• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Mandatory voting

Jen

Senator
Obama wants it.

I don't like the idea of taking away our choice to vote or not to vote. I have chosen not to vote several times when I didn't like either candidate.

However..........maybe Obama is right.
And if voting is mandatory, that means ID would be necessary for us to show when we vote.

Maybe it's a better idea than I originally thought.
;)

Z

zzigzzag

Obama wants it.

I don't like the idea of taking away our choice to vote or not to vote. I have chosen not to vote several times when I didn't like either candidate.

And if voting is mandatory, that means ID would be necessary for us to show when we vote.

;)
He didn't say that. He said it was worth examining. Libs aren't afraid to think about things and discuss them.

Obama floated the idea of mandatory voting in the U.S. while speaking to a civic group in Cleveland on Wednesday. Asked about the corrosive influence of money in U.S. elections, Obama digressed into the related topic of voting rights and said the U.S. should be making it easier — not harder— for people to vote.

Just ask Australia, where citizens have no choice but to vote, the president said.

"If everybody voted, then it would completely change the political map in this country," Obama said, calling it potentially transformative. Not only that, Obama said, but universal voting would "counteract money more than anything."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-floats-idea-mandatory-voting-us-29735579

Obviously, the party of Kochs is going to take exception.

Jen

Senator
He didn't say that. He said it was worth examining. Libs aren't afraid to think about things and discuss them.

Obama floated the idea of mandatory voting in the U.S. while speaking to a civic group in Cleveland on Wednesday. Asked about the corrosive influence of money in U.S. elections, Obama digressed into the related topic of voting rights and said the U.S. should be making it easier — not harder— for people to vote.

Just ask Australia, where citizens have no choice but to vote, the president said.

"If everybody voted, then it would completely change the political map in this country," Obama said, calling it potentially transformative. Not only that, Obama said, but universal voting would "counteract money more than anything."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-floats-idea-mandatory-voting-us-29735579

And I "floated" two responses.
My first thought that it takes away my freedom of choice.............and my second...........that it takes away Obama's belief that no ID is necessary to vote.

Either way it goes, I will be able to live with it.
Really you wasted a lot of time with this screed nobody read.

gigi

Mayor

Yes, libs can discuss things, and cons, too. That's a bit different than the president saying that mandatory voting is something we should think about.

I like that the author used the word "digressed". It was honest. Mandatory voting wouldnt' change the corrosive influence of money. Candidates with money would put on bigger campaigns. We could end up with some freshman senator with no leadership experience and no proven chops in office just because he put on a billion dollar show to win the gig.
Oh, wait, that happened. Nevermind that part.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Yes, libs can discuss things, and cons, too. That's a bit different than the president saying that mandatory voting is something we should think about.

I like that the author used the word "digressed". It was honest. Mandatory voting wouldnt' change the corrosive influence of money. Candidates with money would put on bigger campaigns. We could end up with some freshman senator with no leadership experience and no proven chops in office just because he put on a billion dollar show to win the gig.
Sheldon Adelson contributed $100 million to get a republican elected. The larger problem is that if his chosen candidate had won...just how much power would Adelson have had?

Obama won with donations that were mostly under $100. Nobody bought him. It isn't how much was spent...what matters is where it came from.

Z

zzigzzag

And I "floated" two responses.
My first thought that it takes away my freedom of choice.............and my second...........that it takes away Obama's belief that no ID is necessary to vote.

Either way it goes, I will be able to live with it.
Really you wasted a lot of time with this screed nobody read.
So, posting a link to your own topic so that people can see what the hell you're talking about is a "screed".

Sorry to interrupt another edited quote "scandal" about nothing by posting the actual dialogue to prove you were making it up....unless you can find the part where Obama said he "wants" mandatory voting.

Do you ever ask yourself why you can't form a sentence about Obama without an intentional distortion in it? (Rhetorical)

The Republican party has become a gathering place for dishonest haters. No sweat. "You didn't build that." Your handlers did.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Obama wants it.

;)

I find this thread fascinating. It begins with a lie, something the top poster insists she does not do. But...as we all can see, she does. It's right there in the first little sentence..."Obama wants it"...

Yet...there is no statement from Obama that he wants it...but a statement that says...maybe it's time to consider it.

In addition, if this always present, and always phony, outrage can be overcome, one sees that it isn't mandatory "voting"...it's mandatory attendance. One can vote for anyone, or no one.

As to ID...many of us on the left have given many possibilities regarding the distribution of individual voter ID. They simply must be at no cost and easily attainable. And still...in person voter fraud isn't a problem. If it is multiple votes that concern you, ink a finger.

4,500 American soldiers died in Iraq and you think that Obama has made mistakes greater than that?
4,000 Americas died taking Death to Iraq --- they took 'the Kings shilling', 'Theirs but to do and die' --- Over one million innocent Iraqis lost their lives, the whole of Iraq lost stability and sovereignty.

Z

zzigzzag

The Koch brothers have pledged almost a $billion to Republicans for the 2016 election. More than pugs can raise on their own from all other sources.

They already own over 2000 state legislators.

The first order of business for the Republican Congress they bought was the Keystone pipeline during a time of record oil production, low gas prices and a shift from the world's biggest importer to an exporter. That was job one with everything else going on in the country.

Their wet dream is to install a college drop-out who will bend to their will as President.

But you're worried about a former President of the Harvard Law Review, state senator and US Senator being under-qualified after six years of cleaning up another Republican disaster as a sitting President.

Haven't you sacrificed enough integrity to the cause yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zzigzzag

4,000 Americas died taking Death to Iraq --- they took 'the Kings shilling', 'Theirs but to do and die' --- Over one million innocent Iraqis lost their lives, the whole of Iraq lost stability and sovereignty.
Democrats agree with you that the Iraq war was the biggest blunder ever made by an American President.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Too funny.

There is truth is there of course...as the right must counter every Obama statement with the opposite belief. Therefore...if Obama wants you to vote...then the right must not vote, 'cuz, you know, Obama said voting was good.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I find this thread fascinating. It begins with a lie, something the top poster insists she does not do. But...as we all can see, she does. It's right there in the first little sentence..."Obama wants it"...

Yet...there is no statement from Obama that he wants it...but a statement that says...maybe it's time to consider it.

In addition, if this always present, and always phony, outrage can be overcome, one sees that it isn't mandatory "voting"...it's mandatory attendance. One can vote for anyone, or no one.

As to ID...many of us on the left have given many possibilities regarding the distribution of individual voter ID. They simply must be at no cost and easily attainable. And still...in person voter fraud isn't a problem. If it is multiple votes that concern you, ink a finger.
If your boy Θ doesn't want it, why speak of it_________________

Seldom do people speak of something they don't want..............

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Too funny.

There is truth is there of course...as the right must counter every Obama statement with the opposite belief. Therefore...if Obama wants you to vote...then the right must not vote, 'cuz, you know, Obama said voting was good.
yeah, it's the reverse psychology we use on children. LOL

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
keep reading of the "over a million Iraqis lost their lives"
but have yet seen proof of that number
give it to me Queen_____________

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
If your boy Θ doesn't want it, why speak of it_________________

Seldom do people speak of something they don't want..............
Actually...discussion among adults covers all ground on various subjects. This is how people determine what they want. They discuss the possibilities and ramifications of the concepts.

I realize that's too high falutin' for you...but that's the way it works...

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
The Koch brothers have pledged almost a $billion to Republicans for the 2016 election.

They already own over 2000 state legislators.

The first order of business for the Republican Congress they bought was the Keystone pipeline during a time of record oil production, low gas prices and a shift from the world's biggest importer to an exporter. That was job one with everything else going on in the country.

Their wet dream is to install a college drop-out who will bend to their will as President.

But you're worried about a former President of the Harvard Law Review, state senator and US Senator being under-qualified after six years of cleaning up another Republican disaster as a sitting President.

Haven't you sacrificed enough integrity to the cause yet?
One
Bad
Ass
Mistake
America

is spelled OBAMA

or as the high school girl that attended school with ya boy
he's a "drug-using-homosexual-foreigner"
the perfect blue liberals dream come true for POTUS