• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

NY Times columnist Paul Krugman apologizes for floating ‘conspiracy theory’ about jobs numbers that Trump influenced labor data

Marcus Aurelius

Governor
Supporting Member

New York Times columnist Paul Krugman apologized Friday after he was roasted for floating a "conspiracy theory" that President Trump could have influenced the Bureau of Labor Statistics

The U.S. unemployment rate unexpectedly dropped to 13.3 percent in May, down from a record high in April, indicating the nation's economy is recovering faster than expected from the coronavirus lockdown -- but Krugman didn't buy it.

“This being the Trump era, you can't completely discount the possibility that they've gotten to the BLS, but it's much more likely that the models used to produce these numbers — they aren't really raw data — have gone haywire in a time of pandemic,” Krugman said.

Employers added a stunning 2.5 million jobs in May -- the biggest increase on record. The jobless rate dropped from 14.7 percent in April, which was the highest level ever since record-keeping began in 1948. The surprise decline, combined with the surge in jobs, suggests the worst is over for the nation's economy as states ease stay-at-home guidelines and businesses bring back staff.

The Times columnist apologized in a follow-up tweet after he was hit with significant backlash.

Getting a lot of outraged pushback over even allowing the possibility of something amiss at BLS. I was just covering myself, because so many weird things have happened lately. But I apologize for any suggestion that a highly professional agency might have been corrupted,” Krugman wrote. “And as I look at the data, I'm starting to believe that the modest job gains may well have been real, not an artifact of the models.”

Krugman trended on social media for much of the morning as critics from all sides condemned his initial suggestion:

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

New York Times columnist Paul Krugman apologized Friday after he was roasted for floating a "conspiracy theory" that President Trump could have influenced the Bureau of Labor Statistics

The U.S. unemployment rate unexpectedly dropped to 13.3 percent in May, down from a record high in April, indicating the nation's economy is recovering faster than expected from the coronavirus lockdown -- but Krugman didn't buy it.

“This being the Trump era, you can't completely discount the possibility that they've gotten to the BLS, but it's much more likely that the models used to produce these numbers — they aren't really raw data — have gone haywire in a time of pandemic,” Krugman said.

Employers added a stunning 2.5 million jobs in May -- the biggest increase on record. The jobless rate dropped from 14.7 percent in April, which was the highest level ever since record-keeping began in 1948. The surprise decline, combined with the surge in jobs, suggests the worst is over for the nation's economy as states ease stay-at-home guidelines and businesses bring back staff.

The Times columnist apologized in a follow-up tweet after he was hit with significant backlash.

Getting a lot of outraged pushback over even allowing the possibility of something amiss at BLS. I was just covering myself, because so many weird things have happened lately. But I apologize for any suggestion that a highly professional agency might have been corrupted,” Krugman wrote. “And as I look at the data, I'm starting to believe that the modest job gains may well have been real, not an artifact of the models.”

Krugman trended on social media for much of the morning as critics from all sides condemned his initial suggestion:

nobody knows what the f to do..

cya. make it up. lie about it. pretend.

what a circus the crazed have wrought.

Spamature

President

"Hint"

Marcus Aurelius

Governor
Supporting Member
Why would he need to apologize to Trump ?

You act as if the BLS has never been caught cooking the books under Trump in a favorable way.

In case you don't know they have.
he directly accused Trump of influencing the BLS. HE then found out he fvcked up, and was too much like you to man up and apologize to the person he accused.

Spamature

President
he directly accused Trump of influencing the BLS. HE then found out he fvcked up, and was too much like you to man up and apologize to the person he accused.
No, he questioned the models they used. Are you saying you think Trump creates the models used by the BLS ?

Marcus Aurelius

Governor
Supporting Member
No, he questioned the models they used. Are you saying you think Trump creates the models used by the BLS ?
“This being the Trump era, you can't completely discount the possibility that they've gotten to the BLS, but it's much more likely that the models used to produce these numbers — they aren't really raw data — have gone haywire in a time of pandemic,”

Of course, you ignore his main point (in red above)...it's Trump's fault...Trump did it.....let's all blame Trump...YAY!!!!!!!!

Spamature

President
“This being the Trump era, you can't completely discount the possibility that they've gotten to the BLS, but it's much more likely that the models used to produce these numbers — they aren't really raw data — have gone haywire in a time of pandemic,”

Of course, you ignore his main point (in red above)...it's Trump's fault...Trump did it.....let's all blame Trump...YAY!!!!!!!!
As I stated it has already happen before in the Trump era.

Is that too strong at term for you ?

How about they have previously presented numbers which were not true and favorable to Trump.

Is that better ?
So every time the BLS has revised their numbers, you believe the original numbers were dishonest and done at the behest of the president, correct?

Marcus Aurelius

Governor
Supporting Member
Is that too strong at term for you ?

How about they have previously presented numbers which were not true and favorable to Trump.

Is that better ?
So, whenever the BLS revises numbers, if they make Trump look good, it's a lie and they were corrupted by Trump. If the revised numbers make Trump look bad, then the BLS was just correcting a mistake and that's it.

Got it.

fvcking pathetic.