• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

more guns, more crime

trapdoor

Governor
It looks to me like and attempt by the researchers to find "more crime" even though the overall crime rate has steadily fallen. Laughable.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Wayne LaPierre doesn't want to hear about this study......because the conclusions are a no-brainer..... more guns, more crime.

trapdoor

Governor
Well, there's a lack of brains here, but I'm not certain its in the NRA anywhere. The study has to ignore the fact that effectively every state has some for of concealed carry available today, that this trend had begun BEFORE 1999, and that since it has begun (and in fact going back 30-plus year) crime, and violent crime, have been a falling indicator unaffected by the presence of shall-issue concealed carry laws.

The reason for this is obvious to anyone without an agenda. I don't claim to be without an agenda but the reason violent crime was not increased by individual concealed carry was simple: The people who wanted to carry before the laws allowed it simply broke the law. Criminals already did this as a matter of choice, and the people who wanted to carry concealed, who weren't otherwise criminal, made the decision that they'd rather be "tried by 12 than carried by six." So all the people who carried, after the legitimization of concealed carry, were probably carrying before any such law was passed.

In the mean time, violent crime has steadily fallen, and that hasn't changed one way or another as a result of the law.

UPNYA2

Mayor
that's contrary to what the NRA says. no surprise as the NRA has changed thru the years and is now less concerned about safety and more concerned with supporting the gun industry.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/more-guns-more-crime-stanford-research-undermines-the-nras-favorite-study/

Wow..............this is sad, sweetie, EVEN for YOU.

From YOUR supplied story;

"Donohue and his assistants, Stanford law student Abhay Aneja and Johns Hopkins doctoral student Alexandria Zhang, contend that a more accurate estimate of the effect of RTC laws on violent crime would examine data from 1999-2010,"

That means what to you exactly?

I ask because, to ME, it simply means these guys do not like the findings from a 1997 study and hat the results might be different IF the study was for a time period THEY desire.

You can "contend" all you like, actually proving things is a bit more complicated. Might even be more complicated than simply saying you have one study you like, therefore a previous study is false, know what I mean?

Hey, why not change the years or other criteria for every study that shows something we do not like?

And whats up with THIS sh-t??????;

"When the “confounding influence” of the crack cocaine epidemic is accounted for, the trio found that “[t]he totality of the evidence based on educated judgments about the best statistical models suggests that right-to-carry laws are associated with substantially higher rates” of murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault."

"Educated JUDGEMENTS"?
"Models SUGGESTS"?
"Are ASSOCIATED WITH"?

Not exactly the types of things you dems/libs accept as "evidence" or "proof", not when it involves some crack-head or life long felon anyway. Odd that, huh?

But the actual saddest part of all of this is that so many of you on the left simply refuse to see anything wrong with the fact that any study has to be "invoked often in support of ensuring a personal right to have handguns under the Second Amendment.”

If only everyone's personal rights could be restricted to whatever you dems/libs "feel" is "right" or "fair", HUH?

people would show more respect to your gun views if you admitted that most of the 10,000 gun related deaths each year were . . .

- inner city
- drug related
- gang related
- committed by felons who aren't supposed to have guns anyway

UPNYA2

Mayor
Wayne LaPierre doesn't want to hear about this study......because the conclusions are a no-brainer..... more guns, more crime.

Who would YOU call if you were a victim of a crime, dearheart?

Why them?

Why DO our law enforcement personnel carry guns? Seems to me that would create "more crime", right?

Why do YOU believe that we, as a whole, do not call up some local support group that could pass out hugs whenever we see a crime being committed?

Are there ant OTHER rights that US citizens have and you resent/fear? If you could have your way and restrict the right to arms to whatever YOU "feel" is reasonable, would you then seek to control any other rights for we, "merely mortals", or would granting you this power in just this case satisfy your lust to control everyone?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
people would show more respect to your gun views if you admitted that most of the 10,000 gun related deaths each year were . . .

- inner city
- drug related
- gang related
- committed by felons who aren't supposed to have guns anyway
what about the remaining 20,000 gun-related deaths each year? should I take it that you don't give a shit about those people either?

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
that's contrary to what the NRA says. no surprise as the NRA has changed thru the years and is now less concerned about safety and more concerned with supporting the gun industry.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/more-guns-more-crime-stanford-research-undermines-the-nras-favorite-study/
Ms. Jules,

Why do liberals lie so much?

I mean it took me 5 minutes of research to disprove this. My research show that between 2000 and 2010, the murder rate went up in 15 states (going down in 35), but only one of those states, Ohio, enacted RTC laws during that period. And in most cases, the increase was rather insignificant (0.2%-0.5%).

Yeah, but crime has been going down, down, down. If it ain't guns then the reason is that criminals have be incarcerated. Apparently we imprison more than any other country.

Crime has been going down because the criminals are in jail and when they get out they know people have guns. California will in the next few years bear out the thesis since they are unarmed and letting out many many natural born killers which will shock these Stanford researchers. It won't be pretty.

Arkady

President
Well, there's a lack of brains here, but I'm not certain its in the NRA anywhere. The study has to ignore the fact that effectively every state has some for of concealed carry available today, that this trend had begun BEFORE 1999, and that since it has begun (and in fact going back 30-plus year) crime, and violent crime, have been a falling indicator unaffected by the presence of shall-issue concealed carry laws.

The reason for this is obvious to anyone without an agenda. I don't claim to be without an agenda but the reason violent crime was not increased by individual concealed carry was simple: The people who wanted to carry before the laws allowed it simply broke the law. Criminals already did this as a matter of choice, and the people who wanted to carry concealed, who weren't otherwise criminal, made the decision that they'd rather be "tried by 12 than carried by six." So all the people who carried, after the legitimization of concealed carry, were probably carrying before any such law was passed.

In the mean time, violent crime has steadily fallen, and that hasn't changed one way or another as a result of the law.
Although gun laws have loosened, the share of Americans owning guns has fallen. That's the relevant consideration in testing whether less guns means less crime.

Arkady

President
Yeah, but crime has been going down, down, down. If it ain't guns then the reason is that criminals have be incarcerated. Apparently we imprison more than any other country.

Crime has been going down because the criminals are in jail and when they get out they know people have guns. California will in the next few years bear out the thesis since they are unarmed and letting out many many natural born killers which will shock these Stanford researchers. It won't be pretty.
No. The stats absolutely do not support that. Incarceration rates really started to take off in the early 1980s, as a result of Reagan's war on recreational drug users. If climbing incarceration rates were associated with falling crime, then we'd expect the period between the early 1980s and the mid 1990s to be one of dramatic declines in crime. In fact, most of that period was a time of rapid increases in crime. In 1991, the US hit the highest violent crime rate in its entire history. By comparison, in recent years, incarceration rates have fallen, even as violent crime has declined substantially.

I see no correlation between the two:

No. The stats absolutely do not support that. Incarceration rates really started to take off in the early 1980s, as a result of Reagan's war on recreational drug users. If climbing incarceration rates were associated with falling crime, then we'd expect the period between the early 1980s and the mid 1990s to be one of dramatic declines in crime. In fact, most of that period was a time of rapid increases in crime. In 1991, the US hit the highest violent crime rate in its entire history. By comparison, in recent years, incarceration rates have fallen, even as violent crime has declined substantially.

I see no correlation between the two:

Incarcerations rates go up and crimes go down. They even intersect. If the criminal element is in jail crimes aren't committed. You can't talk your way out of basic facts.

freyasman

Senator
Although gun laws have loosened, the share of Americans owning guns has fallen. That's the relevant consideration in testing whether less guns means less crime.
I don't believe that. I know that several folks have claimed that more guns are being purchased by a smaller number of people, but my experience contradicts that. I simply don't buy that.

Arkady

President
Incarcerations rates go up and crimes go down. They even intersect. If the criminal element is in jail crimes aren't committed. You can't talk your way out of basic facts.
Actually, crimes are committed in jails and prisons all the time. The most recent data I have was for 2002, when 68 prison and jail inmates were murdered. And that doesn't count however many guards and other staff they may have murdered. That's a murder rate of about 3.37 per 100k, plus however many non-prisoners they murdered. But the key consideration isn't just whether those people are committing crimes while in prison, but rather what impact their imprisonment has on crime overall. For example, if you lock up a non-violent drug user and he spends five years around hardened, violent criminals, and he gets out, is he more likely to commit crimes once he's out? And if, by locking him up, you left his son without a father figure and he ran wild on the streets, is he more likely to commit crimes than if his Dad had instead gone into an addiction treatment program and rehab program for a few months? If you look at the data, with incarceration rates and crime rates soaring at the same time, and if you look at the US data versus data in other leading countries (with much lower incarceration rates and much lower serious violent crime rates), it starts to look pretty plausible that our system of mass incarceration was helping to drive our serious problem with criminality, and that the decline in incarceration in recent years may help to get that crime problem under control.

Arkady

President
How do you know? Gun registrations? Surveys? lol.

Last time somebody called and asked I had sold all my guns off.... maybe.
Surveys. You are, of course, free to lie to pollsters. But the same has always been true, so unless there's a reason to think gun owners are more mendacious, as a group, than gun owners of the past, the decline in the percentage of poll respondents who tell pollsters they have a gun in the household is likely to be a result of an actual decline in the number of households with a gun.

freyasman

Senator
Surveys. You are, of course, free to lie to pollsters. But the same has always been true, so unless there's a reason to think gun owners are more mendacious, as a group, than gun owners of the past, the decline in the percentage of poll respondents who tell pollsters they have a gun in the household is likely to be a result of an actual decline in the number of households with a gun.
Dude, very, very, very, few gun owners I know would admit to owning any firearms to some stranger on the phone. I know guys who are long time moderators on message boards for gun owners who still maintain they lost all their guns in a freak boating accident.... we don't trust the people who take the polls. We don't trust the people who take the surveys. We know the people who want this info are liars, or simpletons, and we act accordingly.