• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Jobless Rate Falls

MaryAnne

Governor

Bo-4

Senator
Mike Todd was just talking to an expert and tried to get him to say, that was not good.The expert called him on it.

And Mika was giving Joe a hard time this morning on the subject.
Actually, i just caught a snippet where Joe was all over what he called GREAT news for the President!

Lukey

Senator
Actually, i just caught a snippet where Joe was all over what he called GREAT news for the President!
I don't have a TV show so I don't have to hype this news. it is "good" news for the President. But, a) lets see how much ends us being temporary holiday business related and b) lets see if and when the labor force participation rate starts heading back up, before we declare this a "win" for Obamanomics...

GordonGecko

President
Their new spin will be...

"Under Obama it went UP to 10% unemployment!"

(Naturally ignoring where it is NOW and hoping you don't notice. :) )

GordonGecko

President
I don't have a TV show so I don't have to hype this news. it is "good" news for the President. But, a) lets see how much ends us being temporary holiday business related and b) lets see if and when the labor force participation rate starts heading back up, before we declare this a "win" for Obamanomics...
Actually Lukey seems I recall when the Dow would drop from 9500 to 9400, you would rush to declare it a "failure for Obamanomics" almost immediately???? :)

Lukey

Senator
Bingo! I called it!!!

Enamored with the 200,000 number? Don't be - the reason why the market has basically yawned at this BLS data is that as Morgan Stanley's David Greenlaw reports, 42,000 of the 200,000 is basically a seasonal quirk, which will be given back next month, meaning the true adjusted number is 158,000, essentially right on top of the expectation. From David Greenlaw: "some of the strength in this report should be discounted because of an seasonal quirk in the courier category of payrolls (Fed-ex, UPS, etc). Jobs in this sector jumped 42,000 in December, repeating a pattern seen in 2009 and 2010 (see attached figure). We should see a payback in next month's report."

GordonGecko

President
Hows the DJIA reacting to this "great" economic news for the President?
First....am I not correct? While you warn us against to hastedly declaring the fall to 8.5% as a "win for Obamonomics"...

YOU would immediately jump to a declaration of the "failure of Obamonomics" if the Dow would drop a hundred points or so...say, down to a 9900 Dow....and within weeks it was back up over 10,000??? :)

Lukey

Senator
they will take credit for it!
Not so fast there Cotton:

Enamored with the 200,000 number? Don't be - the reason why the market has basically yawned at this BLS data is that as Morgan Stanley's David Greenlaw reports, 42,000 of the 200,000 is basically a seasonal quirk, which will be given back next month, meaning the true adjusted number is 158,000, essentially right on top of the expectation. From David Greenlaw: "some of the strength in this report should be discounted because of an seasonal quirk in the courier category of payrolls (Fed-ex, UPS, etc). Jobs in this sector jumped 42,000 in December, repeating a pattern seen in 2009 and 2010 (see attached figure). We should see a payback in next month's report."

GordonGecko

President
they will take credit for it!
An "Emergency Plan B" scenario for them....the economy really starts cooking going into the Spring?

They credit "The Repubs having the House and stopping Obama's radical agenda!!!!".....or for the truly delusional "Economy is only rebounding because people know that Obama is going to be voted out of office in November!!!!"

:D

Lukey

Senator
First....am I not correct? While you warn us against to hastedly declaring the fall to 8.5% as a "win for Obamonomics"...

YOU would immediately jump to a declaration of the "failure of Obamonomics" if the Dow would drop a hundred points or so...say, down to a 9900 Dow....and within weeks it was back up over 10,000??? :)
You are correct if you predict that I will relentlessly slam every ideologue at either end of the spectrum with the truth each and every time:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/real-jobless-rate-114-realistic-labor-force-participation-rate

Z

zzigzzag

I guess different networks have slightly different versions.

The report I saw showed +325,000 private sector jobs in December offset by government layoffs to come up with the overall figure of +225-265,000. We'll see.

Trends are what matter in an election when one side advocates reversing direction. Advantage Obama....no question about it.

Lukey

Senator