• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Need HEEEELP with my daughter's Brit Lit project: Pride & Prejudice

Bo-4

Senator
While i love the Brits, i DESPISE the Brit hierarchy thing with marriage, royalty, entitlement.. :blah:

So this is kind of like (way worse actually) fingers on a chalkboard for me personally.

Can any of you guys way smarter than me on such tripe (IMHO of course) give it a shot with a few basic notions (as the Brits might say)?

How do Elizabeth and Darcy change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think the author is saying through the development of these characters? (theme) In your response, describe the primary features of the characteristics at the beginning of the novel, the basic process by which they change and their characteristics at the end of the novel, and what the author is trying to convey through the changes in these characters in the novel. At least six sentences per paragraph, Page requirement: 3-5 Word count: 900-1,500

1st paragraph (introduction) must include: hook (catches readers attention in first sentence), name of the author and novel (ignore this part), general information about the novel, thesis statement that directly addresses the prompt and answers the three general questions posed.

2nd paragraph (Elizabeth’s traits at beginning)

3rd paragraph (Darcy’s traits at beginning)

4th paragraph (basic process by which they change and their newfound characteristics in the end)

5th paragraph (main theme the author is trying to convey through changes in Elizabeth and Darcy)

My kid's start on this one (#5): The original title of the book tells it all: "First Impressions" - never be too quick to form an opinion on somebody, as you might be terribly wrong. A secondary message concerns the need to marry the right person. Austen stresses that looks, fame, wealth, social connections are NOT a sound basis for a happy marriage.

6th paragraph (conclusion) review main points made in the essay, restate the thesis statement in different words, end with final original thought that gives the reader something to think about.

Guys: This link might be helpful, and thanks in advance for your responses to save a Father who is GENERALLY good with such stuff, but whom epically FAILS when it comes to math and British (F*CKING) Literature!

http://www.mssresearch.org/?q=Social_Evolution_in_Pride_Prejudice

Bo-4

Senator
Bump

Bo out, but PLEASE if there are any Brit Lit History Buffs in house, kindly save my sorry ass on this dreaded subject.

See you in the morning.. must attend to my homemade lasagna :~D

Wulk

Mayor
It's a fictional book - it's not real. The only personality that the characters have is in the authors' imagination. I've never understood the American educational system of trying to put a real personality, and meaning, into fictional characters in a book. The only person that would ask what a fictional author was thinking when they developed a character in their book has never written a book.

Ask any author; they have a general idea of where their story is going, but, much of the time the characters actually write themselves, they take the author into realms that they, they author, never envisaged. Then the publishing editor takes over!

A book has a beginning, a middle, and an end. What an author does is manipulate those characters, and their circumstances, in their book, towards that end.

The would be better off discussing the social valuations of that time rather than fictional personalities, imho!

Bo-4

Senator
It's a fictional book - it's not real. The only personality that the characters have is in the authors' imagination. I've never understood the American educational system of trying to put a real personality, and meaning, into fictional characters in a book. The only person that would ask what a fictional author was thinking when they developed a character in their book has never written a book.

Ask any author; they have a general idea of where their story is going, but, much of the time the characters actually write themselves, they take the author into realms that they, they author, never envisaged. Then the publishing editor takes over!

A book has a beginning, a middle, and an end. What an author does is manipulate those characters, and their circumstances, in their book, towards that end.

The would be better off discussing the social valuations of that time rather than fictional personalities, imho!
Wulk, GREAT response as always. Might we come visit you and hit the pubs?

[video=youtube;_KCg_QEHtkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCg_QEHtkY[/video]

Jen

Senator
It's been too long since I read that for me to give credible analysis..........my daughter is an expert at that, but she's out of the state for her spring break. I can ask her about it when she gets back (if that's not too late) and I promise, she'll give me an ear full. And her stuff is amazing.

Bo-4

Senator
It's been too long since I read that for me to give credible analysis..........my daughter is an expert at that, but she's out of the state for her spring break. I can ask her about it when she gets back (if that's not too late) and I promise, she'll give me an ear full. And her stuff is amazing.
Cool, thanks Jen.. due on Monday. Much appreciated (God how i hate this crap ;-)

Jen

Senator
I sent my daughter the two main questions in a Facebook PM.............no guarantee she'll look at it immediately, but you know how kids check into FB.

BobbyT

Governor
Bo - what grade is your daughter in (just trying to find out how much analysis would be required)? It would be fun to create an analogy to a current event, but that might be too complicated to be a realistic response, depending upon the grade level.

Jen

Senator
So sorry, Bo........... my girl loves Jane Austen and has read Sense and Sensibility but hasn't read Pride and Prejudice yet. I'm glad she got right back to me. May I suggest a fast online copy of Cliff's Notes?

Spamature

President
Just go to Amazon and read the reviews on the book if you're short on ideas. You're bound to find what you're looking for in that junkyard of opinion and insight.

NinaS

Senator
Supporting Member
While i love the Brits, i DESPISE the Brit hierarchy thing with marriage, royalty, entitlement.. :blah:

So this is kind of like (way worse actually) fingers on a chalkboard for me personally.

Can any of you guys way smarter than me on such tripe (IMHO of course) give it a shot with a few basic notions (as the Brits might say)?

How do Elizabeth and Darcy change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think the author is saying through the development of these characters? (theme) In your response, describe the primary features of the characteristics at the beginning of the novel, the basic process by which they change and their characteristics at the end of the novel, and what the author is trying to convey through the changes in these characters in the novel. At least six sentences per paragraph, Page requirement: 3-5 Word count: 900-1,500

1st paragraph (introduction) must include: hook (catches readers attention in first sentence), name of the author and novel (ignore this part), general information about the novel, thesis statement that directly addresses the prompt and answers the three general questions posed.

2nd paragraph (Elizabeth’s traits at beginning)

3rd paragraph (Darcy’s traits at beginning)

4th paragraph (basic process by which they change and their newfound characteristics in the end)

5th paragraph (main theme the author is trying to convey through changes in Elizabeth and Darcy)

My kid's start on this one (#5): The original title of the book tells it all: "First Impressions" - never be too quick to form an opinion on somebody, as you might be terribly wrong. A secondary message concerns the need to marry the right person. Austen stresses that looks, fame, wealth, social connections are NOT a sound basis for a happy marriage.

6th paragraph (conclusion) review main points made in the essay, restate the thesis statement in different words, end with final original thought that gives the reader something to think about.

Guys: This link might be helpful, and thanks in advance for your responses to save a Father who is GENERALLY good with such stuff, but whom epically FAILS when it comes to math and British (F*CKING) Literature!

http://www.mssresearch.org/?q=Social_Evolution_in_Pride_Prejudice
Where's Queen Titiana when you need her? Isn't she a Brit?

Bo-4

Senator
Bo - what grade is your daughter in (just trying to find out how much analysis would be required)? It would be fun to create an analogy to a current event, but that might be too complicated to be a realistic response, depending upon the grade level.
Hey Bobby, that's a really interesting idea! She's a high school senior. Don't go to a bunch of trouble, but a few ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Bo-4

Senator
So sorry, Bo........... my girl loves Jane Austen and has read Sense and Sensibility but hasn't read Pride and Prejudice yet. I'm glad she got right back to me. May I suggest a fast online copy of Cliff's Notes?
Jen, thanks for checking! Yep, i got some ideas from my smart cousin in France and combined with some other notes on the web i think we're off to a decent start.

I'm good at SOME things. This is NOT one of them. Thankfully, i didn't get a whole lot of Brit Lit in school for i'd have surely failed!

One thing i helped her with last week was creating a new tide pool creature for Oceanography.

We came up with a Werefish (Werewolf head and fish tail).

She drew it, and i helped her write the description and answer all the questions her teacher was looking for.

THAT was fun and we added humor.. Brit Lit? For me, observing paint dry would be more interesting.

Same with classical music. LOVE most of it, but feel the same way about Brahms. ;-)