• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Oh no say it isn't so

http://jalopnik.com/5890072/gm-halts-chevy-volt-production-because-sales-suck

GM Halts Chevy Volt Production Because Sales Suck
General Motors has told 1,300 employees at the automaker's Detroit Hamtramck plant they will be temporarily laid off for five weeks as the company halts production of the Chevrolet Volt and its European counterpart, the Opel Ampera.

"Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand," said GM spokesman Chris Lee to the Detroit Free Press. Another way of phrasing that? Because sales still suck.

Lee said employees were told Thursday that production would put on hold from March 19 to April 23.

Chevrolet sold 1,023 Volts in the U.S. in February and has sold 1,626 so far this year.
I think that the people have spoken on the electric car. Like I said in an earlier thread, the idea of the electric car has been around and tried for almost 200 years and still hasn't gotten off the ground. Another dumb idea from a man sitting in his Ivory Tower handing down edicts from on high.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
http://jalopnik.com/5890072/gm-halts-chevy-volt-production-because-sales-suck

I think that the people have spoken on the electric car. Like I said in an earlier thread, the idea of the electric car has been around and tried for almost 200 years and still hasn't gotten off the ground. Another dumb idea from a man sitting in his Ivory Tower handing down edicts from on high.
The Volt was first introduced in 2007. Not sure what Ivory Tower edict you mean.

Yes, electric cars have had trouble with range. Battery life and disposal also remain an issue. But advancements continue to be made...and new ideas regarding batteries, such as swap stations as opposed to plug in re-chargers.

However, electric vehicles can be very useful in some situations. The Golf Cart is of course a major use of the ev. More and more communities are either making allowances for street use...or designing paths for these vehicles. The Villages, FL...and Peachtree City, GA are two of the larger ones. They eliminate the need for full sized autos for most trips.

Lincoln, CA is also very friendly to ev's...GEM vehicles have been the choice there.

No...they will not fully replace internal combustion engines, but they do have a place.

Days

Commentator
what's your point? Bail out was bad? The bail out saved the entire General Motors... which includes failures, that's part of the car business. If you had bought stock in Ford back when the Edsel flopped, you would have been a very wise man.

The Volt was first introduced in 2007. Not sure what Ivory Tower edict you mean.

Yes, electric cars have had trouble with range. Battery life and disposal also remain an issue. But advancements continue to be made...and new ideas regarding batteries, such as swap stations as opposed to plug in re-chargers.

However, electric vehicles can be very useful in some situations. The Golf Cart is of course a major use of the ev. More and more communities are either making allowances for street use...or designing paths for these vehicles. The Villages, FL...and Peachtree City, GA are two of the larger ones. They eliminate the need for full sized autos for most trips.

Lincoln, CA is also very friendly to ev's...GEM vehicles have been the choice there.

No...they will not fully replace internal combustion engines, but they do have a place.
The point being that though the electric car concept has been around since the 1830s, all the improvements that have been done to it hasn't made a difference, they are still not a viable means of long distance transportation. The only place that the electric car is of any use is on the golf course or a society (town) like the Villages where you do not have to travel great distances to shop, etc. However, in such society (town) one could walk instead of driving a 50,000$ boondoggle, which means one would stay healthier.

what's your point? Bail out was bad? The bail out saved the entire General Motors... which includes failures, that's part of the car business. If you had bought stock in Ford back when the Edsel flopped, you would have been a very wise man.
Yes in this case the bailout was bad and the Obama mandate on electric vehicles was a bust also. It was a savior of the union and no one else. Yes you would have been wise to have bought Ford stock inspite of the Edsel flop, because Ford had more going for it other than the Edsel. Also if you had bought Ford stock back than you would have realized a good return on your investment by now.

I am sure that GM will recover from this but it is the edict (mandate) from the Marxist Chief in Ivory Tower that shows the folly of government intrusion into the private sector. Eveytime it has been tried it has failed.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
The point being that though the electric car concept has been around since the 1830s, all the improvements that have been done to it hasn't made a difference, they are still not a viable means of long distance transportation. The only place that the electric car is of any use is on the golf course or a society (town) like the Villages where you do not have to travel great distances to shop, etc. However, in such society (town) one could walk instead of driving a 50,000$ boondoggle, which means one would stay healthier.

Well...The Volt isn't $50,000...so...maybe a bit more truth would be good. A quick search of local inventory shows $39,145 and $40,280. Adding $10,000 to make a point is rather dishonest, wouldn't you agree?

Yes...and the Volt attempts to address the range issue...and has done so with a fairly elegant solution, imo. Most car trips are less than 5 miles. It is abhorrent to me that people get into 7000 pound SUVs to drive to the grocery store for a quart of milk. If one uses the Volt in such a way...they would purchase almost no gas over the lifetime of the car. ONLY when they do use it for longer trips does gasoline become a need. Seems a great concept...and improvements will be made. People were unsure of the Prius when it hit the markets. No longer.

And as improvements are made and associated development costs get disbursed through the years, the cost will be lower. No technology is embraced immediately.

And if health is your concern...maybe we should adopt the Dutch model and bike everywhere...

Well...The Volt isn't $50,000...so...maybe a bit more truth would be good. A quick search of local inventory shows $39,145 and $40,280. Adding $10,000 to make a point is rather dishonest, wouldn't you agree?

Yes...and the Volt attempts to address the range issue...and has done so with a fairly elegant solution, imo. Most car trips are less than 5 miles. It is abhorrent to me that people get into 7000 pound SUVs to drive to the grocery store for a quart of milk. If one uses the Volt in such a way...they would purchase almost no gas over the lifetime of the car. ONLY when they do use it for longer trips does gasoline become a need. Seems a great concept...and improvements will be made. People were unsure of the Prius when it hit the markets. No longer.

And as improvements are made and associated development costs get disbursed through the years, the cost will be lower. No technology is embraced immediately.

And if health is your concern...maybe we should adopt the Dutch model and bike everywhere...
I would agree that 50,000$ was to high, when I anwser from my e-mail I do not research.

Well it is great for the city slickers who don't have to travel very far to conduct business and that is what you look at with out taking into fact that all people have to travel great distances to do the same thing. So as in my case since I have distances to travel to conduct my business, I do it once a week taking care of everything at once. You see I don't use much gas at all, about 10 gallons a week. If I have a drs. appt. I have to travel an hr. to get to it, if my wife has a drs. appt. we have to travel 45 minutes. The electric vehicle is not sutiable for many people but yet the left would force it on us all.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I would agree that 50,000$ was to high, when I anwser from my e-mail I do not research.

Well it is great for the city slickers who don't have to travel very far to conduct business and that is what you look at with out taking into fact that all people have to travel great distances to do the same thing. So as in my case since I have distances to travel to conduct my business, I do it once a week taking care of everything at once. You see I don't use much gas at all, about 10 gallons a week. If I have a drs. appt. I have to travel an hr. to get to it, if my wife has a drs. appt. we have to travel 45 minutes. The electric vehicle is not sutiable for many people but yet the left would force it on us all.
Correct. Hence, the dual nature of The Volt. No gas for local shopping, the bulk of travel...but a gas engine for the 45 minute/mile trip.

No one has forced it on you. GM has been developing EVs for a long time. The limited owners of the EV1 loved it. It's called choice. If the Volt doesn't meet your needs...don't buy it. Easy solution, no?

Correct. Hence, the dual nature of The Volt. No gas for local shopping, the bulk of travel...but a gas engine for the 45 minute/mile trip.

No one has forced it on you. GM has been developing EVs for a long time. The limited owners of the EV1 loved it. It's called choice. If the Volt doesn't meet your needs...don't buy it. Easy solution, no?
You are correct, no one as forced one on me yet, but just like Obamacare, I don't want it forced on me either. I am happy with my 94 Silverado and I can afford to run it, so why shouldn't I?

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
You are correct, no one as forced one on me yet, but just like Obamacare, I don't want it forced on me either. I am happy with my 94 Silverado and I can afford to run it, so why shouldn't I?
Who says you can't? I haven't heard anyone say they were coming to confiscate your truck. Indeed...the resources used in making your truck are already gone. It is typically greener to keep that old truck running well than to purchase any new vehicle.

Did you want Medicare and Social Security forced on you?

NightSwimmer

Senator
We get it... President Obama shouldn't be reelected, because you don't like the Chevy Volt.

Probably the best argument I've heard yet. That, and the whole Birth Certificate thing.

Who says you can't? I haven't heard anyone say they were coming to confiscate your truck. Indeed...the resources used in making your truck are already gone. It is typically greener to keep that old truck running well than to purchase any new vehicle.

Did you want Medicare and Social Security forced on you?
Did you notice the word YET in the post you responded to. That means that somewhere down the road, the left will try it, they always do. That was forced on me, Medicare atleast. You have to sign up for it when you turn 65, no way out of it unless you have a provate paln, and even than I'm not sure.

We get it... President Obama shouldn't be reelected, because you don't like the Chevy Volt.

Probably the best argument I've heard yet. That, and the whole Birth Certificate thing.
No President Obama shouldn't be relected because he violated his oath the uphold and defend the Constitution, that is why he has to be replaced. The birth certificate thing does not swm with me. He had one parent who was an Anerican citizen, that tells me he is an American citizen also. So don't try and align me with the right on BS like that because it ain't going to happen.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Did you notice the word YET in the post you responded to. That means that somewhere down the road, the left will try it, they always do. That was forced on me, Medicare atleast. You have to sign up for it when you turn 65, no way out of it unless you have a provate paln, and even than I'm not sure.
Yet is a word much like if. Too vague to mean anything in such a discussion. So...you believe the "left" will at some point in the future...attempt to confiscate your truck? Because they've always done it? Okie dokie...

Days

Commentator
Well, last I heard, GM is #1 manufacturer in China. That's going to go a long way towards making this a wise move. Frankly, I thought all the bailouts worked, even the ones that lost money. AIG being the biggest. But the state underwrites its insurers... always has, otherwise the dominoes fall.

Bear in mind, that we taxpayers lost zero gold. This is all fiat money. It is artificial money to begin with, it isn't really even money, its more like accounting entries. You do realize that any time we feel like it, the Treasury can print it's own money and stop the income tax altogether? Once again, it ain't gold!

Yet is a word much like if. Too vague to mean anything in such a discussion. So...you believe the "left" will at some point in the future...attempt to confiscate your truck? Because they've always done it? Okie dokie...
I am saying that I don't trust what the left says. Like the present Commander in Chief, they say one thing and do another. So howe can anyone trust them?

Well, last I heard, GM is #1 manufacturer in China. That's going to go a long way towards making this a wise move. Frankly, I thought all the bailouts worked, even the ones that lost money. AIG being the biggest. But the state underwrites its insurers... always has, otherwise the dominoes fall.

Bear in mind, that we taxpayers lost zero gold. This is all fiat money. It is artificial money to begin with, it isn't really even money, its more like accounting entries. You do realize that any time we feel like it, the Treasury can print it's own money and stop the income tax altogether? Once again, it ain't gold!
and what happens when all of this paper work fails? The liberal house of cards comes crashing down, who are you going to blame than, the right or the ones who printed all the bogus bills?

Days

Commentator
You seem to think money is liberal or conservative... it isn't. It is just money. I was totally against bailing out the banks for the simple reason that the FED was bailing them out; but Obama attached conditions and those banks paid back that money fast to get out from under the conditions. The rest of the bail-outs made sense... and worked.

What didn't get done was Treasury home owner loans. That was the big failure; they didn't do enough.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I am saying that I don't trust what the left says. Like the present Commander in Chief, they say one thing and do another. So howe can anyone trust them?
You really don't know what you're saying. You're just whining. You did imply that the left has tried to take your truck in te past and will do so in the future. It's a bit toward the paranoid side...because in my life...I have never seen the Feds attempt to confiscate anything.

We didn't trust Bush. Did you? I'm guessing you trusted Bush, Bush, Reagan, Ford and Nixon...while you distrusted Carter, Clinton and Obama.

Ho him...