• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

New/Updated Rules as a result of our Chat with the PJ users (EVERYONE READ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
obviously, you have no idea what the meaning of the phrase "nitpick the rules" entails.

Is there any other possibility you could ascribe to my motivation behind my post? Perhaps, I felt the need to clarify my use of the word "stupid"? You know, just in case, you guys might mistake it for name calling?
if you are such a poor debater that you have to use the word stupid then plan on being banned because you have lost whatever debate you are in and you would most likely be calling someone stupid.

Days

Commentator
if you are such a poor debater that you have to use the word stupid then plan on being banned because you have lost whatever debate you are in and you would most likely be calling someone stupid.
So, we have to be such excellent debaters, that we do not so much as describe poor argument in any way?

example:
your assessment that I was "nitpicking the rules" was what? Intellectually challenged?

poor judgment?

rather disappointing?

somewhat derelict?

idiotic?

but in no way stupid, eh?

I don't have to use the word stupid, I am somewhat acquainted with the English language... is there a word you prefer that has the same meaning?

... or did you just make the act of debate against the rules?

Last edited:

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
But some posters are stupid. Is it your opinion that everyone knows who these stupid posters are and it is not necessary to point out the fact that this or that particular poster is stupid?
My thoughts on this are this: While everyone on the board may very well know who the stupid posters are, the stupid poster may not know that he is one of the stupid posters. Therefore it might be viewed as a benevolent act...advising the stupid poster that he is, indeed, stupid.
I'll await you response before I start calling anyone stupid.

Days

Commentator
So, we have to be such excellent debaters, that we do not so much as describe poor argument in any way?

example:
your assessment that I was "nitpicking the rules" was what? Intellectually challenged?

poor judgment?

rather disappointing?

somewhat derelict?

idiotic?

but in no way stupid, eh?

I don't have to use the word stupid, I am somewhat acquainted with the English language... is there a word you prefer that has the same meaning?

... or did you just make the act of debate against the rules?
maybe I need to slow it down a tad.

Okay, in this example, I chose a judgment you made, it wasn't complete enough to be an argument, it might even be considered a rash judgment, at any rate, I chose this judgment in place of an argument, mostly because it was convenient, it was available.

Now, the point is, not the descriptor used, but the act of describing the judgment; whatever adjective you like, I have always used the word "stupid" because that was the word Schadenfreude used on me a thousand times, in other words, it has reference for most of these posters, they know what I am referring to, but no matter, the point being, it is a descriptor of your argument, or, in this case, your judgment.

So, I am attacking the post, not the poster.

That was always the rules of the road and I can't see where you have changed that in any way. At least not in this set of rules posted in this thread... but there is something sinister brewing under the surface, moderation is becoming sensitized to any debate that draws into question the ability of the opposition to make an argument. Which... c'mon now... all debate does that, either you are debating or you are not. If I am debating with you, I am automatically calling your position stupid and it seems we no longer can seperate our feelings from our politics... have we become so easily offended, that we simply can not handle debate? Has it become so extreme, that a forum - which was set up for debate - has tongue-in-cheek made it against the rules to debate..... because it might hurt the opposing poster's feelings?

you do realize this is ludicrous?

Last edited:
Days, a poor debater? Are you joking SW!

read the whole screed, and it made sense to me.

just to clarify:
calling someone's argument "stupid" is not name calling, it is debate.

disclaimer:
every last time you see me post the word "stupid" it is aimed at the argument and not the poster of the argument. Do not be deceived into thinking otherwise, no matter how bad your English skills might be, I 1000% guarantee I am using the word to debate, not name call, I always have, and I always will, so do not think for one instant it will ever change, okay?

fair warning:
I generally do not debate with an argument if I agree with it, so if I enter a debate, you can be sure I will call the argument I disagree with "stupid"... if it wasn't stupid, I wouldn't be arguing with it.

**** hopefully, I will not get banned for using the word "stupid", because to the very best of my understanding, it in no way breaks the rules........ or am I too stupid to understand these rules?
He doesn't know who any of us are darling xxx

anyone who is going to nitpick the rules like you just did, probably shouldn’t be a part of this community.
Days too came from Slate and is of the old school who do/did debate - I know that you don't want to know who any of us are but because you don't your judgements are arbitrary and so often inequitable and disrespectful.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Generally speaking, is there really so little to talk about that there are persons here parsing the use of the word stupid?

I'll try to help with my two cents

Calling an argument stupid ... Not a problem

Calling a poster stupid... Is potentially a problem.

I'm not sure that the topic requires any more gradation than that

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
One could simply say "I disagree" and state why.
Sure.

But is it really a point that needs clarifying, or is it a point just to be a pain in the ass, or is it something else? seems to me people want to know the difference between calling someone stupid and something stupid.

My answer here is stupid. Did I just insult myself?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Sure.

But is it really a point that needs clarifying, or is it a point just to be a pain in the ass, or is it something else?
It was a general statement. As between you and I, there's really no debate.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
just to clarify:
calling someone's argument "stupid" is not name calling, it is debate.

disclaimer:
every last time you see me post the word "stupid" it is aimed at the argument and not the poster of the argument.
One could simply say "I disagree" and state why.

Do not be deceived into thinking otherwise, no matter how bad your English skills might be,
Nothing like throwing in a little insult in a disclaimer.

Days

Commentator
One could simply say "I disagree" and state why..
If one was trying to say something different, sure. But saying "I disagree" is not the same as saying "here is the part of your argument that is stupid". One says I disagree, but that does not necessarily mean I think you are wrong... the other says, this is definitely wrong.

I might think your argument is stupid and yet I whole heartedly agree with it. I reserve the right to be as stupid as I wanna be.

Nothing like throwing in a little insult in a disclaimer.
yep... earned over time from multiple poor judgments and poor command of the English language... that was the whole reason for the post. I knew he was going to see the word "stupid" in one of my posts and slap off a ban; and if you keep reading he says he will do exactly that.

Last edited:

Days

Commentator
Days too came from Slate and is of the old school who do/did debate - I know that you don't want to know who any of us are but because you don't your judgements are arbitrary and so often inequitable and disrespectful.
I'm rather hopeful he chose to test my wittle feelings because he was hopeful that I could handle it.

Either way, my concern here is that it has become politically incorrect to enter a serious debate around here.

Days

Commentator
Sure.

But is it really a point that needs clarifying, or is it a point just to be a pain in the ass, or is it something else? seems to me people want to know the difference between calling someone stupid and something stupid.

My answer here is stupid. Did I just insult myself?
that's the heart of the issue.
And the answer is...
it depends on how much you want to own your answer.

...the question then becomes, did you feel insulted when you labeled your answer "stupid"?
Because if you didn't feel insulted, it might not matter if you insulted yourself.

I've been accused of raising debate that I don't necessarily agree with; just to debate an issue. That's my prerogative.

The bloody question for the forum is...
can we handle being insulted or not?

Because if you come here to debate politics, you can damn well bet, you are going to be insulted. Comes with the territory.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
that's the heart of the issue.
And the answer is...
it depends on how much you want to own your answer.

...the question then becomes, did you feel insulted when you labeled your answer "stupid"?
Because if you didn't feel insulted, it might not matter if you insulted yourself.

I've been accused of raising debate that I don't necessarily agree with; just to debate an issue. That's my prerogative.

The bloody question for the forum is...
can we handle being insulted or not?

Because if you come here to debate politics, you can damn well bet, you are going to be insulted. Comes with the territory.

it does. yet some seemingly cant handle it

Status
Not open for further replies.