• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

More knife stuff

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
I absolutely love some of the new super steels we're seeing in knives these days.
I own a few now with M390 and S30V steel an the stuff is great, Holds an edge forever and is rust resistant.
I purchases an SOG huntspoint S30V boning knife for the kitchen. (Amazon $66.00)
71fVZG-UrBL._SL1500_.jpg
However I didn't quite care for the handle, I've got large hands and the grip just didn't feel stable so...

I decided to put a new set of grips on. I had a piece of Osage Orange wood I'd saved from a tree I cut down, great hardwood with a dense tight grain, the wood has a bit of a yellow cast to it but is easy to work.

After some layout and cutting I ended up with a comfortable new hardwood handle that fits my hand better than the stock grip on a really great knife for my kitchen.

I stained the wood with some Minwax dark oak oil based stain as a finish, it soaked into the wood but left the surface of the wood with enough grain up to give a secure drip. This thing is perfect for dismembering a whole chicken. and the S30V steel hardly ever needs more than a light touch up on a XXF diamond hone to be shaving sharp again.
Here's the end result.

KIMG0048.JPG KIMG0047.JPG

Last edited:

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I absolutely love some of the new super steels we're seeing in knives these days.
I own a few now with M390 and S30V steel an the stuff is great, Holds an edge forever and is rust resistant.
I purchases an SOG huntspoint S30V boning knife for the kitchen. (Amazon $66.00)
View attachment 43994
However I didn't quite care for the handle, I've got large hands and the grip just didn't feel stable so...

I decided to put a new set of grips on. I had a piece of Osage Orange wood I'd saved from a tree I cut down, great hardwood with a dense tight grain, the wood has a bit of a yellow cast to it but is easy to work.

After some layout and cutting I ended up with a comfortable new hardwood handle that fits my hand better than the stock grip on a really great knife for my kitchen.

I stained the wood with some Minwax dark oak oil based stain as a finish, it soaked into the wood but left the surface of the wood with enough grain up to give a secure drip. This thing is perfect for dismembering a whole chicken. and the S30V steel hardly ever needs more than a light touch up on a XXF diamond hone to be shaving sharp again.
Here's the end result.

View attachment 43996 View attachment 43995
So you're using it as a kitchen knife?

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
So you're using it as a kitchen knife?
Yes, it's actually quite handy being the cutting edge of the blade is three inches from point to heel, it's not a paring knife but serves well as a short utility knife. Like I said it sure can dismember a chicken.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's actually quite handy being the cutting edge of the blade is three inches from point to heel, it's not a paring knife but serves well as a short utility knife. Like I said it sure can dismember a chicken.
I was just curious. From the first picture you posted,it doesn't look as if it was intended to be a kitchen knife.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
I was just curious. From the first picture you posted,it doesn't look as if it was intended to be a kitchen knife.
I should add most of today's kitchen knives are in many ways targeted for the ladies, I have big hands, wedding ring size 15, so a knife that's comfortable in a smaller hand isn't good in mine so I look for opportunities to make things better for me, this was one of those lucky finds.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Yeah, everyone is moving away from carbon steel.
Good carbon steel is still great stuff for knives but has fallen out of popularity as nobody wants to bother to take proper care of it, just like good well seasoned cast iron if they can't just toss it into the dishwasher it's no good. In this house knives and cast iron never go in the dishwasher.