• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Obama nails it.

"So no, we were not going to take a knee and do nothing. We were not going to give up on your jobs, your families, and your communities. In exchange for help, we demanded responsibility. We said the auto industry would have to truly change, not just pretend that it did. We got labor and management to settle their differences. We got the industry to retool and restructure. Everyone involved made sacrifices. Everyone had some skin in the game. It wasn’t popular. And it wasn’t what I ran for President to do. But I ran to do the tough things – the right things –no matter the politics.

And you know why I knew this rescue would succeed? It wasn’t because of anything the government did. It wasn’t just because of anything management did. It was because I believed in you. I placed my bet on American workers. And I’d make that same bet again any day of the week. Because three years later, that bet is paying off for America. Three years later, the American auto industry is back.

Today, GM is back on top as the number one automaker in the world, with the highest profits in its 100-year history. Chrysler is growing faster in America than any other car company. Ford is investing billions in American plants and factories, and plans to bring thousands of jobs back home. All told, the entire industry has added more than 200,000 new jobs over the past two and a half years. 200,000 new jobs.

And you’re not just building cars again. You’re building better cars. After three decades of inaction, we’re gradually putting in place the toughest fuel economy standards in history for our cars and pickups. That means the cars you build will average nearly 55 miles per gallon by the middle of the next decade – almost double what they get today. That means folks will be able to fill up every two weeks instead of every week, saving the typical family more than $8,000 at the pump over time. That means we’ll cut our oil consumption by more than 2 million barrels a day"

There is no way the GOP can win this fight. You might as well be against apple pie if you argue against the American Worker. Romney will be annihilated in the general with this line of argument.

Lukey

Senator
So if Obama single handedly rescued the US auto industry, how is it that Ford, which took nothing, is doing so well? Isn't it just a) the normal replacement cycle where people who bought cars before the downturn and held off as long as they could just needed to start replacing them and b) a big boost (last year) from the Japanese brands being (more or less) off-line for six months after their tsunami & nuclear melt down? And isn't it also just as likely that, had the Obama Administration not stepped in, Chryslers would still be being produced at the same pace (owned by Kirk Kerkorian) and so would GM brands, (owned by various other billionaires and/or private equity partnerships)?

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Not to mention that we're up to our neck in further debt due to Nerobama's attempt to 'save the auto industry'...from itself.

Bo-4

Senator
All you need for proof that he nailed it is the ODS afflicted fish already in the net! ;-)

jammer

Mayor
That's easy Lukey. Because of the bailout, Ford got to keep most of their suppliers, which would have folded if GM and Chrylser had gone bankrupt, and worked with their unions to have a similar deal.
Ford management has admitted that without the bailout, they too would have gone under.
As for the question of would GM and Chrysler be enjoying the comeback, the answer is no. They wouldn't even exist after their assets were sold off and there would be almost a million more unemployed in the US.

Bo-4

Senator
That's easy Lukey. Because of the bailout, Ford got to keep most of their suppliers, which would have folded if GM and Chrylser had gone bankrupt, and worked with their unions to have a similar deal.
Ford management has admitted that without the bailout, they too would have gone under.
As for the question of would GM and Chrysler be enjoying the comeback, the answer is no. They wouldn't even exist after their assets were sold off and there would be almost a million more unemployed in the US.
Lukey ignores overwhelming evidence that there was NO MONEY waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces. GM and Chrysler would be dead along with 1.5 million jobs.

What part of GM and Chrysler did you miss about this historical turnaround? I find it hilarious watching you right wingers flip out over the success of our first black POTUS. Like he said "what is it about working folks do those guys hate so much?" Keep on working it, I am sure there are a few white, Christian anti-union folks out there that would vote for a cigar store indian statue if you put a sign around it saying "Obama sucks".

Lukey

Senator
So there isn't one billionaire smart enough to have seen that these businesses would be rolling in the dough ray me by the billions after such a short time frame who would have stepped in and bought these assets out of bankruptcy? Surely you must be joking.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
He didn't bet on American workers. He bet that taxpayer money could prop up a failing industry to save it from itself.

of course, the taxpayer lost and Nerobama and his union masters won.

Lukey

Senator
What part of GM and Chrysler did you miss about this historical turnaround? I find it hilarious watching you right wingers flip out over the success of our first black POTUS. Like he said "what is it about working folks do those guys hate so much?" Keep on working it, I am sure there are a few white, Christian anti-union folks out there that would vote for a cigar store indian statue if you put a sign around it saying "Obama sucks".
Your race card playing doesn't phase me. I voted for Lynn Swann for governor of PA a decade ago. And you still have no proof that Obama had ANYTHING to do with this turnaround. The MARKET turned around. And Kirk Kerkorian tried to buy 100% of Chrysler just a year before it got into trouble. If you look at his resume you'd know that its trouble wouldn't have stopped him from stepping in with an even lower bid once it got into bankruptcy court. He'd be chuckling at his good luck of being rejected in 2007.

I do say. In fact, I mention it every single time with most right wingers...kind of drives home the point that the promise of America has been finally realized by virtue of us choosing a black POTUS....you got a problem with that? I would think that most red state wingers would be damn proud to admit that despite racism and our history we managed to elect a black man as POTUS...you are proud of this aren't you?

fairsheet

Senator
The Obaman's rescue of the American auto industry was a historic and remarkable accomplishment for them, and for us. It was the sort of thing we'd all given up on in terms of American possibility, since clear back in the JFK days.

I can only pity the desperate likes of C-B and Lukey, who have so much of themselves wrapped up in Obama-hate, they can't allow themselves the slightest American pride and satisfaction in all this. Too bad for them....They're free to wallow in their their sacks-of-sorries, if they so choose.