• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Judge rules Florida poll tax unconstitutional

Nutty Cortez

Dummy (D) NY
Heck, everybody knew that, but those darn Republicans saw this as a chance to suppress the vote of ex-felons.

Ah Not a Poll Tax.

But Felons paying off their debt to society before being able to register to vote.

Thought I would clean the lying title before anyone else responded.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Ah Not a Poll Tax.

But Felons paying off their debt to society before being able to register to vote.

Just think of all those Florida ex-felons casting a vote (by mail) in November. Who will they vote for, Trump who approved of this Republican poll tax or Biden who believes voting is a right and should be unencumbered?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Ah Not a Poll Tax.

So will they add traffic fines and child support payments to the rules? If you owe any money to any state or local government...you can't vote.

Since that isn't a law in other states...isn't there an equal protection issue here?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
History of the poll tax:

Begun in the 1890s as a legal way to keep African Americans from voting in southern states, poll taxes were essentially a voting fee. Eligible voters were required to pay their poll tax before they could cast a ballot. A “grandfather clause” excused some poor whites from payment if they had an ancestor who voted before the Civil War, but there were no exemptions for African Americans.

In 1964 the Twenty-Fourth amendment prohibited the use of poll taxes for federal elections. Five states enforced payment of poll taxes for state elections until 1966, when the U.S. Supreme Court declared them unconstitutional.