• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Movies I'd recommend, and other movies, for context ...

redtide

Mayor
I thought Lincoln was excellent, good political film that showed both Lincoln the skilled politician and Lincoln the reluctant revolutionary.

Team of Rivals (the book it’s based on) is excellent too.
maybe it got better in the second half but in the first half it felt like they were reading teleprompter and not acting at all. Many of the "facts" had quite a bit of creative license as well

afella

Mayor
Dr stravelove: or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.

An amazing piece of comedy that delivers a message that will probably remain true until our demise as a species.

A boy and his dog. Just watch it if you haven't. It's quite bizarre. I think it speaks to a problem with us. It shows the depravity, or possible depravity, of us as a species.

Night of the living dead, 1968. For that time in US history the casting choices were amazing, the ending was an echo of our society at the time. Not to mention the kick off of an obsession in our culture over the dead coming back to life.

To kill a mockingbird, both the film and book. They speak for themselves.

EatTheRich

President
maybe it got better in the second half but in the first half it felt like they were reading teleprompter and not acting at all. Many of the "facts" had quite a bit of creative license as well
I’d say they did pretty well with the history as Hollywood movies go.

freyasman

Senator
That's a nice Hollywood rumor, but Nicolas Cage (who is Francis Ford Coppola's nephew, not his son) launched his acting career in Coppola's film Rumble Fish.
I saw that. It was based on an S.E. Hinton novel for young adults. Weird cinematography..... black and white with flashes of color.

freyasman

Senator
Dr stravelove: or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.

An amazing piece of comedy that delivers a message that will probably remain true until our demise as a species.

A boy and his dog. Just watch it if you haven't. It's quite bizarre. I think it speaks to a problem with us. It shows the depravity, or possible depravity, of us as a species.

Night of the living dead, 1968. For that time in US history the casting choices were amazing, the ending was an echo of our society at the time. Not to mention the kick off of an obsession in our culture over the dead coming back to life.

To kill a mockingbird, both the film and book. They speak for themselves.
Yeah, a boy and his dog was good; creepy but good. Try "Cold in July" on netflix. Totally different kind of movie, but it's got Don Johnson too.

C

Capitalist

The Big Short.

An accurate and entertaining look at the housing crash of 07.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I had to walk out of Lincoln. Not sure how it won any awards especially when a B movie came out around the same timeframe Lincoln the vampire hunter that was way more entertaining. not to mention the acting was much better also
Yeah, sure thing....cuz Benjamin Walker is such a great actor....:rolleyes:. Just look at all the awards that movie got (none).. It brought in $116 million bucks vs $275 million for Lincoln....and gee...it only won Best Actor, best production design, best director...

Yeah, sure thing....cuz Benjamin Walker is such a great actor....:rolleyes:. Just look at all the awards that movie got (none).. It brought in $116 million bucks vs $275 million for Lincoln....and gee...it only won Best Actor, best production design, best director...
The Oscars only go to go pretentious crap. IF you enjoy the smell of your own farts, and have a super boring story that last 3 hours you too can win an Oscar.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
The Oscars only go to go pretentious crap. IF you enjoy the smell of your own farts, and have a super boring story that last 3 hours you too can win an Oscar.
2 hrs 30 minutes...and pay no mind to the fact that it made $275 million bucks. I saw nothing at all pretentious about it. Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln was a remarkable performance, as was Sally Fields' Mary.

EatTheRich

President
2 hrs 30 minutes...and pay no mind to the fact that it made $275 million bucks. I saw nothing at all pretentious about it. Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln was a remarkable performance, as was Sally Fields' Mary.
And Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens, Lee Pace as Fernando Wood ...

I don't agree with you often, but you nailed this one. The Oscars, and the academy behind them, are a group of largely talentless old hacks whose only glory is engaging in a self-congratulatory circle jerk once a year while deluded idiots watch.

redtide

Mayor
Don't you find it odd judging a film by how many stage monkeys voted for it to get top stage monkey awards?
As in politics, medical, commercial or lifestyle advice a stage monkeys opinion is not even considered. Any one who gives a importance to such an opinion is more of an idiot then the stage monkey is

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Don't you find it odd judging a film by how many stage monkeys voted for it to get top stage monkey awards?
As in politics, medical, commercial or lifestyle advice a stage monkeys opinion is not even considered. Any one who gives a importance to such an opinion is more of an idiot then the stage monkey is
Pay no attention to the fact that Lincoln made a lot more money than the movie you liked...you just have shitty taste in movies.