• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

New Orleans

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
My best friend, Willie was from New Orleans (Nu’awlins). He was my best friend in this world. I met Willie in the Navy and he remained my best friend for 27 years until he died of cancer in 1989.

He talked about New Orleans all the time. He painted a picture in my mind of a magical city where the people laughed at the cares of the world and would stop any and all activities just to go watch a parade, so many parades. At my first Mardi Gras, a man came walking through the crowd in cowboy chaps and nothing else. And the women…well, I won’t even go there.

When I got out of the Navy I went to New Orleans, and I stayed, many years. When I left there I brought a wife and daughter with me. New Orleans is addictive. One never really leaves New Orleans. Sometimes still, in my mind, I walk down Esplanade Avenue to the Ruby Red’s at the top of the Quarter and have the best hamburger on the planet. (*note on my last trip to New Orleans, I discovered that the Ruby Red’s is no longer there).

I miss standing out in front of Preservation Hall and listening to the Jazz bands play for free. I miss walking along the Shore of Ponchartrain Lake. I miss seeing the street cars on Magazine and Canal Street. I don’t miss Mardi Gras. I got into a fight every time I went downtown to Mardi Gras.

I was in old Tulane stadium that day in 1970 when Tom Dempsey kicked a 63 yard field goal. The Saints won the game (one of only two they won that year). I hugged a black man I had never met and never saw again, and he hugged me back.

In New Orleans I have seen grown men fight each other over a worthless plastic gold coin tossed from a Mardi Gras float. I saw two kids about ten years old, scramble for one of these coins. One kid was faster than the other one and scooped up the coin. The other kid started yelling about it and his father told the kid who’d snatched the coin to give it up.

The kid refused and the older man called him a racial slur and took the coin away from him. I told the man that the kid had gotten the coin fair and square and to give it back to him. He called me a ni***r-lover and said f**k you. He was at least 20-years older than I was, about 45 and I was 25.

I hit him between his eyes and he went down hard in the street. I took the coin out of his hand and gave it back to the other kid and told him to haul ass, which he did. The man’s wife started yelling for the police so I grabbed my wife’s hand and we hauled ass, as well. Discretion is the better part of valor, I’ve heard tell.

At a place called “La Casa de Los Marinos” (The House of the Sailors), on Decatur street in the Quarter, the crowd was so thick that one had to flow with it wherever it might lead. One Saturday night I was moving out of the place, my wife just ahead of me. A line of people in front of us, face to face, was moving in. I noticed a look of shock on my wife’s face and I looked closer and saw that a man in the line coming into the place had put his hands on her butt. The two lines moved slowly on and the man came face to face with me. I upper-cut him hard in the groin. The pain apparently was so intense that he could not yell. He appeared to pass out but could not fall down, the surge of people being so great. Again the two lines moved on. Neither the man, nor anyone in the place, ever saw who or what had hit him. I think drunkenness might have played a part in the general oblivion to the event.

I stopped going to Mardi Gras because I just don’t like huge crowds and crowd size was often estimated at a million people in downtown New Orleans on Fat Tuesday.

I fought a kangaroo in New Orleans (at an auditorium) on a dare from a friend. They were offering money (I don’t remember how much). The rule was you had to approach the thing and hit him (you couldn’t just dance around). I was just drunk enough to think I could beat him. I was wrong. I moved in, bobbing and weaving, and when I got close enough, I threw my best right punch right at his face; and the lights went out. The little bastard knocked me out faster than a cat can lick its ass.

Every time I go back to New Orleans, I drive up Rampart Street past that auditorium, that is now the Louie Armstrong Center, and I think about that kangaroo. I bet I could take him now.

I pretty much finished my crazy years in the Big Easy.

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
And miss her each night and day
I know I'm not wrong because the feeling's
Getting stronger the longer I stay away
Miss the moss-covered vines, tall sugar pines
Where mockingbirds used to sing
I'd love to see that old lazy Mississippi
Running in the spring

Moonlight on the bayous
Creole tunes fill the air
I dream about magnolias in June
And I'm wishin’ I was there

When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more, I miss the one I care for
More than I miss New Orleans

Billie Holiday 1947

freyasman

Senator
Laissez les bon temps roulet ;)
NOLA is a crazy town, been there a bunch of times, and usually had fun, and even when I didn't, I always at least had some good food.
Check this blog out; http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/ This guy lives right near the Quarter, and he likes to take pictures when he is out with his dogs. He posts some good photos of the New Orleans area.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Laissez les bon temps roulet ;)
NOLA is a crazy town, been there a bunch of times, and usually had fun, and even when I didn't, I always at least had some good food.
Check this blog out; http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/ This guy lives right near the Quarter, and he likes to take pictures when he is out with his dogs. He posts some good photos of the New Orleans area.
I saved the link so I can go back to it when I have more time. Thanks.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
My best friend, Willie was from New Orleans (Nu’awlins). He was my best friend in this world. I met Willie in the Navy and he remained my best friend for 27 years until he died of cancer in 1989.

He talked about New Orleans all the time. He painted a picture in my mind of a magical city where the people laughed at the cares of the world and would stop any and all activities just to go watch a parade, so many parades. At my first Mardi Gras, a man came walking through the crowd in cowboy chaps and nothing else. And the women…well, I won’t even go there.

When I got out of the Navy I went to New Orleans, and I stayed, many years. When I left there I brought a wife and daughter with me. New Orleans is addictive. One never really leaves New Orleans. Sometimes still, in my mind, I walk down Esplanade Avenue to the Ruby Red’s at the top of the Quarter and have the best hamburger on the planet. (*note on my last trip to New Orleans, I discovered that the Ruby Red’s is no longer there).

I miss standing out in front of Preservation Hall and listening to the Jazz bands play for free. I miss walking along the Shore of Ponchartrain Lake. I miss seeing the street cars on Magazine and Canal Street. I don’t miss Mardi Gras. I got into a fight every time I went downtown to Mardi Gras.

I was in old Tulane stadium that day in 1970 when Tom Dempsey kicked a 63 yard field goal. The Saints won the game (one of only two they won that year). I hugged a black man I had never met and never saw again, and he hugged me back.

In New Orleans I have seen grown men fight each other over a worthless plastic gold coin tossed from a Mardi Gras float. I saw two kids about ten years old, scramble for one of these coins. One kid was faster than the other one and scooped up the coin. The other kid started yelling about it and his father told the kid who’d snatched the coin to give it up.

The kid refused and the older man called him a racial slur and took the coin away from him. I told the man that the kid had gotten the coin fair and square and to give it back to him. He called me a ni***r-lover and said f**k you. He was at least 20-years older than I was, about 45 and I was 25.

I hit him between his eyes and he went down hard in the street. I took the coin out of his hand and gave it back to the other kid and told him to haul ass, which he did. The man’s wife started yelling for the police so I grabbed my wife’s hand and we hauled ass, as well. Discretion is the better part of valor, I’ve heard tell.

At a place called “La Casa de Los Marinos” (The House of the Sailors), on Decatur street in the Quarter, the crowd was so thick that one had to flow with it wherever it might lead. One Saturday night I was moving out of the place, my wife just ahead of me. A line of people in front of us, face to face, was moving in. I noticed a look of shock on my wife’s face and I looked closer and saw that a man in the line coming into the place had put his hands on her butt. The two lines moved slowly on and the man came face to face with me. I upper-cut him hard in the groin. The pain apparently was so intense that he could not yell. He appeared to pass out but could not fall down, the surge of people being so great. Again the two lines moved on. Neither the man, nor anyone in the place, ever saw who or what had hit him. I think drunkenness might have played a part in the general oblivion to the event.

I stopped going to Mardi Gras because I just don’t like huge crowds and crowd size was often estimated at a million people in downtown New Orleans on Fat Tuesday.

I fought a kangaroo in New Orleans (at an auditorium) on a dare from a friend. They were offering money (I don’t remember how much). The rule was you had to approach the thing and hit him (you couldn’t just dance around). I was just drunk enough to think I could beat him. I was wrong. I moved in, bobbing and weaving, and when I got close enough, I threw my best right punch right at his face; and the lights went out. The little bastard knocked me out faster than a cat can lick its ass.

Every time I go back to New Orleans, I drive up Rampart Street past that auditorium, that is now the Louie Armstrong Center, and I think about that kangaroo. I bet I could take him now.

I pretty much finished my crazy years in the Big Easy.

And miss her each night and day
I know I'm not wrong because the feeling's
Getting stronger the longer I stay away
Miss the moss-covered vines, tall sugar pines
Where mockingbirds used to sing
I'd love to see that old lazy Mississippi
Running in the spring

Moonlight on the bayous
Creole tunes fill the air
I dream about magnolias in June
And I'm wishin’ I was there

When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more, I miss the one I care for
More than I miss New Orleans

Billie Holiday 1947
Nice.

New Orleans is an infection that cannot be cured. Difficult to pinpoint why other then the obvious fact that it's history is so very different than the rest of the nation's.

Ruby Red? Never heard of it, must have been before my visits, but there has long been a hamburger joint on Esplanade at Dauphin...Port of Call...that has been voted NOLA's best burger for years.

Thrillist rates NO burgers...Port of Call comes in at #9. Still pretty good.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-orleans/best-burgers-in-new-orleans-louisiana-burger-quest

A friend of mine, a fellow music lover/dj finally got his butt down there last year. He was spectacularly, but sadly, treated to the funeral of Allen Toussaint...with a front row balcony seat.

He now knows what it means...

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Nice.

New Orleans is an infection that cannot be cured. Difficult to pinpoint why other then the obvious fact that it's history is so very different than the rest of the nation's.

Ruby Red? Never heard of it, must have been before my visits, but there has long been a hamburger joint on Esplanade at Dauphin...Port of Call...that has been voted NOLA's best burger for years.

Thrillist rates NO burgers...Port of Call comes in at #9. Still pretty good.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-orleans/best-burgers-in-new-orleans-louisiana-burger-quest

A friend of mine, a fellow music lover/dj finally got his butt down there last year. He was spectacularly, but sadly, treated to the funeral of Allen Toussaint...with a front row balcony seat.

He now knows what it means...
Yes, my wife and I used to hang out at Port of Call when we lived in New Orleans. It is still there. My daughter and soninlaw brought me back a shirt from there on their last visit. They raved about the burgers (I told them to be sure and get a burger when they went there). The place has been in business a very long time. We were hanging out there when my daughter was a baby (early 70's) and it had been there a long time even then.
Ruby Reds was down the street toward the river on the other side. Wow, our paths have crossed, although years apart.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Yes, my wife and I used to hang out at Port of Call when we lived in New Orleans. It is still there. My daughter and soninlaw brought me back a shirt from there on their last visit. They raved about the burgers (I told them to be sure and get a burger when they went there). The place has been in business a very long time. We were hanging out there when my daughter was a baby (early 70's) and it had been there a long time even then.
Ruby Reds was down the street toward the river on the other side. Wow, our paths have crossed, although years apart.
We all walk the same streets. I've been to Dealey Plaza too. You lived up the road...two rivers up...

I've only visited NO, 5 or 6 times, first time would have been '91.

Best meal was lunch at Commander's Palace...

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
We all walk the same streets. I've been to Dealey Plaza too. You lived up the road...two rivers up...

I've only visited NO, 5 or 6 times, first time would have been '91.

Best meal was lunch at Commander's Palace...
I never went to Commander's Palace. We went quite a bit to the West End (Fitzgerald's Seafood) and a few places in the quarter. One anniversary at Court of Two Sisters (food was not that good) and two cooks got into a fight and were throwing pots and pans and cursing like sailors; it was a hoot. Bud's Broiler had good burgers. They are now out of business too

My soninlaw had never been out of Texas until he married my daughter. Now he's been to Louisiana and New Mexico and Colorado. He tells people his favorite restaurant is New Orleans.

At Ruby Red's they brought you peanuts, all you wanted, and everybody peeled them and threw the shells on the floor. They didn't sweep until after closing time so the floors were always covered with peanut shells and hulls. Well, long story short, I went on a trip with wife and daughter to Mobile, Alabama to scope out a job I was going to do. We went into a hamburger place called The Ground patty and they had peanuts on every table. I started peeling the peanuts and throwing the shells on the floor. The waiters and other customers started looking at me like I had just shit in my hat and left it on the table.
I had to explain, with some degree of embarrassment, about Ruby Red's in New Orleans and that was why I was throwing peanut shells on the floor. They said they believed me but I don't think they did.