• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Move over, Mr. Hankey

fairsheet

Senator
My sister spent some bit of time in India. She said that when they were riding the train, it would periodically stop so people could hop off, run down an alley, and do their bidness.

NightSwimmer

Senator
My sister spent some bit of time in India. She said that when they were riding the train, it would periodically stop so people could hop off, run down an alley, and do their bidness.

I've only ridden a passenger train once. I was a passenger on the final run of the old Hummingbird. When I used the toilet, I was surprised to see that a "flush" amounted to opening a flap in the bottom of the toilet to dump the contents directly onto the train track. I suspect that Amtrak actually uses holding tanks for this purpose.

fairsheet

Senator
I've only ridden a passenger train once. I was a passenger on the final run of the old Hummingbird. When I used the toilet, I was surprised to see that a "flush" amounted to opening a flap in the bottom of the toilet to dump the contents directly onto the train track. I suspect that Amtrak actually uses holding tanks for this purpose.
Different states have different laws. For instance in Oregon, trains aren't allowed to dump on the tracks, but in Washington they are. So..once in awhile when taking the train from Portland to Seattle, the restrooms will be "out of order" until the train crosses the state line.