• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Memorial Day Thanks Thread.... it ain't about sunbathing/vacations

MrMike

Bless you all
As you head out to whatever awaits you the next few days, please take a moment to remember those that made and make our way of life possible

God bless you all...

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Cold Harbor National Cemetery,Virginia - 1/10/2016. It was the first National Cemetery I had been to. I didn't have a good camera and I wasn't a very good photographer. I've gotten a little better since then. I'd like to go back there someday. I was a little short on time when I went there. It's the smallest National Cemetery I have been to and it's out in the country. Peaceful place.

2016-01-11 10.04.01.jpg

2016-01-11 10.04.09.jpg

Caroljo

Senator
Memorial Day is for those who had given their all (lives) for us. No, it's not for sunbathing, picnics, parties...it's to remember what they did for us. It's also not for the active duty, or living veterans (that's Veterans Day), but many forget. Our son & family were stationed in German several years ago. Before coming back to the states, they took a trip to France, mainly to visit Omaha Beach. He said he clearly felt in awe...his grandpa (my husbands father) was with the 82nd Airborne, paratrooper. He was there that day, and came home alive!

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Chattanooga National Cemetery,Tennessee - 6/11/2016. By far,the largest National Cemetery I have been to. There was not a breath of air blowing that morning so I couldn't get a shot of the US flag waving in the breeze. In the second picture,I was standing near the flag at the top of the hill and Lookout Mountain is in the background.

2016-06-11 08.36.00.jpg
2016-06-11 08.52.20.jpg
2016-06-11 08.44.52.jpg
2016-06-11 08.56.27.jpg
2016-06-11 08.45.37.jpg

Days

Commentator
Chattanooga National Cemetery,Tennessee - 6/11/2016. By far,the largest National Cemetery I have been to. There was not a breath of air blowing that morning so I couldn't get a shot of the US flag waving in the breeze. In the second picture,I was standing near the flag at the top of the hill and Lookout Mountain is in the background.

View attachment 36175
View attachment 36176
View attachment 36177
View attachment 36178
View attachment 36179
BD, thanks for these pics. I guess Arlington Ntl Cemetary was the General Lee homestead confiscated by the north and used to bury the dead from both sides of the Civil War... poetic use of the land, not a little bit of irony in that.

Days

Commentator
Memorial Day is for those who had given their all (lives) for us. No, it's not for sunbathing, picnics, parties...it's to remember what they did for us. It's also not for the active duty, or living veterans (that's Veterans Day), but many forget. Our son & family were stationed in German several years ago. Before coming back to the states, they took a trip to France, mainly to visit Omaha Beach. He said he clearly felt in awe...his grandpa (my husbands father) was with the 82nd Airborne, paratrooper. He was there that day, and came home alive!
My wife's uncle, a native American featured on the cover clip to the FNX series (on native Americans) was chosen by General Bradley to serve in a special force Bradley used to punch forward into German lines and open holes for the regular army... so he served on the front line attacking behind enemy lines, all the way from the beaches in France to Berlin.... never talked about it, I managed to get close enough to him to learn of this before he passed from old age. Native Americans have served our armed forces in many ways, because of their special skills. Germany was unable to decode our communications in WWII because they were never coded to begin with, what we did was use native Americans at each end of communiques and they passed on messages in their native tongue, there was no code to break, you either knew their language or you didn't... and the Germans didn't.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member

Days

Commentator
Actually,he came into that property by marriage. His wife,Mary Custis Lee,inherited it from her father.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-arlington-national-cemetery-came-to-be-145147007/
that is mind boggling; so the place belonged to Lee's father-in-law, who was none other than the grandson of George Washington. I never knew that Lee's son was able to retake his inheritance from the federal government, the Supreme Court having ruled in his favor 5-4. Luckily, Custis Lee then sold the estate to the federal government, and so it continues to this day.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
that is mind boggling; so the place belonged to Lee's father-in-law, who was none other than the grandson of George Washington. I never knew that Lee's son was able to retake his inheritance from the federal government, the Supreme Court having ruled in his favor 5-4. Luckily, Custis Lee then sold the estate to the federal government, and so it continues to this day.

Yeah. Quite a story.

Caroljo

Senator
My wife's uncle, a native American featured on the cover clip to the FNX series (on native Americans) was chosen by General Bradley to serve in a special force Bradley used to punch forward into German lines and open holes for the regular army... so he served on the front line attacking behind enemy lines, all the way from the beaches in France to Berlin.... never talked about it, I managed to get close enough to him to learn of this before he passed from old age. Native Americans have served our armed forces in many ways, because of their special skills. Germany was unable to decode our communications in WWII because they were never coded to begin with, what we did was use native Americans at each end of communiques and they passed on messages in their native tongue, there was no code to break, you either knew their language or you didn't... and the Germans didn't.
My father in law NEVER spoke of that day in Normandy. The only way my husband knew was through his mom. But she's passed in 1971.