• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Newt fails the Fat Factor

RedCloud

Mayor
Newt is too chubby to be elected President. I doubt that he will even last it through the primaries.

William Howard Taft (1909-1913) was the last fat President elected.

I'm not charging for this valuable bit of political analysis but if you feel compelled to pay something then donate it to your favorite charity (as long as it is not one of those Conservative fly-by-night scams).

Jim Scott

Council Member
I'd say your political analysis is worth about what we paid for it. However, there is a grain of truth in it.

Most of the presidents elected in the past 60 years have been anywhere from thin (Obama, Johnson) to average (Bush 41 & 43, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Kennedy, Eisenhower) to slightly overweight (Clinton). Gingrich would fall into the slightly overweight category - but I seriously doubt that would prevent people from voting for him. Most Americans vote along party lines or against the incumbent because they want a change. It appears as if Romney, who is very fit and looks 15 years younger than his age (65 next month) will be the Republican presidential nominee in 2012. If so, his appearance won't hurt him and with the economy in shambles under Obama, he'll likely be our next president.

RedCloud

Mayor
I'd say your political analysis is worth about what we paid for it. However, there is a grain of truth in it.

Most of the presidents elected in the past 60 years have been anywhere from thin (Obama, Johnson) to average (Bush 41 & 43, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Kennedy, Eisenhower) to slightly overweight (Clinton). Gingrich would fall into the slightly overweight category - but I seriously doubt that would prevent people from voting for him. Most Americans vote along party lines or against the incumbent because they want a change. It appears as if Romney, who is very fit and looks 15 years younger than his age (65 next month) will be the Republican presidential nominee in 2012. If so, his appearance won't hurt him and with the economy in shambles under Obama, he'll likely be our next president.
JS, go to Vegas and bet all your money on Romneys being our next President.

PS: No charge for this either!

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Newt is too chubby to be elected President. I doubt that he will even last it through the primaries.

William Howard Taft (1909-1913) was the last fat President elected.

I'm not charging for this valuable bit of political analysis but if you feel compelled to pay something then donate it to your favorite charity (as long as it is not one of those Conservative fly-by-night scams).
It is worth noting, we Americans do place an emphasis on appearance in our selection process.. more so, from my POV than other countries. I'm not saying this is acceptable or justifiable, just a psychological hangup.. that attractive people are viewed as more intelligent.

Bo-4

Senator
JS, go to Vegas and bet all your money on Romneys being our next President.

PS: No charge for this either!
His stock is down today ;-)

Intrade: Mitt Romney to be elected President in 2012

39.0%
CHANCE
Last prediction was: $3.90 / share
Today's Change: -$0.19 (-4.6%)

Bo-4

Senator
It is worth noting, we Americans do place an emphasis on appearance in our selection process.. more so, from my POV than other countries. I'm not saying this is acceptable or justifiable, just a psychological hangup.. that attractive people are viewed as more intelligent.
Addy.. that is correct. Add somewhat tall to the attractive and you have an electable candidate. I actually like Chris Christie (even though i agree with him about very little) but no way in hell unless he loses 100 pounds.

RedCloud

Mayor
Addy, you are right. I think the fact that I'm both attractive and intelligent gives me some advantage over most Cons. That I'm extremely modest doesn't hurt either.

Seriously, you are right. I think that tests have been performed that proves your point.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Addy, you are right. I think the fact that I'm both attractive and intelligent gives me some advantage over most Cons. That I'm extremely modest doesn't hurt either.
RedCloud.. You have to be one of the funniest guys posting.. always upbeat and a wonderful sense of humor, a great combo! You were the same on Slate. Thanks for all of the laughs, they always brighten my day. : )

RedCloud

Mayor
RedCloud.. You have to be one of the funniest guys posting.. always upbeat and a wonderful sense of humor, a great combo! You were the same on Slate. Thanks for all of the laughs, they always brighten my day. : )
Thanks, Addy. I try to be upbeat about most things. My sense of humor was inherited. All the Clouds were funny or crazy, depending on your point of view.