• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Market Talk

Arkady

President
Man, anyone watching the market today? Amazon, which is currently one of only two individual stocks I own, is on a hell of a tear -- up 12.71% over the course of the day! I tend to buy big companies, so this is the first time I've ever had a day like this. The consensus earnings per share forecast had been just 0.01 and actual earnings per share came in at 0.52, which is a 5100% surprise. That left people scrambling.

I'm kicking myself right now. Although I own a bunch of Amazon, I'd planned to buy a little less than $10,000 more of it a month ago, but was having trouble with my new broker doing an electronic transfer from my bank account to fund it (they require me to fill out some physical paperwork, and I've been dragging my feet on getting around to it). So, that money was sitting in cash and didn't get to go for this ride, which would have been worth $1200. You snooze, you lose.

Days

Commentator
Man, anyone watching the market today? Amazon, which is currently one of only two individual stocks I own, is on a hell of a tear -- up 12.71% over the course of the day! I tend to buy big companies, so this is the first time I've ever had a day like this. The consensus earnings per share forecast had been just 0.01 and actual earnings per share came in at 0.52, which is a 5100% surprise. That left people scrambling.

I'm kicking myself right now. Although I own a bunch of Amazon, I'd planned to buy a little less than $10,000 more of it a month ago, but was having trouble with my new broker doing an electronic transfer from my bank account to fund it (they require me to fill out some physical paperwork, and I've been dragging my feet on getting around to it). So, that money was sitting in cash and didn't get to go for this ride, which would have been worth $1200. You snooze, you lose.
enjoy that Trump budget!

Indeed:

Things are likely to get bad, starting this morning with a massive stock devaluation. But the harm will come both to those who turned the gun to our head and pulled the trigger, and to those who fought their hearts out to stop the disaster.
LOL

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
try this... symbol.. PLUG

it's a penny play... but it's been a great dink and dunk play...

Days

Commentator
The Trump budget isn't in place and so would have no role in the surprisingly strong earnings. Obviously.
bull shit, the market is totally Trump's and you know it. If the market was down, you'd be all over it, but since it is up, you pretend it isn't Trump's? disengenuine as ever.

We've been in a Trump bull market for 10 months now.

Bugsy McGurk

President

The Obama era stock market juggernaut continues!

On a more serious note, it's nice that Amazon stock continues to soar, but its takeover of so many industries is troubling. One wonders if our future consists of five mega corporations owning everything in the nation.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
The Obama era stock market juggernaut continues!

On a more serious note, it's nice that Amazon stock continues to soar, but its takeover of so many industries is troubling. One wonders if our future consists of five mega corporations owning everything in the nation.

It does appear we are headed that way. I got my law degree at....Amazon? Sure, why not. They are a bookstore, after all. Study, study, study. Mike Judge had the right idea (many), but maybe the wrong company.

That said, even with the noted issues, I'd still like to see Amazon make Baltimore their HQ2. Windmills? Maybe. An influx of that type would alter Baltimore in many ways, including architecturally. The proposed site really is strong and as it is unbuilt, allows for Bezos to get exactly what he wants in the space.

Bugsy McGurk

President

It does appear we are headed that way. I got my law degree at....Amazon? Sure, why not. They are a bookstore, after all. Study, study, study. Mike Judge had the right idea (many), but maybe the wrong company.

That said, even with the noted issues, I'd still like to see Amazon make Baltimore their HQ2. Windmills? Maybe. An influx of that type would alter Baltimore in many ways, including architecturally. The proposed site really is strong and as it is unbuilt, allows for Bezos to get exactly what he wants in the space.
And on the topic of the rich getting richer, cities and states from around the nation are tripping over each other offering many billions in subsidies to Amazon for siting HQ2 in their jurisdictions. Amazon and Jeff Bezos need the money, don't you know.

It's all part of our "new economy," where the little guy gets squeezed out. To pick but one example, some people used to make a decent living owning independent book stores. Now they're lucky to get a job picking orders at an Amazon "distribution center." The rich get richer, and the income and wealth gaps get ever wider. That is the sentiment that Trump seized upon when forming his rabble and, ironically, Trump/GOP policies will just make it worse.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
And on the topic of the rich getting richer, cities and states from around the nation are tripping over each other offering many billions in subsidies to Amazon for siting HQ2 in their jurisdictions. Amazon and Jeff Bezos need the money, don't you know.

It's all part of our "new economy," where the little guy gets squeezed out. To pick but one example, some people used to make a decent living owning independent book stores. Now they're lucky to get a job picking orders at an Amazon "distribution center." The rich get richer, and the income and wealth gaps get ever wider. That is the sentiment that Trump seized upon when forming his rabble and, ironically, Trump/GOP policies will just make it worse.
nothing to do with the economic influx and tens of thousands of jobs then?

LOL. Do you really think Amazon is going to pick a high-tax, high-crime, corrupt, mini-third world shit hole like Baltimore to locate their HQ? Bezos is a lib, but he's not a stupid lib. He's not going to let his company be destroyed by people who think like you.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member

True, unfortunate, but true...and something that has been coming most of our lifetimes. Consumers demanding consistency wanted Budweiser, all over the country. They wanted McDonalds, all over the country...and they wanted Holiday Inns, all over the country. So, that's what they got.

Another example is ride sharing. Folks act like getting a ride from a stranger is some brand new concept...because they can use an "app" instead of actually making a phone call.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Of course. That's why cities and states seek to "out-lavish" each other when it comes to showering Amazon with subsidies.

But the question is how we got to this place, and whether we should stay there. Countless small businesses have been squeezed out by the likes of Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. And the reality is such that government seeks to provide such companies with an even greater edge through additional subsidies. Where does it stop?

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
And not all would be high tech. In essence, it's a whole new small city and such an influx of high tech workers also requires a sizable amount of service personnel. Restaurants, dry cleaners, janitorial and maintenance workers, all on top of the thousands of construction workers required to build this new city in the 10 years or so.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Of course. That's why cities and states seek to "out-lavish" each other when it comes to showering Amazon with subsidies.

But the question is how we got to this place, and whether we should stay there. Countless small businesses have been squeezed out by the likes of Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. And the reality is such that government seeks to provide such companies with an even greater edge through additional subsidies. Where does it stop?

when we stop it.

seems no one wishes to

Bugsy McGurk

President
True, unfortunate, but true...and something that has been coming most of our lifetimes. Consumers demanding consistency wanted Budweiser, all over the country. They wanted McDonalds, all over the country...and they wanted Holiday Inns, all over the country. So, that's what they got.

Another example is ride sharing. Folks act like getting a ride from a stranger is some brand new concept...because they can use an "app" instead of actually making a phone call.
It's a huge issue that never gets discussed.

There are many factors that have created our ever-growing wealth and income gaps, but this is as significant as any. It has become more and more difficult to operate small businesses, and such businesses used to provide regular folks with nice incomes. Now, most of that money flows to the Amazons and Walmarts of the world, and regular folks pick orders for Amazon and greet customers at Walmart for minimum wages or slightly above.