• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Lowe's checkout line grinds to halt.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy..Phil here..

Went to the Lowes home improvement this afternoon to buy a couple things.. a hex key set, some Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads (great for scuffs n such), some sanding blocks and a pack of 4in paint rollers..

anyhoo, there I was in the line and the nice person was ringing things up. well, not ringing actually, but boop beeping with the scanner thing and sticking the items in a bag..

anyhoo, they got to the 10 pack of butterfly bolts...did I mention butterfly bolts..and, well, the scanner thing stopped working.. well, you woulda thought the earth just ground to a halt.

Well, actually, it did, at least for Phil and the couple folk behind him. Cause this nice person didnt know what the hell to do.

Calls the manager over, and the manager says, well just type in the UPC number and the price..

Conniption fit.. 'I'm not trained' this n that and 'that'll take all day' this n that.. a few expletives too.. carrying on all over the place.

I stood thinking to myself...damn, that's too bad.

oh, yeah, the point.. this episode took maybe 7 minutes to resolve. Read the UPC, enter the UPC, read the next, enter the next, all the while cussing and carrying on.

Made me think about the education system. It failed this person. and social decorum. that failed too. I mean really, freaking out over manual keying.. aaah, I don't know. Can't be going far this person. And there's a lot of this type of person around these days. Dumber and dumber.

Last edited:

Caroljo

Senator
I've seen this too! A new kid at the grocery store. I went through his lane one time, he had to give me .47 in change. I think my jaw dropped when he struggled to count that change! Then another time (same kid), completely screwed something up. I gave him $50 in cash....and he somehow froze the entire machine up and couldn't get it to come up with the change owed. He had 2 people there trying to figure out what he did. We finally had to go to the courtesy desk to re-run our groceries. I think he owed me $4.56 (real hard to figure out). If the machine doesn't spell out the exact amount in change, they have no idea what to do!

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
This person wanted nothing to do with keying anything. The act of turning an item around to find the barcode and then have to read and type numbers seemed an imposition. And we're talking an adult here.

Caroljo

Senator
Some people just have to complain about everything. How dare they have to do their job! This same kid another time owed me 3 cents change. He handed me my receipt and said 'thank you'.....now, it was only 3 cents & I really didn't care, but I reminded him he had change to give back. Just 'because'......needless to say, I won't go in his lane anymore. Lol!

I've seen this too! A new kid at the grocery store. I went through his lane one time, he had to give me .47 in change. I think my jaw dropped when he struggled to count that change! Then another time (same kid), completely screwed something up. I gave him $50 in cash....and he somehow froze the entire machine up and couldn't get it to come up with the change owed. He had 2 people there trying to figure out what he did. We finally had to go to the courtesy desk to re-run our groceries. I think he owed me $4.56 (real hard to figure out). If the machine doesn't spell out the exact amount in change, they have no idea what to do!
This happened to me recently at a gas station. I bought $5.53 worth of stuff, gave the cashier a ten dollar bill and three pennies, and she asked me "why did you give me the pennies?". I said, "just key $10.03 into the register and it'll tell you why".