• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

It is well with my Soul

Jen

Senator
The world is in a precarious place with wars that seem to be constantly looming and changes that are more bad than good. Each of us needs to find our center so that no matter what happens in the world or in our lives, we can say "It is well with my Soul".

I am starting and will be continuing this thread with thoughts that bring us to our center. Join me if you are inclined to do so.

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
The world is in a precarious place with wars that seem to be constantly looming and changes that are more bad than good. Each of us needs to find our center so that no matter what happens in the world or in our lives, we can say "It is well with my Soul"......
I think that is part of the reason why we are here.

Caroljo

Senator
For me, in today's world, it's important to stay close to God and remember he's always there. It's gotten me through a lot of heartache and worries!

Also....prayers work, and it's always given me peace.

Caroljo

Senator
Then I'm sure you know the story behind it.
It's one of my favorites too.
I didn't know the background of it until I JUST looked it up! Wow....
Here it is in case someone else hadn't heard.....

This hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford's life. The first was the 1871 Great Chicago Fire, which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago that was extensively damaged by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873, at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone …". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul

Jen

Senator
I didn't know the background of it until I JUST looked it up! Wow....
Here it is in case someone else hadn't heard.....

This hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford's life. The first was the 1871 Great Chicago Fire, which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago that was extensively damaged by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873, at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone …". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul
Thank you, Caroljo.
As you see, the hymn was written from very real and devastating events. That gives the words even more meaning, doesn't it.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Then I'm sure you know the story behind it.
It's one of my favorites too.
Same as CJ, my knowledge of the song's orgin/background was an absolute zero. All I knew was, it was a very old hymn with a wonderful, inspirational message. It's a favorite hymn of many Christians... it must impact many listeners to have endured such a time span.

Jen

Senator
Same as CJ, my knowledge of the song's orgin/background was an absolute zero. All I knew was, it was a very old hymn with a wonderful, inspirational message. It's a favorite hymn of many Christians... it must impact many listeners to have endured such a time span.
Then I"m glad CJ posted the story.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Further reading indicates their work is still being carried on...

The American Colonists were embraced by the Jewish and Palestinian communities for their good works, among them, teaching in both Muslim and Jewish schools. In contrast to the Protestant missionaries in Jerusalem, they never worked for the conversion of those of other faiths.[3]

The Colony also administered an orphanage to provide refuge for the many children torn from their parents during World War I. The charitable work begun by the Spaffords continues today in the original Colony house abutting the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem. The Spafford Children's Center provides medical treatment and outreach programs for Arab children and their families in Jerusalem.[9][10]

Inner tensions within the American Colony led to the final demise of this utopian Christian community in the 1950s. Since then the second home of the American Colony, outside the city. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Colony,_Jerusalemy's walls, has functioned as a hotel named American Colony Hotel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Colony,_Jerusalem

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
My wife is much more Christian, in the modern conventional American sense, than me. In a recent discussion it turned out she'd never seen the movie (or play) "Godspell" even though she knew the song "Day by Day" (which began the discussion).

We're watching it now courtesy of Netflix DVD (my annual Christmas gift from my wife). It's based on the Gospel of Matthew. The lessons given remain important.

Examples:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/matthew/6-24-compare.html
No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be loyal to the one and have contempt for the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25:31-46&version=ICB
34 “Then the King will say to the good people on his right, ‘Come. My Father has given you his blessing. Come and receive the kingdom God has prepared for you since the world was made. 35 I was hungry, and you gave me food. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was alone and away from home, and you invited me into your house. 36 I was without clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then the good people will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and give you food? When did we see you thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you alone and away from home and invite you into our house? When did we see you without clothes and give you something to wear? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and care for you?’

40 “Then the King will answer, ‘I tell you the truth. Anything you did for any of my people here, you also did for me.’

Fast Eddy

Mayor
Man struggles to understand consciousness, for knowing this is to understand existence. I personally believe we will never really understand it because that is the essence of life.

Life is set up as a struggle with many bad life patterns, the need to control and have power being the worst. We see that played out every day in wars and politics. To succeed in live one needs to reject certain values and fight against them. Even after death, I suspect we will wrestle with such issues, but on a different level.

I look at an afterlife being a continuation of struggle, but with bigger issues.Does man continue to invent and learn and over an eternity come to rival God and be subject to being thrown out of heaven.Eternal life will have choices and consequences. What a journey we have instore.

Reactions: Jen