• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

No Justice for Family Members of Whitey Bulger Victims?

fairsheet

Senator
Today, Bulger was convicted on 31 out of 32 counts. I'm not sure how the math works, but I guess some of the murders were rolled into one charge? I say that, because apparently, he was no convicted of murder in the case of some of his victims. Evidently, all these years later, the evidence and witnesses had gone stale.

In any case, the shout-venue from which I got this whole snippet (CNN) went on and on about the terrrible plight of the family members of the victims whose deaths Bulger was not convicted of. The family members were pissed and the CNN-ers were pissed at how these people hadn't recieved the measure of justice due them.

And, I imagine few people reading this ramble would disagree with the family members and CNN-ers, but I would. We used to know that the criminal law was about justice for SOCIETY, not the individual victim. But somewhere along the line - over the last 30-40 years - this idea that it's all about the individual has bored itself into our brains to the point that it's no taken for granted.

The father of one of Bulger's victims, is now saying he's going to prevail upon the State to prosecute Bulger for murder in the case of his daughter. (These other charges were City of Boston). Should the State do this for this man - in order to give him the justice and closure he needs? I say no. Bulger's sentencing awaits, but the only left hanging (no pun) is whether he gets life + 500 years or life +100 years. Justice has been done.

NightSwimmer

Senator
At his age, a ten year sentence would probably amount to a life sentence. I don't understand how anyone would gain anything by tacking on more years.