• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Keep the Electoral College

C

Capitalist

So Dole/Perot would have been president based on a popular vote? Now that is funny.

Looks like it is rocket science to dimwits like you guys.

So three guys ran for the House from my district. The democrat got 48% of the vote, the republican got 40% and the Independent got 12%...Who won the seat in the House of Representatives? No EC involved.
Most places would have a run off. So perhaps Colorado should abide by the majority. After all, we’re in a democracy right?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Exactly. And he didn't.
Majority:

NOUN
majorities (plural noun)
  1. the greater number.
Definition of majority (Merriam Webster)
the greater quantity or share

As in..Nostra loses the majority of the debates he enters on PJ.

sear

Mayor
"Not a democracy. Not majority rules." C #158
Thank you for corroborating my position.
"But please, continue to hit yourself with a hammer. It’s entertaining." C #158

- ah -

So you're pretending you're correcting some undisclosed error you fantasize to have perceived ?!

I challenge you or anyone else to precisely and succinctly disclose the details.
Meanwhile I stand firmly by the precise literal meaning of my posted words.
- I didn't call it a democracy. I didn't imply the U.S. is a democracy. I merely stated an irrefutable truism: the candidate that wins the vote wins the vote. I NEVER asserted that the candidate that wins the vote wins the election; perhaps a falsehood which you wish to attribute to me.

- "Majority rules", another term YOU introduced in this accusation, has no direct bearing on my factually valid observation.

You embarrass yourself C #158. You surely present yourself as a hero in your own mind.

I'll try to decrease my instances of correcting you, if you'll reduce your errors.

But I'd be less than candid if I didn't divulge that you look far worse in being corrected for attempting to correct me, and only compounding your own error.

Nostra

Governor
popular vote

|
noun
the vote for aU.S. presidential candidate made by the qualified voters, as opposed to that made by the electoral college.Compare electoral vote

I don't see anywhere in the definition of popular vote that the vote must be for one of the two candidates from the major political parties...............

Board libs only want to count the votes for either a Dem or a Rep. That isn't very democratic, is it?

sear

Mayor
N #166

Webster is ok. AHD® is better, in many cases.

[French majorité, from Medieval Latin mâioritâs, from Latin mâior, greater.]

Usage Note: When majority refers to a particular number of votes, it takes a singular verb: Her majority was five votes. His majority has been growing by 5 percent every year. When it refers to a group of persons or things that are in the majority, it may take either a singular or plural verb, depending on whether the group is considered as a whole or as a set of people considered individually. So we say The majority elects (not elect) the candidate it wants (not they want), since the election is accomplished by the group as a whole; but The majority of the voters live (not lives) in the city, since living in the city is something that each voter does individually. Majority is often preceded by great (but not by greater) in expressing emphatically the sense of "most of": The great majority approved. The phrase greater majority is appropriate only when considering two majorities: He won by a greater majority in this election than in the last.

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I don't see anywhere in the definition of popular vote that the vote must be for one of the two candidates from the major political parties...............

Board libs only want to count the votes for either a Dem or a Rep. That isn't very democratic, is it?
Who said that? You guys continue with your obfuscation of the issue. Did Bill Clinton get more votes than anyone else? If so, he won the popular vote.

EatTheRich

President
How the Electoral College favors Democrats and why Republicans must change it

Specifically, the Republican candidate must nearly run the table on the battleground states in order to squeak into the White House, whereas the Democratic candidate has multiple pathways to victory.

Let me break it down by state and electoral votes.

The Democrat will almost always win the following states: California, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Republicans haven't won New York, Oregon, Washington, or Wisconsin since Ronald Reagan's 1984 landslide win.

They haven’t won California, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania since 1988. Those states are worth 183 electoral votes. Thus, the Democrat likely enters the 2016 election with a base of 242 electoral votes.

The Republican will almost always win Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Those states give the Republican a base of 170 electoral votes.

This electoral vote allocation leaves the Democrat just 28 electoral votes from The White House, while the Republican needs an additional 100 electoral votes to win. There are only 126 electoral votes left among the 11 battleground states.

This assumes Colorado and Virginia really remain toss-up states, which is doubtful. Thus, the Republican must win 79 percent of the remaining electoral votes.

To put a starker gloss on the Republican’s tough predicament, a loss in just Florida ends the race. Period.
The Republicans are welcome to support policies that appeal to the urban majority.

sear

Mayor
ER #171

Not an insensible question. It's the answer that's insensible. It's because they're Republicans.
For you see ER, in the GOP parallel universe, Republicans are not only correct on all political disputes with Democrats. Republicans are also morally superior as well.

Classic example:
Republicans are pro-life.
Democrats are pro-baby murderer.

Now you tell me honestly. Which of those two seems worse to you?

EatTheRich

President
The Electoral College ensures we do not have a monoculture in America—in this case the monoculture of Los Angeles. Regardless of how populated the big cities are they should not determine the course of a country as big and as diverse as ours.

Where are the lib multicultural advocates on this matter? Why are they NOT pushing to preserve the multicultural nature of the Electoral College?

Because they just don’t know what they believe. That’s why.
New York City and Los Angeles have about as much diversity as the entire monoculture privileged by the EC.

sear

Mayor
I've never been to California.

But I was born in New York, New York, the city so nice they named it twice.
I visited there in my youth, learning the cultural diversities of various neighborhoods, Greenwich Village, the upper East Side, etc.

I'm not much of a world traveler. But I know of no more cosmopolitan city than NYC.

Is NYC more conservative than Austin, TX ?

EatTheRich

President
LA as the seat of power doesn’t get to cry oppression. That’s like a lion crying to a mouse about how oppressive the mouse is.
The disproportionate votes of the backward areas of the country empower urban elites (like Trump) who are the common enemy of the urban and rural masses.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
ER #171

Not an insensible question. It's the answer that's insensible. It's because they're Republicans.
For you see ER, in the GOP parallel universe, Republicans are not only correct on all political disputes with Democrats. Republicans are also morally superior as well.

Classic example:
Republicans are pro-life.
Democrats are pro-baby murderer.

Now you tell me honestly. Which of those two seems worse to you?
I saw a documentary on the republican weaponizing of the English language...like when they decided to call inheritance taxes (which had majority support) "Death Taxes" they won the fight....how could anyone support taxing a dead person?

Same with abortion...they are pro-life, democrats are not to be referred to as pro-choice...right?

Bumper sticker politics.

Nostra

Governor
Who said that? You guys continue with your obfuscation of the issue. Did Bill Clinton get more votes than anyone else? If so, he won the popular vote.
Once again you are trying to redefine the definition of "popular vote" to suit your agenda.

Reality proves you wrong. Clinton lost the POPULAR VOTE by over 14 MILLION votes.