• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

NY Times columnist Paul Krugman apologizes for floating ‘conspiracy theory’ about jobs numbers that Trump influenced labor data

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and just so you know this happened.

You should see this too. @PhilFish

When the U.S. government’s official jobs report for May came out on Friday, it included a note at the bottom saying there had been a major “error” indicating that the unemployment rate likely should be higher than the widely reported 13.3 percent rate.
The special note said that if this “misclassification error” had not occurred, the “overall unemployment rate would have been about 3 percentage points higher than reported,” meaning the unemployment rate would be about 16.3 percent for May. But that would still be an improvement from an unemployment rate of about 19.7 percent for April, applying the same standards.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the agency that puts out the monthly jobs reports, said it was working to fix the problem.

“BLS and the Census Bureau are investigating why this misclassification error continues to occur and are taking additional steps to address the issue,” said a note at the bottom of the Bureau of Labor Statistics report.

Yes.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
If you note on the graph I posted the UE rate from Jan 2017 is 7.5%

Here is what it was when he took office.

View attachment 52814

He lowered the black ue rate by over 5% from when he came into office, almost 10% off its peak, and did in fact get it below the pre recession level of 7.6%

View attachment 52815.

Let's see if Trump even comes close to getting it back to where Obama handed it off to him.
LOL! Who was the President in January 2017?

Spamature

President
Yes, they literally put a message at the end of their report that the "books" are essentially "cooked" favorably for Trump in this part of the "Trump Era".

Nobody even Krugman is, or was, saying he had a hand in it.

But it's there just the same.

Spamature

President
LOL! Who was the President in January 2017?
For most if it, Obama was POTUS.

Also I was over generous to your position since the rate before the officially note recession in the graph was much higher than 7.6 %. On the line its 9% but moving it back just a month it still as you see higher. So it's was a full percentage point drop in the pre recession black ue rate when he handed off to Trump.

1591562694929.png

Last edited:

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, they literally put a message at the end of their report that the "books" are essentially "cooked" favorably for Trump in this part of the "Trump Era".

Nobody even Krugman is, or was, saying he had a hand in it.

But it's there just the same.

We'll see what happens next jobs report.

Anyway..I still think 16.9% ue..is better than 20+.

But it may just be me...and the overly normal education I received

Spamature

President
We'll see what happens next jobs report.

Anyway..I still think 16.9% ue..is better than 20+.

But it may just be me...and the overly normal education I received
It is in fact better than 20+.

I have to wonder about the next jobs reports since we have had more businesses closing because of curfews and protest concerns than we had closing under the virus shutdown.

Wild times in the Trump era, indeed.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
It is in fact better than 20+.

I have to wonder about the next jobs reports since we have had more businesses closing because of curfews and protest concerns than we had closing under the virus shutdown.

Wild times in the Trump era, indeed.
Protest concerns..like being destroyed by looters and rioters