• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

No shit....

fairsheet

Senator
A therapist who can't understand their patients, no matter how well-intentioned, really isn't good for much. You've got to speak the language. I've seen this shit myself.
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/health-care/2014/11/21/mental-health-troops-veterans-care/19324407/

Good timing. Around XMAS time, I'll be seeing one of my nephews who recently graduated from University. It took him about 3 years longer than it should have and he graduated with a Psych degree. I'm sorry to say, but when kids start out with grand designs on a civil engineering degree, as he did, then "downgrade" themselves to some sort of Sociology degree, it's usually because they're taking the easier path.

Whatever...what does he do now, with this Psych BA? I think the best thing for him to do now, is to join our (family tends Navy) the USN and let them pay for his Psych Doctorate and at the same time, he could focus on the issues soldiers and veterans face. There's a good market for that sort of skill and expertise set.

freyasman

Senator
Good timing. Around XMAS time, I'll be seeing one of my nephews who recently graduated from University. It took him about 3 years longer than it should have and he graduated with a Psych degree. I'm sorry to say, but when kids start out with grand designs on a civil engineering degree, as he did, then "downgrade" themselves to some sort of Sociology degree, it's usually because they're taking the easier path.

Whatever...what does he do now, with this Psych BA? I think the best thing for him to do now, is to join our (family tends Navy) the USN and let them pay for his Psych Doctorate and at the same time, he could focus on the issues soldiers and veterans face. There's a good market for that sort of skill and expertise set.
Tell him to go for it.... Get the military to pay for his schooling. Pretty much the only military officers I have any lingering respect for are doctors. (And that's like 1 guy....)

fairsheet

Senator
Tell him to go for it.... Get the military to pay for his schooling. Pretty much the only military officers I have any lingering respect for are doctors. (And that's like 1 guy....)

It's too bad that there isn't some sort of viable pathway for combat veterans to morph into phsyc-types. I'm not saying there would be anything wrong with that. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem sufficiently realistic, to meet the need.

freyasman

Senator
It's too bad that there isn't some sort of viable pathway for combat veterans to morph into phsyc-types. I'm not saying there would be anything wrong with that. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem sufficiently realistic, to meet the need.
There are reasons why that doesn't work so well, and they're the same reasons that some of us avoid VFW's and such.
This a blog post from a guy who goes by Selco. He was trapped in Sarajevo during the siege, and he has a blog where he shares what he learned from the experience. http://shtfschool.com/survival-psychology/the-cost-of-violence/
A lot of people question his authenticity, but when I read a post like this, I'm as sure as I can be that he's for real.

Wahbooz

Governor
Counseling. We have a couple of groups here that mentor and counsel returning vets. There's no one who knows better than a vet what someone has gone through. And I think they get better help than from the run of the mill psych.