• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

NY Times columnist Paul Krugman apologizes for floating ‘conspiracy theory’ about jobs numbers that Trump influenced labor data

Spamature

President
Good lefty. Double down on idiocy.

As opposed to a Hillary or Obama voter? The ones killing people, looting businesses, and vandalizing over a lie?
Are you trying to blame the disastrous Trump era on voting for Obama and / or Hillary ?

That takes a special kind of stupid.
Stupid indeed.

Mick

The Right is always right
Are you trying to blame the disastrous Trump era on voting for Obama and / or Hillary ?

That takes a special kind of stupid.
Stupid indeed.
I certainly take the looting and rioting going on and blaming Hillary and Obama voters. A special kind of evil.....and stupid. Still denying it, special needs?

Spamature

President
Like the special kind of stupid it takes to give Obama credit for the pre-pandemic financial gains and record low minority unemployment figures?
You mean how like none of Trump's years in office hasn't even once beat Obama last year in job creation, not to mention his best year of job creation ?

Or do you mean how Obama took the Black UE rate from almost 15% down to 7.5 in less than 5 yrs and Trump took it down only 2.3% in 3 yrs, before he fumbled the thriving economy Obama handed off to him ? percentage points ?

1591424775993.png

Spamature

President
I certainly take the looting and rioting going on and blaming Hillary and Obama voters. A special kind of evil.....and stupid. Still denying it, special needs?
Oh I know you blame them. Doesn't make it a fact that the people doing it are those voters, but as the nation drift rudderless, any port will do in a sh*t storm, eh ?

Nutty Cortez

Dummy (D) NY
You mean how like none of Trump's years in office hasn't even once beat Obama last year in job creation, not to mention his best year of job creation ?

Or do you mean how Obama took the Black UE rate from almost 15% down to 7.5 in less than 5 yrs and Trump took it down only 2.3% in 3 yrs, before he fumbled the thriving economy Obama handed off to him ? percentage points ?

View attachment 52774

Look. Oblammo told you and I, the Low I.Q Democrats that his way was the new normal.

Record High Female Unemployment
Record High Teen Unemployment
Record High Black Unemployment
Record High Hispanic Unemployment
Record High College Grad Unemployment
Record High Number in Poverty
Record High Number of people on Food Stamps
Record High on Disability

We liked it- Gov't running the show.

Trump blew that up AND DID BETTER FOR ALL - and we had to cry- like babies aw :(

Spamature

President
Look. Oblammo told you and I, the Low I.Q Democrats that his way was the new normal.

Record High Female Unemployment
Record High Teen Unemployment
Record High Black Unemployment
Record High Hispanic Unemployment
Record High College Grad Unemployment
Record High Number in Poverty
Record High Number of people on Food Stamps
Record High on Disability

We liked it- Gov't running the show.

Trump blew that up AND DID BETTER FOR ALL - and we had to cry- like babies aw :(
Yep he warned America that would happen if Trump was elected, but Deplorable just would not listen. They wanted the nation to be lead by someone as deplorable as they are, and the teabagger messiah fit the bill.

Now all of those records are the new normal disasters and we lead the world in covid-19 deaths to boot.

Well you finally destroyed everything Obama built, and sent the nation plummeting to rock bottom.

Colorforms

Senator
Yep he warned America that would happen if Trump was elected, but Deplorable just would not listen. They wanted the nation to be lead by someone as deplorable as they are, and the teabagger messiah fit the bill.

Now all of those records are the new normal disasters and we lead the world in covid-19 deaths to boot.

Well you finally destroyed everything Obama built, and sent the nation plummeting to rock bottom.
No one said "If you elect Trump we'll work to destroy the country". Are we suppose to have taken that as implied?

Spamature

President
I can’t remember the last time Krugman was right about anything.
Oh and just so you know this happened.

You should see this too. @PhilFish

When the U.S. government’s official jobs report for May came out on Friday, it included a note at the bottom saying there had been a major “error” indicating that the unemployment rate likely should be higher than the widely reported 13.3 percent rate.
The special note said that if this “misclassification error” had not occurred, the “overall unemployment rate would have been about 3 percentage points higher than reported,” meaning the unemployment rate would be about 16.3 percent for May. But that would still be an improvement from an unemployment rate of about 19.7 percent for April, applying the same standards.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the agency that puts out the monthly jobs reports, said it was working to fix the problem.

“BLS and the Census Bureau are investigating why this misclassification error continues to occur and are taking additional steps to address the issue,” said a note at the bottom of the Bureau of Labor Statistics report.

Spamature

President
No one said "If you elect Trump we'll work to destroy the country". Are we suppose to have taken that as implied?
You wingers elected him and then you worked to destroy the country.

Apparently it wasn't just a right wing threat, you meant business.

Colorforms

Senator
You wingers elected him and then you worked to destroy the country.

Apparently it wasn't just a right wing threat, you meant business.
Really? That's not right wingers out there burning businesses and killing people. It wasn't under Obama and it isn't now. It wasn't "wingers" that stuck covid infected people into nursing homes, killing thousands. It was "wingers" who closed down businesses and put millions out of work. It wasn't "wingers" that put the country through a fake impeachment while the WHO was lying to the world about the nature of the Wuhan virus. That was all lefties.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member

New York Times columnist Paul Krugman apologized Friday after he was roasted for floating a "conspiracy theory" that President Trump could have influenced the Bureau of Labor Statistics

The U.S. unemployment rate unexpectedly dropped to 13.3 percent in May, down from a record high in April, indicating the nation's economy is recovering faster than expected from the coronavirus lockdown -- but Krugman didn't buy it.

“This being the Trump era, you can't completely discount the possibility that they've gotten to the BLS, but it's much more likely that the models used to produce these numbers — they aren't really raw data — have gone haywire in a time of pandemic,” Krugman said.

Employers added a stunning 2.5 million jobs in May -- the biggest increase on record. The jobless rate dropped from 14.7 percent in April, which was the highest level ever since record-keeping began in 1948. The surprise decline, combined with the surge in jobs, suggests the worst is over for the nation's economy as states ease stay-at-home guidelines and businesses bring back staff.

The Times columnist apologized in a follow-up tweet after he was hit with significant backlash.

Getting a lot of outraged pushback over even allowing the possibility of something amiss at BLS. I was just covering myself, because so many weird things have happened lately. But I apologize for any suggestion that a highly professional agency might have been corrupted,” Krugman wrote. “And as I look at the data, I'm starting to believe that the modest job gains may well have been real, not an artifact of the models.”

Krugman trended on social media for much of the morning as critics from all sides condemned his initial suggestion:

Spamature

President
Really? That's not right wingers out there burning businesses and killing people. It wasn't under Obama and it isn't now. It wasn't "wingers" that stuck covid infected people into nursing homes, killing thousands. It was "wingers" who closed down businesses and put millions out of work. It wasn't "wingers" that put the country through a fake impeachment while the WHO was lying to the world about the nature of the Wuhan virus. That was all lefties.
It was wingers who dismantled the pandemic response team. That has left us with a UE rate that is 3x Germany's.

It was wingers who wasted time and fantasized that the warnings were a "hoax" by Democrats. Who instead touted snake oil medicine miracle cures, and then failed to come up with a federal national response to contain the virus as other nations did leaving the nation with over 110k deaths so far.

It was a winger who said this about China:

Colorforms

Senator
It was wingers who dismantled the pandemic response team. That has left us with a UE rate that is 3x Germany's.

It was wingers who wasted time and fantasized that the warnings were a "hoax" by Democrats. Who instead touted snake oil medicine miracle cures, and then failed to come up with a federal national response to contain the virus as other nations did leaving the nation with over 110k deaths so far.

It was a winger who said this about China:
I know lefties need to hold onto that lie that Trump dismantled the pandemic response team, because that's really the only thing they can find to blame him for. It is, as usual with leftist, a total lie:

EVERY issue that the country is struggling with now is caused by democrats. And, as usual, you need to scapegoat others for your side's incompetence.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.

View attachment 52774
Context is everything:

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 7.32.32 PM.png

In fact, Obama was unable throughout his time in office to achieve the pre-recession UE for African Americans. Yet Trump blew through it in a little over one year in office on the way to the lowest African American UE in history. Pesky things...them facts..

Spamature

President
Context is everything:

View attachment 52813

In fact, Obama was unable throughout his time in office to achieve the pre-recession UE for African Americans. Yet Trump blew through it in a little over one year in office on the way to the lowest African American UE in history. Pesky things...them facts..
If you note on the graph I posted the UE rate from Jan 2017 is 7.5%

Here is what it was when he took office.

1591489913054.png

He lowered the black ue rate by over 5% from when he came into office, almost 10% off its peak, and did in fact get it below the pre recession level of 7.6%

1591490557718.png.

Let's see if Trump even comes close to getting it back to where Obama handed it off to him.

Last edited: