• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is Stand your Ground a Christian attitude?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/25/john-walsh-ptsd-plagiarism_n_5622414.html

I don't think that it is. Christ said he was on earth to bring a new covenant between God and Man, and part of this new covenant was that we should turn the other cheek. Does standing your ground seem to be the same as turning your other cheek? I don't think those two ideas are compatible. The article above seems to agree with my idea. What are your thoughts?
So if thugs break in your home your going to turn the other cheek and watch them murder/rape your family_____________
GOD doesn't expect you to be a complete fool.......btw: it's a Survival attitude

I'd rather be tried by 12
than carried by 6

lmao--thugs don't like it when people stand their ground::

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/07/161873-within-seconds-wannabe-thieves-knew-picked-wrong-gas-station-rob/

Last edited:

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
It has nothing to do with religion--just common sense. I don't think Christ wanted his people to be fools.
I have a feeling even Christians wish to stay alive...............why would someone that claims to be a church trustee & Christian even post such a stupid question?

I have a feeling even Christians wish to stay alive...............why would someone that claims to be a church trustee & Christian even post such a stupid question?
Because I am a Christian and a church trustee. I cannot believe that if Christ were here today he would see SYG as something he would agree with and yet so many who call themselves followers of Christ do.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Because I am a Christian and a church trustee. I cannot believe that if Christ were here today he would see SYG as something he would agree with and yet so many who call themselves followers of Christ do.
that's your holy thoughts...........maybe you as a "Christian and a church trustee"......should spend more time at church or visiting your church family and less time here acting as a hypocrite................IMO and surely the opinion of Jesus.

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
I don't think Christ approves of suicides--and that is just what it would be if someone didn't try to protect himself/herself.

gigi

Mayor

One example I heard a priest use to illustrate what "turn the other cheek" means is as follows: Mother Theresa was walking along the street holding the hand of a starving boy. She went into a shop and asked the shopkeeper if he had anything to feed the boy. The shopkeeper spat full on in her face. She didn't budge. She stood her ground and said, "Thank you for that gift for me. Now do you have anything for the boy or not?"

Turn the other cheek is not about giving up and going away, or stopping what you're doing with your life(like taking care of and protecting your children, for example) because someone comes upon you and acts aggressively in an attempt to make you stop and go away-or because someone comes along who wants to play God and end your and/or your family's lives on earth in their time for their own purposes.

On the contrary, turn the other cheek is about continuing to do what's right while you neither run away, which would stop you from continuing to do what's right, or react violently, which not only stops you from doing what's right, but also validates the violent person's actions.

While it's definitely unChristian to use stand your ground as an excuse to act violently when you don't really, truly believe you're in immediate danger, it's not unChristian to protect and defend yourself and your family from someone who comes to do evil.

Dino

Russian Asset
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/25/john-walsh-ptsd-plagiarism_n_5622414.html

I don't think that it is. Christ said he was on earth to bring a new covenant between God and Man, and part of this new covenant was that we should turn the other cheek. Does standing your ground seem to be the same as turning your other cheek? I don't think those two ideas are compatible. The article above seems to agree with my idea. What are your thoughts?
The law is not "Christian" in this case, as is the case witha great many of the world's established laws. Would that only more people applied Christian values to the way they lead their lives, then such laws would be unnecessary.

Caroljo

Senator
Christ didn't try to protect himself, you could say he committed suicide.
Christ came to earth as the last sacrifice....he came to teach & die for the sins of all. Remember when he was in the garden, I believe the night the soldiers would be coming to take him away....he was praying to God for there to be another way. Then, he said "Thine will be done"...in other words, he knew there was no other way and he was going to suffer horribly and would die on the cross. Not anything close to suicide!

Why didn't Jesus turn the other cheek here?

12 Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’[e] but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’[f]”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 21&version=NIV
Or if Jesus was a completely disarmed pacifist preacher why did his apostles have two swords beyond the need to fulfill prophesy?

35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals,;B)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-25902B"> and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+22:35-
If God is the God of turn the other cheek why does he send some of his creation to hell?

Riddle me that Batman?

Why didn't Jesus turn the other cheek here?

Or if Jesus was a completely disarmed pacifist preacher why did his apostles have two swords beyond the need to fulfill prophesy?

If God is the God of turn the other cheek why does he send some of his creation to hell?

Riddle me that Batman?
God doesn't "send" you to hell, you yourself earn your way there as did Lucifur and the angels that followed him.