• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Jobs report stuns

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan

This is GREAT NEWS! Now wait for the crap from the right wingers chiming in claiming that this will somehow make lefties sad. With a bit of luck and decent actions by Democratic Governor we may get through this thing with less damage that expected. I'll definitely be checking our portfolio at the end of the day.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
This is GREAT NEWS! Now wait for the crap from the right wingers chiming in claiming that this will somehow make lefties sad. With a bit of luck and decent actions by Democratic Governor we may get through this thing with less damage that expected. I'll definitely be checking our portfolio at the end of the day.
Yes the markets are up too...nearing pre covid numbers

Boca

Governor
Looks like this guy had it right.

Dow up 722 at the moment

May 26, 2020

Former Obama economist Jason Furman has gone on record to declare, “We are about to see the best economic data we’ve seen in the history of this country.”

Furman believes, the current economic drop-off is more like what happens to a thriving economy during and after a natural disaster: a quick and steep decline in economic activity followed by a quick and steep rebound.

Furman noticed data that pointed to the kind of recovery that economists often see after a hurricane or industrywide catastrophe like the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. This would be the data he noticed....

Wouldn't it be something if the Dow recovered to it's historic high before election day?

It's the economy stupid !……...James Carville

Dow update 11:40 AM +948

All time high 29398 Now 27,237

Last edited:

PNWest

Yes the markets are up too...nearing pre covid numbers
PNWest LOVES capitalism. Because the deck is always stacked in favor of the rich and powerful whenever bad times hit there will be a transfer of wealth with vast majority of the benefit going to the wealthy. It's always a good idea to put your money where the wealthy bets.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
PNWest LOVES capitalism. Because the deck is always stacked in favor of the rich and powerful whenever bad times hit there will be a transfer of wealth with vast majority of the benefit going to the wealthy. It's always a good idea to put your money where the wealthy bets.
thats nice. will you buy a jet ski with you govt check like the other poster here who likes jet skis?

PNWest

thats nice. will you buy a jet ski with you govt check like the other poster here who likes jet skis?
No - Never got into that. We bought up here in Central Oregon 8 1/2 years ago at the bottom of the Bush Recession. Our house in 2007 was on the market for twice what we ended up paying for it in Dec 2011. Modest homes were selling for around $150K back then. They were closer to $350K last summer. The smart money back in 2012 was buying up these houses out of foreclosure and renting them back to the same people that defaulted on them. I thought that this was exploitative. We invest in the broad market, American productivity.

As to what we would spend the money on (we don't get a stimulus check) so our gains come from the stock marker going up.... maybe a new car if car sales stay low. You can always get a smoking hot deal on a new car when car sales are low, especially if you are buying a model that will be redesigned the next year. Up here a Subaru Forester is a very good bet. Every other car in central Oregon is either a Subaru or a Prius and we live outside the city so the 4WD makes sense.

I just want the economy to do well. If it does I will be better off than most. If it doesn't I'll still be better than most. At least until mother nature decides that the ride is over for PNWest.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
No - Never got into that. We bought up here in Central Oregon 8 1/2 years ago at the bottom of the Bush Recession. Our house in 2007 was on the market for twice what we ended up paying for it in Dec 2011. Modest homes were selling for around $150K back then. They were closer to $350K last summer. The smart money back in 2012 was buying up these houses out of foreclosure and renting them back to the same people that defaulted on them. I thought that this was exploitative. We invest in the broad market, American productivity.

As to what we would spend the money on (we don't get a stimulus check) so our gains come from the stock marker going up.... maybe a new car if car sales stay low. You can always get a smoking hot deal on a new car when car sales are low, especially if you are buying a model that will be redesigned the next year. Up here a Subaru Forester is a very good bet. Every other car in central Oregon is either a Subaru or a Prius and we live outside the city so the 4WD makes sense.

I just want the economy to do well. If it does I will be better off than most. If it doesn't I'll still be better than most. At least until mother nature decides that the ride is over for PNWest.
i hear ya...play the market. look for the pop every time a pharma opens its mouth on a potential vaccine, etc.. i hit nicely on phase bio a few back...

cant seem to find a good car deal around me.

PNWest

i hear ya...play the market. look for the pop every time a pharma opens its mouth on a potential vaccine, etc.. i hit nicely on phase bio a few back...

cant seem to find a good car deal around me.
I never play the market. We just invest in mutual funds, try a total stock market index fund, total bond market index fund and a world stock market index fund. Mix and match to meet your risk aversion. 3 funds, great coverage, low costs. It ain't rocket science. I've known too many very smart people that lost a lot of money thinking they were smarter than the market.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Shutdown didn't work.
Riots didn't work.

Might need to up the riots. The Minneapolis prosecutor attempting to charge 2nd degree murder on Chauvin might ensure Chauvin is acquitted.. and we'll see more riots at a much larger intensity.

Maybe causing violent unrest is the only card they've got left.

Marcus Aurelius

Governor
Supporting Member
i guess the dow going up is bad too..

watch....
Not to worry, Phil. Trump haters/blamers will love this. Cause, you know, if it's good, it's on Obama still. If it's bad, it's all Trump's fault. Cause, you know...ORANGE MAN BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dow will fall back to coronavirus crash level below 19,000 before new high: CFO survey
Chief financial officers of major corporations around the globe are more likely to believe the Dow Jones Industrial Average will retest its coronavirus crash level, below 19,000, before reaching another stock market record high above 29,000, according to the second quarter 2020 CNBC Global CFO Council Survey.

Only 22% of global CFOs expect the Dow to reach a new record high without first experiencing another major decline, while 51% of CFOs are betting that the Dow is headed back below 19,000. The bleakest outlook comes from CFOs in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region, where only 10% of CFOs believe the Dow is headed for another record. That’s versus 70% of EMEA chief financial officers who see another big drop in U.S. stocks ahead.

So, if we set a new record high, haters will credit Obama.... then if the bottom drops out again as predicted above, THAT will be Trump's fault, not Obama's.

Just watch.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not to worry, Phil. Trump haters/blamers will love this. Cause, you know, if it's good, it's on Obama still. If it's bad, it's all Trump's fault. Cause, you know...ORANGE MAN BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dow will fall back to coronavirus crash level below 19,000 before new high: CFO survey
Chief financial officers of major corporations around the globe are more likely to believe the Dow Jones Industrial Average will retest its coronavirus crash level, below 19,000, before reaching another stock market record high above 29,000, according to the second quarter 2020 CNBC Global CFO Council Survey.

Only 22% of global CFOs expect the Dow to reach a new record high without first experiencing another major decline, while 51% of CFOs are betting that the Dow is headed back below 19,000. The bleakest outlook comes from CFOs in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region, where only 10% of CFOs believe the Dow is headed for another record. That’s versus 70% of EMEA chief financial officers who see another big drop in U.S. stocks ahead.

So, if we set a new record high, haters will credit Obama.... then if the bottom drops out again as predicted above, THAT will be Trump's fault, not Obama's.

Just watch.

so, same old lockstep goose stepping?