandate is a means to an end, and that end, universal healthcare, could be considered an example of leftist theology, at least when it is presented as a right and not a practical solution. The global warming that cap and trade is supposed to address would be a better example, and also a good example of the curruptibility of the scientific method. Science by consensus, with many of those forming the consensus having a personal and often financial interest in a particular outcome. I think secondhand smoke is another example of corruptibility. Studies on secondhand smoke are used as supposedly incontroversial justification for all sorts of draconian anti-smoking laws. I could make the argument that it is also an example of leftist theology, especially when you tie it in to healthcare, but it is not necessarily so.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
The individual mandate is a means to an end, and that end, universal healthcare, could be considered an example of leftist theology, at least when it is presented as a right and not a practical solution. The global warming that cap and trade is supposed to address would be a better example, and also a good example of the curruptibility of the scientific method. Science by consensus, with many of those forming the consensus having a personal and often financial interest in a particular outcome. I think secondhand smoke is another example of corruptibility. Studies on secondhand smoke are used as supposedly incontroversial justification for all sorts of draconian anti-smoking laws. I could make the argument that it is also an example of leftist theology, especially when you tie it in to healthcare, but it is not necessarily so.
Both the individual mandate and cap-and-trade were originally conservative ideas.

There is also Medicare Part D, a conservative idea.

Would you say that makes conservatives into leftist theologians as well?

Pogue Mahone

Legalize it.
I know, which is why I identified the issues they were intended to address by the left as the examples of leftist theologies, and not the laws themselves. Your "gotcha" was anything but, in this case, since it was anticipated, but at least now I've confirmed that your questions are set up jobs.

Pogue Mahone

Legalize it.
No...he's wrong about that.

Liberalism is a disorder. Leftism is a mental disease.
Liberalism is a misnomer! It used to mean something closer to what we'd call libertarianism today. That's why I stopped using it, and use leftism instead.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
I know, which is why I identified the issues they were intended to address by the left as the examples of leftist theologies, and not the laws themselves. Your "gotcha" was anything but, in this case, since it was anticipated, but at least now I've confirmed that your questions are set up jobs.
Does that mean you concede that conservatives are also leftist theologians?

If you do, at least you will be consistent.

degsme

Council Member
A Theology is a belief system in an entity superior to the individual human being, be it in a god or some other power.
No a theology is a system of beliefs.

Liberalism is a series of pragmatic, empirically verifiable policies.

The two are different.

Since Liberals believe in government, the good of the collective and wealth redistribution, it can accurately be depicted as a type of belief system or theology.

Therefore I propose that the dictionary contain the following additional definition of Neo- Liberalism or Progressivism.

Liberalism (Progressivism): A collective belief or theology who's main Sacrament is Abortion.
What does the word "liberality" mean?

How does Mr. Santorum believe it is meant in the following context when it is suggested what "Liberality" is a cure for?

Humility cures Pride
Kindness cures Envy
Abstinence cures Gluttony
Chastity cures Lust
Patience cures Wrath
Liberality cures Greed
Diligence cures Sloth
-Source

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member

What we see here is typical right wing hypocrisy. The hypocrisy in this case revolves around the meanings of words. How many lines of type have been sent decrying the desire to change the meaning of the word marriage? Millions. But a political/social construct is easily labeled theocracy with no concern whatsoever regarding the meaning of the word.

So...no...liberalism is not a theocracy. Liberalism is not the study of gods. Liberalism is a belief is trying new ideas and being open to new things. So, if one wishes to point to a political ideal and conflate it with theocracy, one would be better served to look at the strident norquistian ideals of never allowing a tax increase....and basing social policy ...and attempting to codify it...on the old testament such as we find in today's Republican party.

Of course...your entire premise is ludicrous...as it requires us to believe that conservatives do not believe in government. And...they most certainly do...Sarge. Otherwise, you're arguing for anarchy.

Seems some others believed in "wealth distribution" too.

From that (click here) which Mr. Santorum and others claim to believe in (or do they?)

Are they "lefty" liberal" "theologians" as defined by Mr. Santorum and his supporters?

NightSwimmer

Senator

Even Santorum had the presence of mind to backtrack on that vocal fart of stupidity -- once he was called on it.

DefeatObama

Council Member
I don't think it's a 'theology' anymore than one could similarly label conservatism.

However liberalism is anathema to the USA's values. Conservatives can be honest about our intentions and relate them plainly. We adhere to the letter and spirit of our constitution and the democratic process. Liberals can't. They promote something for nothing. Talk about what people can get rather what they're responsible to give. They live in a zero sum world where someone has to lose for another to win.

The term 'progressive' , implying progress. Like 2000 page industry sector takeovers that people will read once it's law. Now that's innovation Steve Jobs could appreciate

degsme

Council Member
I know, which is why I identified the issues they were intended to address by the left as the examples of leftist theologies, and not the laws themselves.[/ QUOTE]
No you haven't

you claimed for example

The individual mandate is a means to an end, and that end, universal healthcare, could be considered an example of leftist theology,
There is nothing that is purely "belief based" about universal healthcare.

We have solid empirical evidence that it results in lower costs and longer lifespans (better outcomes).

That's not "theology" for that to be "theology" The Amzaing Randi would have lost his $1 mil a long time ago