• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Obama nails it.

Lukey

Senator
Wow, that's a stretch. I think some replacement parts need to be imported, but new manufacture? I doubt that Nissan is making parts in Japan and then assembling them into new cars in Tennessee. Those parts all come onto the line in perfect order for the exact vehicle in an exact location on the line... that's done via shipping, so stretching the shipping half way across the world would make that process totally insane.

What i remember reading after the tsunami was that it put a six month kink into new car production in Japan, and as I recall, that was giving us a boost in the overseas market (like China, where GM is doing great guns)... not that it affected the American market. Toyota sales have dropped for the past five years, here, they are just losing market with the same models and a big drop off in quality.
Actually you are correct. US production was not (much) affected. It was more the (six months or so) absence from the US market of some of their most popular models that are imported (like the Prius). Still, we need to see them continue to build market share this year or the future for these companies is not as bright as the President is implying in his campaign speeches.

Lukey

Senator
I bet you chum a lot when you go fishing too...btw, do you know the Russian joke about Marx?

Everything Marx told us about communism was wrong but everything he said about capitalism was right.

Marx was a brilliant man and had a lot of very accurate things to say about 19th century industrialism. It is unfortunate that he tried to create a remedy for it. If he had just stuck with describing reality his reputation as an economist would be a lot better. Not everything he did was bad you know...
How is that all that different from Winston Churchill's "Capitalism is the worst economic system, except for all the others?"