• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

NY Times: Cuomo and de Blasio didn’t keep up with the outbreak

excalibur

Mayor
Better late then never I suppose.

Finally, belatedly, the NY Times has published an article which takes a hard look at the coronavirus response by Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio. The article concludes that neither elected official did a great job responding to the virus:
For many days after the first positive test, as the coronavirus silently spread throughout the New York region, Mr. Cuomo, Mr. de Blasio and their top aides projected an unswerving confidence that the outbreak would be readily contained.
There would be cases, they repeatedly said, but New York’s hospitals were some of the best in the world. Plans were in place. Responses had been rehearsed during “tabletop” exercises. After all, the city had been here before — Ebola, Zika, the H1N1 virus, even Sept. 11.
“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York,” Mr. Cuomo said on March 2. “So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”…
“We can really keep this thing contained,” Mr. de Blasio said at a news conference about virus preparations in late February.
“Everybody is doing exactly what we need to do,” said Mr. Cuomo, seated with Mr. de Blasio, at a news conference on March 2. “We have been ahead of this from Day 1.”
But they weren’t ahead of it, they were behind. The Times notes that during the same March 2 news conference the Governor discussed the first confirmed case in the city, a woman who had flown to New York from Iran a week earlier. “Out of an abundance of caution we will be contacting the people who were on the flight with her from Iran to New York,” Cuomo said. But that never happened. No one ever followed up with other passengers and Cuomo never mentioned it again.

Last edited:

Jack4freedom

Governor

Finally, belatedly, the NY Times has published an article which takes a hard look at the coronavirus response by Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio. The article concludes that neither elected official did a great job responding to the virus:
For many days after the first positive test, as the coronavirus silently spread throughout the New York region, Mr. Cuomo, Mr. de Blasio and their top aides projected an unswerving confidence that the outbreak would be readily contained.
There would be cases, they repeatedly said, but New York’s hospitals were some of the best in the world. Plans were in place. Responses had been rehearsed during “tabletop” exercises. After all, the city had been here before — Ebola, Zika, the H1N1 virus, even Sept. 11.
“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York,” Mr. Cuomo said on March 2. “So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”…
“We can really keep this thing contained,” Mr. de Blasio said at a news conference about virus preparations in late February.
“Everybody is doing exactly what we need to do,” said Mr. Cuomo, seated with Mr. de Blasio, at a news conference on March 2. “We have been ahead of this from Day 1.”
But they weren’t ahead of it, they were behind. The Times notes that during the same March 2 news conference the Governor discussed the first confirmed case in the city, a woman who had flown to New York from Iran a week earlier. “Out of an abundance of caution we will be contacting the people who were on the flight with her from Iran to New York,” Cuomo said. But that never happened. No one ever followed up with other passengers and Cuomo never mentioned it again.

I agree. Everyone could have done better. It seems that Inslee and Newsome did better than most. Trump’s team seems to be working hard to inform the public now. If only they could get Trump to shut his ignorant pie hole about things he knows absolutely nothing about we can all overcome past mistakes and control this thing. Glad to see you are using a credible source instead of Fox or Infowars.

Emily

NSDAP Kanzler
the city had been here before — Ebola, Zika, the H1N1 virus
and didn't have lock-downs for them like for C-19. Hmmm?

Finally, belatedly, the NY Times has published an article which takes a hard look at the coronavirus response by Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio. The article concludes that neither elected official did a great job responding to the virus
CuomoVirus...? deBlasioVirus...? Nah, that would be as silly as calling it TrumpVirus or something.

Spamature

President
But @Spamature claimed the job they did was spectacular. Someone is lying. One guess on who.....
He declared it a state emergency 6 days after the first infection. Schools started closing a day later. 5 days later he shut down bars and restaurants, bars and mass gatherings. 6 days later a complete shut down.

Still waiting on Trump to do anything in regards to mitigating the spread. Now we know that is going on 6 months before the intel agencies gave warnings about the threat of this virus.

6 months of dithering is a whole lot of dithering.

You could say Old Slothy dithers BIGLY indeed !

Perhaps newspapers are simply bonkers if they believe politicians have the power - and duty- to prevent plagues, droughts, pestilence, and sin . . .?

excalibur

Mayor
He declared it a state emergency 6 days after the first infection. Schools started closing a day later. 5 days later he shut down bars and restaurants, bars and mass gatherings. 6 days later a complete shut down.

Maybe you could read the OP? Here is one little bit.

Spamature

President
Maybe you could read the OP? Here is one little bit.

No he was not ahead of it, few if any were. Some still haven't even acted at this late date.

Mick

The Right is always right
And this was HOW long after Trump had the CDC on it, declared a public health emergency, assembled a task force with pandemic experts, and had banned travel from China again?

Facts matter.

Cuomo was really good about screaming about ventilators that emotional pansy had plenty of, however.
Still waiting on Trump to do anything in regards to mitigating the spread. Now we know that is going on 6 months before the intel agencies gave warnings about the threat of this virus.

6 months of dithering is a whole lot of dithering.

You could say Old Slothy dithers BIGLY indeed !
Six months now? ROFL!!! Your conspiracies grow larger and more insane by the hour. We've already listed many things that Trump was doing it......many, many weeks before a single Democrat lifted a finger. Of course, Democrats were busy claiming that travel bans don't work and Trump was racist for doing it. Now blue states are getting savagely ripped apart. Karma's a bitch, eh?

Lulz

Nutty Cortez

Dummy (D) NY
DiBlobio was telling folks to ignore Trump and join in parades and crap. Cuomo is just his normal idiot self.
It's obvious, where you total breakdown and failure- NY, Detroit, New Orleans

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
I agree. Everyone could have done better. It seems that Inslee and Newsome did better than most. Trump’s team seems to be working hard to inform the public now. If only they could get Trump to shut his ignorant pie hole about things he knows absolutely nothing about we can all overcome past mistakes and control this thing. Glad to see you are using a credible source instead of Fox or Infowars.
Probably because of the predominance of Asians, particularly Chinese, residing on the west coast, especially Seattle, San Francisco and LA. The fact of the matter is that, as the facts about this disease come out, in particular that March deaths overall were less this year than in prior years, Trump was actually prescient in cautioning against overreacting and destroying the US economy. We could have simply imposed social distancing and hygiene measures and only "locked down" our most vulnerable citizens, and we would have survived this episode without shutting down the economy.

As I have been maintaining from the get go, the reactions were overly extreme - a position borne out by the facts coming out now. I'm left wondering why the democrats went ape shit over this and, with the help of their comrades in the media, turned it into the second coming of the bubonic plague (which it decidedly is not). And the only answer I can come up with is the notion that shutting down the economy and taking the legs out from under Trump's reelection campaign really looked good to them. It doesn't get lower than that...

Nutty Cortez

Dummy (D) NY
The Intelligent readers agree. Here are the top comments on the article.

• This is an honest article about the worst area affected in the U.S. by the new CoronaVirus. I’ve seen countless articles about Trump’s incompetence and while all true, NY leaders have to take ownership of their part in this disaster and learn from it, because there will likely be a second wave of cases at some point.
  • There is nothing to explain New York’s skyrocketing rates of infections and deaths other than mismanagement at the highest levels. Cuomo demonstrated an early hubris…now he isadmitting his mistakes and playing contrite. De Blasio was always out of his league.The city is known for its arrogance and disregard for rules other “less cool and sophisticated” places adhere to. Well, this is the result.
  • Finally the mainstream media is catching up.Cuomo is taking so much credit and concealing responsibilities.
    – misinformed about airborne transmission
    -misinformed about asymptomatic carriers spreading the virus.
    California may be not as densely populated as NY, but they tackled the outbreak early on.
    Cuomo and De Blasio ignored the data from Italy and China.
    If schools and construction sites would have been closed earlier, along with bars and restaurants would NY have faced less cases and deaths?
  • Wow somebody FINALLY acknowledged that Cuomo/De Blasio waited way too long for lockdown/shelter in place efforts. Being good at mitigation and communication does not and should not excuse Cuomo’s earlier inaction. Thank you for true journalism.
  • Lately, Cuomo has been doing a good job managing a crisis that he helped to create, but even that has been over-rated due to what is basically slick marketing. DeBlasio has been an unmitigated disaster every step of the way, and many people have died, with many more still to come, as a result. And over the long term the economic damage to NYC and the entire metropolitan area will be at least an order of magnitude more than if he had been even minimally competent.
  • Results speak louder than words – and NY has clearly not succeeded.
  • The agonizing week it took to finally decide to close the schools, with neither Cuomo nor DeBlasio wanting to pull the trigger, was ridiculous. It’s the governors of Ohio, Washington and California who should be given air time every day. They got it, our leaders didn’t.
  • “Mr. de Blasio ordered schools in New York to close three days later” Not totally true. He did close schools for students on March 16, but made the teachers go in on the 17th, 18th, and 19th. Many of those teachers, including my wife, are now sick. There was no reason to force them to go in and put their lives at risk when there were many other alternatives.
  • I work as a teacher in a Bronx neighborhood right next to New Rochelle. Every day I would board extremely packed trains in Chinatow and commute through the upper Manhattan and Bronx neighborhoods that now have had explosions of COVID-19 cases and deaths. De Blasio should’ve closed the public schools!
  • I was bothered by the hyper-focus on the shortcomings in the federal response with almost nothing about the local issues. New York’s outbreak is 10 times worse than the next closest state, and that can’t all be the federal government’s fault.
  • The teachers union was begging DeBlasio to close the schools on March 9th when staff started coming down with the virus. Keeping the city open kept people on the commuter rails, subways and buses. Thus the huge numbers of infected in Westcheater, Nassua, Suffulk and North Jersey on top of the city count. The Federal government does not have the authority to close schools and cities, that power rests with mayors and Govenors. Just look at the number for the bay area in California. In this pandemic the area did fantastic, compared to New York.
  • I’m confused; I read this entire article and I hardly found any blaming of Trump. I was under the impression that everything horrible going on was Trump’s fault, but this article makes it seem as though other political leaders — and Democrats at that! — are also culpable.I can only assume Rupert Murdoch has secretly purchased the Times.

That last one is obviously sarcastic. And speaking of sarcasm, I have to wonder why the NY Times selected this comment as one of it’s recommended choices:

Mr. Friscus

Governor
I agree. Everyone could have done better.
I agree as well, but tell that to the Democrat leaders and the media. Geez, the way they are rewriting history, you'd think they were calling for quarantines on Jan 1st and Trump acted yesterday.

Meanwhile, while there is blame to go around, there are areas were there isn't. Sometimes, car accidents happen. I don't think, given how we were betrayed by China and the WHO, that we ever had an opportunity to truly deal with this appropriately. By the time we knew enough, it was too late.

I'm not excusing the CDC here, but I also know that if a meteor hits the planet, it's not the president's fault, no matter who is in office.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
interesting. so it IS true...many were unprepared, including the NY administration...AND the Trump administration is NOT solely responsible for everything....

wow.